blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Idlewild & the benefits of bands playing w/ national act
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:03 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I know we're still a little more than a week away but I was just checking to see who already had tickets to the show? $11 in advance, $13 at the door. My interview with Idlewild guitarist will be in this week's ALIVE.

I've asked you to trust me before (about Aereogramme and I don't think they disappointed anybody), trust me again. Idlewild is among my top 5 favorite bands ever. EVER. They are a mix of Teenage Fanclub, REM, Nirvana, Gang of Four but don't sound exactly like any one of those bands.

If they had been around in '91/'92 they'd be HUGE right now -- they have that perfect early '90s college rock sound.

Buy tickets NOW.

-Chip

Post subject: I'm in
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:34 am 
Mothra

put down 2 from the TS5 crew. I've loved their last two records so they have alot to live up to . they better not dissapoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:00 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I would say the donewaiting.com message board made up 10% of the crowd.

And there was only about 6 of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:03 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

116 tickets sold to the show. A couple dozen on the guest list. Less than 200 total. It makes me SO mad :evil: that more people didn't show up. People bitch and moan about how Columbus doesn't get any "good" shows but when a GREAT band like Idlewild plays here, nobody shows up. Nice way to represent.

Post subject: cleveland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:11 am 
Mothra

word on the street is that there were way less people at the Cleveland show the night before (less than 20). the funniest part is that we tried desperately to get on that bill as the opener but we were told that they needed a band with a strong "local draw".

from what we heard the band they chose sounded NOTHING like idlewild and apparently did nothing for the draw. so it ends up a lose lose lose for everyone. instead of booking a band that sounds similar to idlewild that at least could have a good shot of winning over a portion of that 20 and hopefully get them to come back and see that opener next time they play the club... thus building something!

wow what a concept!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:15 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Yeah, they told me that they played for 20 people in Cleveland. The publicist told Steve (ALIVE) that he could only put US on the list, no plus one's.

The guys weren't too disappointed with the turnout considering they've never played here before but they said next time they come through town they want to play at a smaller club. They even said Bernie's would have been a better option than the Newport.

Either they had a big guarantee or the booking agent did a poor job.

TS5 should have been on the bill. Or Miranda Sound. Or Kopaz. All three bands would have drawn some people. Oh well, next time I personally will make sure a GOOD local band is on the bill (though, truth be told, I know nothing about Outrageous Orange so I'm not criticizing them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:20 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

The same thing is going to happen to the Gomez show, I'm sure.

Wed 05/07/03 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall

You Stepford Fivers should try for that show. I love Gomez, but they're not going to get a Newport crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:23 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Ben Lee is opening the Gomez show. I love Ben Lee's music but I don't think by adding him to the bill it will do much to bring people out.

Post subject: cool
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:24 am 
Mothra

I've always believed that one of the key things to building this "scene" is to work hard to get the right local band on the right national bill. crossing over fans is the most important thing over immediate draw. that's how you get the people who go to see shows at the newport and promowest out to local shows. you prove to them that their ARE bands in columbus playing music they like. eventually everyone benefits.

maybe we should start a local opener consulting service?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:28 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Atomic Ned wrote:
Ben Lee is opening the Gomez show. I love Ben Lee's music but I don't think by adding him to the bill it will do much to bring people out.

Idlewild had a local and touring openers, I think Gomez should do the same. :D

And I agree with Jason. Local support is imperative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:28 am 
Mothra

I get Chavez and Gomez confused. did Gomez have the video where they send the band to rock school? that was some funny shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:30 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Quote:
maybe we should start a local opener consulting service?

Not a bad idea. The whole negative thing I see is that you run the risk of playing favorites. Also, there might be a really good local band that, just for this example, say, sounds like Idlewild. But they might not have any sort of draw because they are new. Would you put them on the bill to give them a shot or would you put another band that doesn't necessarily sound like Idlewild but might draw 100 people on the bill? Tough call.

The one thing I've learned, particularly with PromoWest, is that there are certain bands/people in town that can get on really good bills because they seem to have a personal relationship with PromoWest. I'm all for that (it was a similar relationship that helped me get The Honey's on the Local H bill) but I think some of the booking people in town get blinded to the fact that there are other really good bands out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:32 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

jasonstepford wrote:
I get Chavez and Gomez confused. did Gomez have the video where they send the band to rock school? that was some funny shit.

Yo La Tengo had that video, with the guys from Mr Show.

Listen to Gomez here: http://www.freegomez.com/index_bandwidth.html

I saw them twice in NYC and they put on an excellent show. Seriously. They rock out.

And like us, they are young. (sorry, Chip).

rob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:35 am 
Mothra

exactly... great point

as for your first question, I think it's safe to say with a very few exceptions there isn't a band in town that can guarantee 100 people at the newport on a wednesday night. Nothing against the band that opened last night but they didn't appear to help the draw substanstially... and they sure didn't sound anything like Idlewild. so who really benefitted from that scenario?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:39 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

gomez = brit-pop meets hippie rock (for some reason i always think they sound just a tad bit like blind melon)

chavez = now defunct indie rock. matt sweeney is in zwan now. they were SO good live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:51 am 
Mothra

the last hotel is a good fit for the Gomez opening slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:52 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

jasonstepford wrote:
the last hotel is a good fit for the Gomez opening slot.

I like this fantasy world we're living in right now where we're booking Newport shows.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:57 am 
Mothra

back to reality....

so I just got a hot tip, Foo Fighters are coming to town soon. Guess the local band who was chosen to open that show.

apparently the Foos need help with their draw too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:07 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

jasonstepford wrote:
back to reality....

so I just got a hot tip, Foo Fighters are coming to town soon. Guess the local band who was chosen to open that show.

apparently the Foos need help with their draw too.

Yo, dont tease.

OO?

If not, give it up.

Here or in e-mail YO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:09 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

yeah ... who is opening for the foo fighters? red wanting blue? x-rated cowboys?

i tried to get the honey's on the living colour bill but didn't get any reply from promowest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:11 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

wait, are you poking fun at the show last night? if outrageous orange is opening i'm firing off a letter to promowest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:14 am 
Truth be told, I am much more committed to going out to local show's than any national act at the Newport. $3 or $13??? Comfortable cozy Andyman's or overpriced drinks, standing in a wharehouse on High? Bartender's I know and give me cheeto's and club soda's and coversation or the Newport scene? John Chinn or Idlewild? I'll give John my $ any day. Playing for a national band is fun but that is not, nor ever will be a goal of the bands I know. I'd rather go out EVERY night and spend $3 for GREAT music than go out once a week and spend $13 and hope it turns out to be worth it. (Which I am sure it was) There is so much damn good local music, that I'll stick with that.
In the last couple weeks I saw Yo La Tengo and Asylum Street Spankers- so I do check out National Acts but in the same amount of time I've also seen:
John Chinn
Jerry Dececca
Townsmen
Tim Easton
The Tough and Lovely
Outrageous Orange
84 Nash
Manda and the Marbles
Jeff Wood

I'd trade that Yo La Tengo show in the crowded factory for Townsmen at The St. James any night of the week!! There seems to be a lot of emphasis on National shows and opening up for National shows and sure it's great, and exposure is great etc. etc. etc. But this scene has everything it needs wrapped right into itself. I'd go see any local band at The High Five, or The St. James or Little Bro's for $5 much quicker than I would ever go see any local band that I like for double the price in an empty venue, just b/c they are opening up for a nactional act that I propably should of heard of- but haven't. Why look outside when everything you need, we already got? Why look for those 10 fans that may hear you at a national show when you can have 100 at Andyman's? By the way, after Townsmen opened for Clem Snide at The Factory, we do have a little group of Clem Snide Kids who have come to EVERY show since! So it's great, exposure is great, and the status of a band is certainly elevated by playing with a national band. But hell, my point is look locally, rock locally- this scene ROCKS and I for one am not spending any time hoping for some lame dangling carrot from some national act at some large (often empty) venue when I got sold out crowds from Franklin, Marion, Bucyrus and Athens.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:35 am 
Mothra

I agree. I was never trying to say that national shows are superior to local shows or anything of the sort.

I just believe in order to elevate the scene beyond musicians supporting musicians it's important to expose the local talent that we have to broader audiences (aka Non Musicians). Your Clem Snide example is a perfect scenario. While that one show didn't make or break your band it definetly will play a part in your overall plan of earning a legitimate fanbase. what if you were given the same opportunity once or twice more this year?

look it's just a shame that we are the 12th largest city in america we have the nations largest university yet on a typical friday at little brothers 75% of the crowd is fellow musicians. While we all appreciate that support and the friendships that develop out of it but I think I speak for more than myself when I say that I would like to reach a wider audience than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:39 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

A thriving national scene is very important to a local scene.

Truth be told, I know *A LOT* of people who consider themselves HUGE music fans, but they never go to local shows because they don't know the bands playing, even if they're from their own neighborhood. It's stupid, I know, but that's reality.

So having someone local open for a national act helps the local's audience grow because they'll get exposed to new potential fans.

I don't think The Stepford Five dreams of just opening for national bands, but I bet they, like any other band, hope that their fanbase continue to grow. And infiltrating another band's fanbase is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:51 am 
We would of course never turn down opening for a national act, and I do try to solicit these acts-(although we did just turn down Caitlin Cary at The Factory??) and I would kill for Townsmen to play at Promowest this summer- outdoor show-- oh that would be heaven...

But what does that say that 75% of the audience is musicians, that's great, assuming your talking about a couple of hundred people, not 20. Those are the fans we want and have. Musicians, artists, those folks who listen, and hang on every guitar part and wait for each new song and know every word. Those are the fans that I love.

But don't get me wrong, a sell out show at the Newport or Promowest would be fantastic, but that is not really reasonable, but a sell out show at The St. James- hell we do that once a month.

But the wider audience I would like to get- well hell they are seeing *National* bands in empty venues b/c somehow that is viewed as the end all.
I'll check your scene out jasonstepford for $5 any day, any where and you can be sure if I'm into it, I'll come again and again.
And I won't go see you at the Newport -but I will show up at Oldfields or Larrys any night of the week.