Donewaiting Friendship Farm
http://donewaiting.com/board/

Batman: The Dark Knight
http://donewaiting.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19019
Page 4 of 5

Author:  coydog [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

She always does.

Author:  BastardSuperstar [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

unpossibles wrote:
I wanna see it on IMax next time instead of the ghettoplex.


watching the screen go from normal movie picture-ratio to IMAX-blow-up during the 4 imax scenes was subtle til you noticed it, and then it became AMAZING!!!!

seeing president deebo (tiny zeus lister's official nickname since seeing both friday and 5th element) was brilliant, and then for him to be the most honorable man in the movie just fucking killed me.


more bat-dorkerey: lost to most histories of the earlier films is this little factoid . . . eric roberts, who played boss maroni, was originally tim burton's pick for the joker in the keaton flick until nicholson told the studio he wanted the role, and WB forced burton's hand . . . i've always wanted to see his screen tests as the joker.

and yes, every outfit that mags wore was fucking gorgeous. and those boots!!!! god, those boots . . .

Author:  unpossibles [ Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

BastardSuperstar wrote:
and yes, every outfit that mags wore was fucking gorgeous. and those boots!!!! god, those boots . . .

That's cause she was trying to impress me.

Author:  SonofSound [ Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

my dad used to watch the adam west tv show back in the 60's. he really liked batman begins, but wasn't into the dark knight. he thought that this movie was too complicated, and liked it back when big actors could be on the show and just be silly.

got me thinking about the spectrum of the mythology of batman...someone should have a screening of the "shark repellent" batman back-to-back w/ this version; serve jello shots for the first movie, irish car bombs for the second. it's amazing to think what kind of batman movies will be made in 40 years - this has been a process of improvement, but at some point, the viewers have their choice in what kind of batman to indulge in, and the spectrum will only get wider as long as the name makes money. I keep telling this to star wars geeks still rubbing their noggins over the shitty prequels, they're gonna get redone after the fat man dies.


as to an older dude not "getting" it, which seems to be a case w/ a lot of the more grumpy NYC reviewers (j. morgenstern of the wall st. journal, d. fear of time out new york, new yorker, etc.), they kinda need to look @ nolan's entire list of overall themes in films to have TDK make a bit more sense. memento intended to jar the viewer's linear thought. the prestige was one big magic trick. and the dark knight is meant to terrorize the viewer. there are distinct choices that nolan has made as a filmmaker that transcend the patina of blockbuster movies.

take the sound editing. what do we hear when harvey dent reaches for the coin and realizes the love of his life is dead? or when the viewer is finally let in on the secret that the joker meant to break in to the police station as he takes feral whiffs of free air?

nothing.

these are key emotional moments in the film where directors like tim burton, joel schumacher, michael bay or james cameron would've dredged the vocal track for as much emotional "depth" as possible. nolan simply lets the power of the buildup to those paying attention to the plot fuel the rapport between visual stimulus and the attentive voyeur.

it's no
Image
Image Image
but it works for me.

my one gripe with the sound editing is that the soundtrack seems a little...dated at times. they could really use a fresh theme.

I think the new joker would approve. and my dad would get his 60's fix.

Author:  strummy [ Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

SonofSound wrote:
my one gripe with the sound editing is that the soundtrack seems a little...dated at times. they could really use a fresh theme.

I think the new joker would approve. and my dad would get his 60's fix.

ALSO...

Author:  youngstown tune-up [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

i saw it at the midnight showing and it was fucking great! its funny cos zas was in the same theater as me and at the midnight premiere of batman begins he was sitting next to me...i swear to god there are five of that guy. zas is the new dolly the sheep.

anyhoo, i just saw it again on imax and it was so amazing. if you enjoyed it at a regular theater( and how couldn't you) i would recommend seeing it in imax. sooooo good.

Author:  unpossibles [ Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

http://www.popcrunch.com/angelina-jolie-catwoman-role/

Author:  plong [ Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

unpossibles wrote:
http://www.popcrunch.com/angelina-jolie-catwoman-role/


Image

yes, please

Author:  SonofSound [ Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

tuxspeedo wrote:
the magic trick with the pencil is worth the price of admission.


columbus discount

Author:  Bennett [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

finally saw this a couple nights ago. totally agree with all the praise Heath Ledger has been getting.

the most frightening parts of the movie were the close ups on Maggie Gylenhall. que susto. glad i didn't see it on the imax. she may have had the best outfits, but she could've used scarecrow's mask.

Author:  unpossibles [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

Bennett wrote:
finally saw this a couple nights ago. totally agree with all the praise Heath Ledger has been getting.

the most frightening parts of the movie were the close ups on Maggie Gylenhall. que susto. glad i didn't see it on the imax. she may have had the best outfits, but she could've used scarecrow's mask.

Dude, don't talk about my girlfriend like that, or there's gonna be trouble.

Author:  fonzette [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

Bennett wrote:
the most frightening parts of the movie were the close ups on Maggie Gylenhall. que susto. glad i didn't see it on the imax. she may have had the best outfits, but she could've used scarecrow's mask.


also: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24173

Seriously? Is this really what this message board is turning into? Complaints from (presumably EXTREMELY attractive) guys about how the women in advertisements and entertainment are TOO GROSS to be tolerated by their completely perfect and gorgeous selves?

So go ahead and jump on me, attack me, give me the full-on Wimptemp-treatment, but seriously - that shit is just bullshit, and I seriously hope this isn't the direction we're taking the Friendship Farm.

Author:  Cookie [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

fonzette wrote:
Bennett wrote:
the most frightening parts of the movie were the close ups on Maggie Gylenhall. que susto. glad i didn't see it on the imax. she may have had the best outfits, but she could've used scarecrow's mask.


also: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24173

Seriously? Is this really what this message board is turning into? Complaints from (presumably EXTREMELY attractive) guys about how the women in advertisements and entertainment are TOO GROSS to be tolerated by their completely perfect and gorgeous selves?

So go ahead and jump on me, attack me, give me the full-on Wimptemp-treatment, but seriously - that shit is just bullshit, and I seriously hope this isn't the direction we're taking the Friendship Farm.


I'm on your side.

Author:  Bennett [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

yawn.

girls are gross.

if it makes you feel any better, i think the american apparel girl is hot.

i'd still rather look at myself in the mirror though.

Author:  Bennett [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

oops! i also meant to apologize for oppressing everyone.

Author:  Cookie [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

Bennett wrote:
oops! i also meant to apologize for being a dick.


Fixed that for you.

Author:  Bennett [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

cookie wins the internet again!

if i keep this up will you start posting after everything i write in any thread?

not that you'd ever do something "dickish" like that

Author:  Cookie [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

Bennett wrote:
cookie wins the internet again!

if i keep this up will you start posting after everything i write in any thread?

not that you'd ever do something "dickish" like that


Sorry for oppressing you.

Author:  Gonzo [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

I'd like to see someone make a spoof combining Heath's 2 big movies.....

Broke Bat Mountain Man.

Author:  unpossibles [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

Gonzo wrote:
I'd like to see someone make a spoof combining Heath's 2 big movies.....

Broke Bat Mountain Man.

+1

Author:  Zachery Allan Starkey [ Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

youngstown tune-up wrote:
i saw it at the midnight showing and it was fucking great! its funny cos zas was in the same theater as me and at the midnight premiere of batman begins he was sitting next to me...i swear to god there are five of that guy. zas is the new dolly the sheep.

anyhoo, i just saw it again on imax and it was so amazing. if you enjoyed it at a regular theater( and how couldn't you) i would recommend seeing it in imax. sooooo good.


I saw it on IMAX a week ago today!

You are right. Sooooooo worth it. Amazing.

Think I will go see it again next week.

One gripe...I do wished they used to Scarecrow a bit more in TDK. I loved Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins. It was at least sweet that they used him for one scene in TDK.

Author:  youngstown tune-up [ Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

Zachery Allan Starkey wrote:

I saw it on IMAX a week ago today!

You are right. Sooooooo worth it. Amazing.

Think I will go see it again next week.

One gripe...I do wished they used to Scarecrow a bit more in TDK. I loved Cillian Murphy in Batman Begins. It was at least sweet that they used him for one scene in TDK.


Yeah Cillian Murphy is kinda the man especially as the Scarecrow but not excluding any Danny Boyle film he's in (28 Days Later, Sunshine.) I would have loved to see him a little more but I think they might use several of the bad guys in one of the future movies so that it is more like the comic books.

I saw this article on Yahoo and thought it was kinda interesting http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2008 ... 24000.html

They are talking about how people found Batman's voice annoying. He did talk in a very grizzled voice the whole time and I almost expected him to start talking about Frank's wild years but I didn't find it that bad. The guy is wearing a mask to conceal his identity, why wouldn't he talk different?

Author:  unpossibles [ Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

I just watched Gotham Knight and liked it for the most part, but... meh at times too.

Author:  BastardSuperstar [ Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

i really enjoyed almost all of it, other than the 1st 'toon. and i actually really loved the art style in that one, but the storyline was just a rehash of the "legends of the dark knight" episode of the batmantheanimatedseries show.

and the artwork in that one 'toon that looked FAAAR too final fantasy-esque to take seriously . . .

Author:  Snarky [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Batman: The Dark Knight

FINALLY fucking saw it today. I cannot belive my INTELLEGENT friends from donewaiting have not commented on how "timely" this flick was, and how the batman mythos reflects american pop culture. Especially in a post 9-11 world. Fear of terrorists, like the boat scene, I was shocked when "Tiny" Tim Lester (props to BS for also reconizing "Zeus") threw the detonator out the window. I figured that you'd blow up your own boat if ya flicked tha switch, ya can't trust the Joker.

The Joker of the late 80's was cartoony, false, and got killed at the end of the flick. We had bat-dance by Prince, we were more innocent then. Except for "Death in the Family" which brought Jason Todd to an end by the hands of DC readers via a phone poll. The new Joker brought more fear into our hearts, an unknown source of fear that challenges moral values. I didn't like the interpertation of two-face, but Harvey Dent was perfect. If the Joker's not gonna have a burnt chemical face, Dent's should be more naturally burnt. And why does batman talk so goddamn funny?

Heath Ledger (like ZAS said) stole the show. It's a fuckin shame someone with that magnitude of talent was whisked away. I was scared of him, I laughed with him, the shit that came out of his mouth was ten times more belivable than batman's.

That was a perfect post 9-11 batman. Remember when Mr.Fox was having moral issues, and batman argued with him?

Dude, fukkin sweet dichotomies and analogies.

I can go on and on, but the sweetest was when the semi flipped.

Best Batman evar.

Hell yea.

Page 4 of 5 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/