Donewaiting Friendship Farm
http://donewaiting.com/board/

The Wire....real talk
http://donewaiting.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21363
Page 1 of 3

Author:  jill ebenezer [ Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:19 pm ]
Post subject:  The Wire....real talk

Season 4 comes out Tues. I've seen most of the season and it is on the same level as seasons 2 and 3. I'll avoid spoilers because spoilers ruined part of season 4 for me. Best show on tv.

Author:  DeVille [ Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Wire....real talk

jill ebenezer wrote:
Best show on tv.

Yes.

I've only seen 1-3, and I've also been kind of spoiled on 4 (damn you, Bill Simmons!) but I eagerly await this DVD set. And the fact that Season 5 is in the bag and ready to go is quite a relief since most of the other shows seem likely not to air.

Author:  jill ebenezer [ Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:21 am ]
Post subject: 

Five is the last season too. Bummer. Apparently in Baltimore there was a "McNulty Is Moving" yard sale of props from the show

Author:  DeVille [ Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

This starts Sunday. HBO sent me the first few episodes of the season, so I wrote a preview. Don't worry, it's not too spoiler-y, although it does set the scene.

Something I forgot to mention in the story is the feeling that this season, perhaps because it's only 10 episodes long, seems to get right to the action a lot more quickly than previous seasons.

Also, I really enjoyed David Simon's pretentious rantings here. Love that guy.

Author:  sqr [ Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

definately the best thing on tv.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

sqr wrote:
definately the best thing on tv.


Well, I was raised by a crack dealer married to an undercover narcotics officer in Baltimore and can tell you it's horrible. Not only do they not talk like that, the accents are all wrong. It's like someone watched some show about DC crime and made a whole show about it without knowing anything more.

Oh...and Maryland crab cakes are WAY different than they appear on this show.

travesty.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

So, I've been catching up. Best...ever...use...of...Fuck
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM[/youtube]

Author:  Joelseph [ Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

DeVille wrote:
This starts Sunday. HBO sent me the first few episodes of the season, so I wrote a preview. Don't worry, it's not too spoiler-y, although it does set the scene.

Something I forgot to mention in the story is the feeling that this season, perhaps because it's only 10 episodes long, seems to get right to the action a lot more quickly than previous seasons.

Also, I really enjoyed David Simon's pretentious rantings here. Love that guy.


Nice preview. Can't wait. And I'm so glad McNulty is back. (oops--edited out possible spoiler)

Author:  DeVille [ Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

First four seasons summarized in four and a half minutes. The spoiler to end all spoilers, obviously, so don't watch it if you have any desire to be surprised when you finally get around to watching this stuff on DVD (as you should).

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=IWjLquLREJU[/youtube]

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

not watching that, midway through season 2 now and have to say THANK GOD for this thread and a couple other recommends.

Great TV.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I love the little subtleties of this show. Many references to Homicide: Life on the Street for one. I was really knocked back by the revelation that Rawls was gay...even though it was never even touched on again other than about 8 seconds of TV.

OH! and other HBO shows for sure. Deadwood in the hospital, Omar and boyfriend watching Oz, Journey playing the final Soprano's tune last episode, etc.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

WARNING!!!!!!

so there's a few episodes (5, 6, 7) out on torrents, skipping episode 4. I thought, what the hell..how much can I miss in one episode, and I love this show now...so I'm getting them.

I watched 15 seconds of episode 5 and realized I missed HUGE EVENTS in episode 4...DO NOT MAKE MY MISTAKE! :shock:

Author:  DeVille [ Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:06 pm ]
Post subject: 

PinheadFestival wrote:
WARNING!!!!!!

so there's a few episodes (5, 6, 7) out on torrents, skipping episode 4. I thought, what the hell..how much can I miss in one episode, and I love this show now...so I'm getting them.

I watched 15 seconds of episode 5 and realized I missed HUGE EVENTS in episode 4...DO NOT MAKE MY MISTAKE! :shock:

You fool!

Author:  DeVille [ Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

So what does everybody think of this fake serial killer storyline? I am a fan, but I tend to give shows the benefit of the doubt when others start rambling about sharks.

Others have drawn the same parallel: I think it's on par with Hamsterdam. It doesn't seem in keeping with the show's acclaimed realism, but it works for me in the context of a desperate Jimmy and Lester tired of getting thwarted by their own people.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

DeVille wrote:
So what does everybody think of this fake serial killer storyline? I am a fan, but I tend to give shows the benefit of the doubt when others start rambling about sharks.

Others have drawn the same parallel: I think it's on par with Hamsterdam. It doesn't seem in keeping with the show's acclaimed realism, but it works for me in the context of a desperate Jimmy and Lester tired of getting thwarted by their own people.


Yeah, honestly I'm kind of buying it. I mean, it's low profile homeless deaths that they're messing with so would probably go unnoticed a lot easier. As long as they don't start rubbing guys out themselves...

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

p.s. HBO is showing next week's episodes starting today on On Demand and doing this the rest of the season.

BIG week, next week.

Author:  jill ebenezer [ Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm into the serial killer storyline. I mean, the department may not give it a once over since no one is receiving ot pay and couple that with the Daniels promotion (shake up), no cop really gives a shit (except Bunk).

Omar storyline is about to get nuts.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

So, I've seen up to episode 7 now...this show just rocks, can't believe this is the last season.

Look for a great shout out to Homicide: Life on the Streets (another one, there's been several) coming up. Not a spoiler, it's a tiny thing, it's just cool to see if you were a fan of the show.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

You know, it wasn't until the SAG Awards tonight I realized that Oscar and other award nominee for Gone, Baby, Gone Amy Ryan is BEADIE from this show!!!

Author:  DeVille [ Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:26 am ]
Post subject: 

So.... Prop Joe is dead.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:48 am ]
Post subject: 

DeVille wrote:
So.... Prop Joe is dead.


LOL...yeah, my silly move of skipping ahead? I watched the next like 30 seconds of the next episode and it's dude saying "Prop Joe was a good guy, but he had to go" :shock:

I gotta say, sad to see it happen, as Prop Joe was one of my favorite characters...but the resurgence of other characters over the rest of the season kind of makes up for it (and it is the LAST season and all).

Author:  jill ebenezer [ Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 am ]
Post subject: 

It suprised me to see Prop Joe go but after the shenanigans he pulled in season 4 w/ the co-op I thought it might come.

Author:  DeVille [ Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

jill ebenezer wrote:
It suprised me to see Prop Joe go but after the shenanigans he pulled in season 4 w/ the co-op I thought it might come.

Joe's manipulation of people seems more honorable because it was in the name of maintaining order, but ultimately he was still using people like pawns and that's always going to catch up to you in The Wire.

Author:  PinheadFestival [ Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Prop Joe, the Early Years :D

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=b3nzDngAMXQ[/youtube]

Author:  jill ebenezer [ Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Omar as the new Batman was the worst thing I have ever seen in this series. I hope it is explained in a believable way.

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/