[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Upcoming shows of note in Columbus

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming shows of note in Columbus
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:43 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

We may bitch about the fact that not every band we want to see comes through Columbus BUT just take a look at the shows that I would go to in May if I had the time/money (a nice blend of national AND local acts). And I left out some big shows that I don't have any interest in seeing (Mike Watt, Steve Malkmus, etc.)

With all these options, if you don't make it out to a show this month, you suck and have no right to complain (making a decision on May 17 is going to be TOUGH).

May 9 @ The Factory – Caitlain Cary (ex-Whiskeytown), Bush League All-Stars
May 12 @ The Factory – Burning Brides, The Detachment Kit, Kopaz
May 14 @ Newport Music Hall – Tomahawk, The Melvins, Skeleton Key
May 14 @ Red-16 – Holopaw (SubPop records)
May 16 @ Café Woody’s – Woolworthy (from Chicago, features Caviar guitarist Dave Suh), The Pits, The Stepford Five
May 16 @ The Brickyard – The Samples, Fiction Plane (Sting’s son is the lead singer)
May 17 @ The Factory – The Fruit Bats (SubPop Records), Moviola
May 17 @ Skully’s – Cringe.com/pilation v3.0 CD release party (with Bush League All-Stars, Evil Queens, Classical Ass, The Husher)
May 17 @ PromoWest Pavilion – The Andyman-a-thon featuring X-Rated Cowboys, The Sun, Watershed, The Honey’s, The Townsmen, Thee Invaders, Hex on Wheels, others
May 20 @ The Factory – Chris Whitley, Johnny Society, Elliot 12-Trees
May 23 @ Scarlet and Grey Café – FLAG benefit show featuring The Last Hotel, Di Di Mao, Planet 12
May 24 @ Flannagan’s – The Exies, The Honey’s
May 27 @ Little Brothers – Nada Surf, Sondre Lerche, The Long Winters (sponsored by the Alive)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:19 am 
Godzilla

I would also add Dick Dale at the Newport on 5/15 to that list. Everyone needs to see this guy live at least once.

I agree about the 17th being a tough choice. Does anyone know what Promowest's readmission policy is? I'll probably head down there early, and then head to Skully's to catch Bush League, but depending on what time they play and when the Sun is going on at promowest i might want to head back down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:40 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

GOMEZ WEDNESDAY @ NEWPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:06 am 
Jet Jaguar

Just to add to the difficult decision we will all make on May 17:
The Jive Turkeys have their CD release at Little Brothers that night. I for one will not be missing it.
I'll be at Promowest at 5:00, stay as long as I can, hit Skully's for at least a few minutes and Little Brother's late night.
What a great town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:15 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

So many shows 5/17 = poorer attendance than their should be at Skullys, Little Brothers, Factory.

Garunteed.

If I had an event that day I'd seriously consider postponing it to another date.

As a matter of fact, we TENTATIVELY had 5/17 booked at Little Brother's awhile back but I cancelled..

whoooooooooooooeeeeeeee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:21 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Another show to add ...

May 16 @ Andyman's Treehouse -- and the Black Swans

Adrian Crowley is this phenomenal singer from Ireland (I believe). He's doing just a handful of dates in the U.S. and one of them is in Columbus. The Used Kids crowd will be out in full force. Crowley reminds me a bit of Nick Drake. This will be a GOOD one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:25 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Does anyone besides me feel like this year is a far better year concert-wise than last year? It seems like I've already seen more concerts in 2003 than I made it out to in 2002, and there are a lot more good ones coming up (Tomahawk's next on my list).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:28 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

To answer your question, yes it is a better year. I think part of that is due to The Factory opening up. Once you have somebody come into town that says, "I'll book anything and everything," the other clubs, who are competing for business, say "Well I better start booking cool shows otherwise I'll lose business to the Factory."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:32 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Me and Chip go back and forth on this a lot, so this is like repeat x40.

I still think the Factory's value in Columbus has yet to be determined. I don't know if any band that has been booked at the Factory wouldn't have already come to Columbus, if just a different venue.

Exception MAYBE being Laura Cantrell.

I don't know.

I do think the competition is good for the venues, so that they dont get lazy, but like I said, still think the Factory hasn't proven itself a player just yet.

Many people have expressed that they dont like the sound of the Factory nor the set up.

We'll see. I hope the Factory fucking rules one day, but as of today, I'm still not sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:19 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Mrs. Children show May 23 at Oldfields on High
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:38 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I don't want to toot my own horn, but Mrs. Children will be playing with Jon Chinn at Oldfield's on High May 23. It will be our official 'website launch party.' We'll have lots of free stuff to give away and we hope to have a great time so please try and make it out if you can.

Thanks
Chris
http://www.mrschildren.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:49 pm 
Godzilla

that's a fooking awesome poster