[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Duffy Needs a Turntable.

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duffy Needs a Turntable.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:08 pm 
Mechagodzilla

It has come to our attention, that one, Robert Duffy does not own a turntable. computers, well he must have about three, but turntable, arguably the best way to listen to music, zero.

i urge all donewaiting posters/readers to explain to Duffy why he needs a turntable. Say, list some of the best one dollar purchases you've made at Used Kids or donate to the fund to get Duffy going on his search for a turntable. Or donate a turntable you're not using.

Once Duffy has some Uriah Heep and Wishbone Ash records in his collection he'll forget about Linkin Park for once. Heh heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:15 pm 
Snarf

Yeah I keep telling Duffy how records are technologically superior. In 200 years when all his cds have oxidized and all his tapes are demagnetized I'll still be rocking to my new 84 Nash vinyl. Unless I drop it or scratch it or let it sit in the sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:09 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:00 pm 
Jet Jaguar

you need a turntable so you can listen to the damn DENOVO 7" which comes out in a few weeks!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:34 pm 
Godzilla

Mr. Duffy needs a turntable so that his girlfriend (me) can play her records.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:45 am 
Mothra

record finds of the last week:

raiders of the lost ark soundtrack
elton john's greatest hits
michael jackson - thriller
the ventures greatest hits
beach boys - endless summer

i don't care how well encoded your mp3s are, they will never match the sound of a nice record on a nice turntable. and you have got to love messing with the speed control to get it sounding just right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:50 am 
King Ghidorah

yes, Robert Duffy needs a turntable.
i work for Stereophile magazine. i read about the newest SACD and DVD-A bullshit everyday. i've got 24-bit/96kHz on the brain. upsampling, oversampling, up-over-and-around sampling... $20,000 CD players, $40,000 loudspeakers... all this bullshit, and the writers, who know more about high-resolution audio than healthy people should, all agree that the best and most-musical sound comes from vinyl. get yourself a turntable, and fall in love with music all over again for the first time.

check out Michael Fremer's column, Analog Corner. or his website, http://www.musicangle.com, which focuses on the sonic quality of a recording as much as it does the performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:31 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:07 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: I'm with you...
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:00 pm 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:14 pm 
My main argument to the price/spending issue that Duffy presents is that Used Kids provides the best, least-expensive vinyl buying in the Midwest, hands down.....As soon as I walk into Used Kids I search the $1 Dollar bin and always leave with one or two good finds...Seriously, between all the Human League and Journey (which I am not ashamed of buying) lps are some gems....Any music fan in Columbus should not deny themselves this....Or wait, forget it and leave more for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:01 pm 
Mothra

robert, this is what i have:

it's about 200 dollars. it's well worth the investment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 10:04 am 
Snarf

That's a sweet turntable. A friend of mine had one that could be hung on the wall and played records vertically. Duffy, if you get one of those and put a fancy picture disc on it... how cool would that be? Shit, you may want two or three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

That is such a sweet picture. Thanks Charlie. See you tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:52 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:11 am 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:58 am 
Snarf

That's the first pic I've ever seen of Duffy besides that sidebar image. Is that a leather jacket? Big pimping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:37 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:30 am 
Godzilla

Thanks for the reply stephen, i will definitely consider upgrading my turntable as a future purchase. I would love it if my vinyl sounded anywhere near as good as CD quality. Unfortunately i went a bit overboard last year, upgrading my amp, preamp and speakers in about 6 months, so i think all of this years tax refund is going to have to go towards house repairs and a new car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:03 pm 
Godzilla