blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:52 am 
Jet Jaguar

Sorry wasn't trying to be anonymous, damn log in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:13 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Quote:
Truth be told, I know *A LOT* of people who consider themselves HUGE music fans, but they never go to local shows because they don't know the bands playing, even if they're from their own neighborhood. It's stupid, I know, but that's reality.

That is exactly the shit I'm talking about it. It actually heats me up inside. How can you be a huge music fan, and never go to local shows, and not know the bands that are in your own neighborhood. That is the shit that gets under my skin, which is why this whole subject pisses me off. And I think those kind of fans suck and getting the OH SO PRIVILEDGED chance to play for those cats isn't worth anyone's time.

I guess I come from a different school where "LIVE" music is all that matters. I am no CD whore - I never will, nor have I ever been able to get into any band based on their record. I always reserve judgement for their live performance. Anybody can make a fucking record.

But Live Music is Godly, Live music that is there for the present and then gone into the tapestry of your memory and experience. Live music is so personal and so elusive, it's there and then it's gone, did it do anything for you, did it mean anything in your life. Live music, you can't hold on to it, you can't put the damn song on repeat- it is all about being there, in the moment, hopefully with your finger on the pulse...

And LOCAL artists take that risk every night!! You go see Idlewild, Aerogramme, etc. and I'd bet their playing the same set every single show, in every single city, that they rehearsed for two months and have played to death and are probaly bored with.

Go out and see people taking risks and shaking it up and emerging and evolving right before your eyes. Be a part of that.

I'll shut the f up ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:31 pm 
Mothra

my final comment will be that I couldn't have explained live music any better. nicely done.

as for Idlewild the thing that maybe you're missing is that they are a local band too. they just happen to be local to Scotland. They've been around for a long time now, releasing independent records and paying their dues. This is their first major tour of america and from chip's conversation with them didn't expect to be selling out shows. I guess just because they had to fly here or Atlantic paid for them to make a record doesn't make their live show anyless magical to me. I mean were not talking about 3 Doors Down here, these guys are getting no local radio support so whoever went to that show was more than likely a pretty loyal fan of the band.

but to sum up my first point it would be nice to see some of the faces in that crowd at local shows but since the local opener sounded NOTHING like idlewild ,and they are the reason that the majority of the people were there, that is highly unlikely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:51 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Quote:
yet on a typical friday at little brothers 75% of the crowd is fellow musicians.
as for Idlewild the thing that maybe you're missing is that they are a local band too. they just happen to be local to Scotland.

My last point is that I bet the show's that Idlewild puts on in their home town, with their own audience of musicians and friends, is a lot riskier that their tour.

And people only checking out these shows and not their own neighborhood bands is lame and focusing on the blessed chance to play with a *NATIONAL* band when we all have scenes filled with musicians and friends (the best audience of all) is just silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Jred:

I hate to say it but I COMPLETELY disagree with a lot of your opinions.

Quote:
John Chinn or Idlewild?

John Chinn is a great songwriter, a very talented musician, etc., etc. I really respect his work with both Pretty Mighty Mighty and with Workbook Studios. That being said, Idlewild makes it over to the U.S. maybe once a year. This is the first time they've hit Columbus. I can see John play every week if I want to but I can only see Idlewild once a year.

Quote:
Playing for a national band is fun but that is not, nor ever will be a goal of the bands I know.

That's how this whole topic came up, I believe. Outrageous Orange and the X-Rated Cowboys seem to be able to pick and choose the bills they want to be on. While it's not a "goal" of a band like, say, The Stepford Five to only play with national bands, their sound is much more compatible with Idlewild's AND the members are all big fans of Idlewild. Bands like that SHOULD have the opportunity to open for national bands.

And, come on, isn't the goal of many bands to have their music heard by the masses? I mean, you've been hitting up labels to come see The Townsmen, right? The "goal" of The Townsmen, therefore, is to someday be a national band. Do you want kids in Omaha to say, "Why would I waste my money and go see The Townsmen when I can see my local singer/songwriter for half the price?"

The fact is that people should get out and see live music, no matter what band it is. If a club has good turnouts and makes a little bit of money, they'll book more shows. Before the Factory opened, I really think that Little Brothers was in bad shape. They had no competition and therefore didn't feel like they needed to book every band passing through town. There were times last year when I'd look at the Little Brothers lineup for a particular month and not see a single show that I had any desire to go see. That has changed recently and I think it's a direct effect of The Factory opening and taking more chances on a band like Aereogramme or Clem Snide.

Quote:
I'd rather go out EVERY night and spend $3 for GREAT music than go out once a week and spend $13 and hope it turns out to be worth it.

BUT ... you "know" a lot of local bands so you're spending $3 to see bands that you are already familiar with. I'm almost the opposite. No matter how many times you told me how good the Townsmen were, I was not going to see them unless I a) heard their music or b) saw them opening for a national band that I really wanted to see. I do agree that I'm not willing to drop even $10 to see a national band that I know nothing about, but tack on a local band that I really like and I might just show up.

Quote:
I'd trade that Yo La Tengo show in the crowded factory for Townsmen at The St. James any night of the week!!

Of course you would, you're married to somebody in the Townsmen :wink: I know how much you like their music as well, so I'm sure you'd go see them anyway. I might trade seeing, say, the Foo Fighters for seeing The Honey's but that's because I'm not a huge Foo Fighters fan AND I'm friends with The Honey's. But, hands down, given the choice between seeing a sold-out Coldplay concert or a semi-regular Honey's gig at High Beck, I'm going to Coldplay.

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of emphasis on National shows and opening up for National shows and sure it's great, and exposure is great etc. etc. etc.

Once again, I go back to the "every band wants to get their music heard." When The Honey's opened for Local H, I thought that was HUGE because The Honey's were able to personally hand the members of Local H their CD. If Local H were to fall in love with the band and their sound, they might pass the CD on to their label, or their manager, or their booking agent. They might say, "Hey, next time we swing through Ohio, let's have the Honey's open for us in Cleveland and Cincinnati too." For a band like The Honey's who have rarely played an out-of-town show, being able to play in a different city, whether it's in front of 5 people or 500 people, it's a great thing because it gives them that experience they need to go out and do things on their own.

Quote:
Why look outside when everything you need, we already got?

Music is music. I like a lot of local bands -- a lot more now than I did even a year ago. I've been exposed to a lot of good local rock in 2003. But, that doesn't mean that Idlewild or Aereogramme or whoever isn't worth listening to and supporting. Once you say "Hey, I'm not going to see any national bands that come to town", you're effectively saying, "Hey club, I don't want you to make any money. And if you don't make any money you'll have to close down and deprive this city of a club where bands -- local and national -- can play."

Quote:
Why look for those 10 fans that may hear you at a national show when you can have 100 at Andyman's?

Because the 100 at Andyman's are friends/regular fans who will see you regardless. The Honey's sold 5 CDs after the Local H show. Not a lot, but the people buying them were Local H fans and had never heard of The Honey's. That's 5 new people who might go see The Honey's next time they play a local show. 5 is not a lot, true, but it's 5 more fans than they had when they started the night.

Quote:
But the wider audience I would like to get- well hell they are seeing *National* bands in empty venues b/c somehow that is viewed as the end all.

Because they can go to any record store in Ohio, or the world, for that matter, and pick up the national band's CD. Yes, they should go out and see local bands but, heck, even I don't do that. I'd much rather go see Idlewild play at the Newport than most local bands play at Andyman's because I know how rare it is that Idlewild will play here and I know how often I can see local bands play out. That's another problem with the local scene. It seems like a lot of bands play every week at one venue or another. I remember back in the day, Greenhorn would play once every other month or so. That made me SOOO hungry to go see them that I would count down the days until the show happened. I would show up to the venue early and leave late. These days, local bands are playing 3 or 4 times a month. Sorry, as much as I love some local bands, I'm not going to go see them that often. I get burned out.

Quote:
I'll check your scene out jasonstepford for $5 any day, any where and you can be sure if I'm into it, I'll come again and again.
And I won't go see you at the Newport -but I will show up at Oldfields or Larrys any night of the week.

BUT ... would you go see the Stepford Five at the Newport if they were opening for a band that you liked, or even kind of liked?

Hey, I'm not trying to be a dick (though it probably sounds like it), I'm just saying that ultimately music is music. I just wish more music fans would show to support national acts. It's sad to see such a great band like Idlewild or Aereogramme play in front of 50 - 200 people when they should be (and they are, just not in Columbus) selling out venues. Idlewild played in Toronto a few weeks ago and sold out a 700 seat venue. How are they able to pull 500 more people out to their show in Toronto than they are in Columbus (or Cleveland, where they only drew 20 people)??? How does that happen? Is it because Toronto doesn't have a local scene but Cleveland and Columbus have really strong ones where people would rather go see a local band at a small club? I doubt that's the reason. I just wish I knew what the secret was so that EVERY show, be it national or local, would have a good draw.

Post subject: idlewild------thoughts on
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:09 pm 
Snarf

Chip, it comes down to two words. Radio Support. Sure there are many other factors but in this day and age of people( the masses) having to be told what to see/listen to you won't get a great draw without radio support.

I went to OSU back in the day and CD101 pimped out every show. There were 4-5 local bands that played the Newport on a regular basis. The number of people out at national and local shows was staggering. Idlewild has just as much buzz as Interpol did when they came through town but CD101 played the crap out of Interpol. Idlewild gets 150 people. Interpol gets 800.

So what happened. My two cents in no particular order.

1: Radio support vanished.
2: Way too many venues: Plus too many doing cover bands.
3: The majority of local bands don't support local music( other bands). Jealousy, hatred. I don’t know what it is but you don’t see a ton of bands hanging out at local shows.
4: Local bands forgot about the regular concert goers. HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bands somehow got complacent with 75 people turning up and didn’t do the work to get the regular folk back to the clubs. Most but not all local shows are the same friends and bands at the same shows. The band gets paid. The club gets paid so why work to get new fans? A “regular” concert in town is done by Midnight. People have jobs etc. so when they can go see a PromoWest show and be home by 12:00 or go see say Stepford Five who doesn’t go on until 1:00 it’s an easy call. I love Stepford Five by the way.
5: And the biggest thing and I am not sure how the fuc* it happened but
the local scene lost all touch with OSU and the college kids. Where did they go?
6: Too much good product to choose from. It's only been recently that every band and their brother can have a great sounding recording. A few years back you had to play and play to record a good demo. Now every local CD I hear whether they gig or not sounds great.
7: Band camaraderie...The same bands seem to play with the same bands. Rarely do I see a lineup that I haven’t seen before. Same lineup at the same club a month later doesn’t do much for a lot of people.

As I said. Just my two cents…..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:13 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I agree with EVERY point you make Stardrop.

Good job. Good post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:21 pm 
Mothra

right... all great points and for the record TS5 loves the idea of having earlier shows. me sleepy by 11!

why not have live bands from 8-12 and then have a DJ until 12-2? as long as you have good background music people will stick around and drink and talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:25 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Can somebody who posts on this message board please win the lottery and open the Donewaiting Concert Venue so that we can put on some killer shows, at some early times, and pull hundreds of kids in to see great bands?

Thank you.

(I'm going to start buying lottery tickets tonight).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:32 pm 
Godzilla

yeah, i'll get on that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:54 pm 
Quote:
Can somebody who posts on this message board please win the lottery and open the Donewaiting Concert Venue so that we can put on some killer shows, at some early times, and pull hundreds of kids in to see great bands?

I think the Goodale Ave industrial section is the perfect area for a new Club. Just like on Melrose place... Remeber that? Has anyone ever gone into the Brazenhead on 5th Ave? That place is absolutely packed from front to back with 21-31 year olds. I go in there a lot now b/c I just can't believe the scene. A live music club down the block is the perfect spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:56 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Sorry, I'll stay logged in. Hope your not too sick of me yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:26 pm 
Jet Jaguar

My favorite thing of the Idlewild show was when the vocalist said "Columbus was greatly overrated". I laughed my ass off. I'd never heard them, barely even heard OF them, I went anyway and had a damn good time even though I was fairly unimpressed by the band. My one line review on some other board was "Sounds like every other band trying to get airplay on Triple-A radio formats". But, I haven't heard their albums so, no Regis, that's not my final answer.

As far as the money factor goes regarding seeing local vs. national, I got 2 words for you: Try harder. Go down to the venue and stand out front and cop an extra for cheap off someone who's just going to eat the thing if you don't ask them if they have an extra. I've wasted many Newport tix cause none of my friends wanted to leave the couch and there's noone looking for an extra, even for free, as I'm entering. I couldn't GIVE away my extra Idlewild ticket. Ask that panhandler out front of the Newport...I give him my extras all the time. I'd be willing to bet I'm broker than all y'all (yet I have nothing to bet). But I got FREE tickets to 7 different Newport shows in the month of May alone. I got on the list for Chris Whitley @ the Factory and @ the Patio in Indy for flyering for Messenger Records. Or just sneak in the side door if you've no qualms about 'stealing'. Many times they hand out free tickets as you're leaving the Newport/PromoWest. Keep your eyes peeled. Being broke teaches you to figure out how to do stuff with no money, I guess. My motto has always been "Don't let being broke keep you from doing what you want". Where there's a will, there is ALWAYS a way. Me & my buddy went to EVERY Blue Jackets home game their first season by standing out front with a finger in the air and never paid more than $15 for a ticket. Got several freebies. Paid $10 for a 'party terrace' ticket, only to get in there and discover that our $10 bought us free food and free beer too!!

Mabey Duffy could start a ticket forum. But mabey noone would use it. Only one person from Donewaiting took me up on my free Dick Dale/Rezzin ticket offer posted elsewhere on this board. I've also learned Columbus Music Haus in Gerbil Village has free Dale tix for the asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:34 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

shmoopatties wrote:
Mabey Duffy could start a ticket forum. But mabey noone would use it. Only one person from Donewaiting took me up on my free Dick Dale/Rezzin ticket offer posted elsewhere on this board. I've also learned Columbus Music Haus in Gerbil Village has free Dale tix for the asking.

Not when you go around making fun of the neighborhood I live in! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:46 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

You know, I THOUGHT that's what the singer from Idlewild said.

I'm sorry Idlewild wasn't your thing. I still can't put my finger on why I love them so much. I like how live they sound a lot heavy. I hear them compared a lot to bands like REM and the Smiths. I didn't like those bands so maybe now I'm just catching up. Seriously, I can't get enough of Idlewild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:32 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I went to see Idlewild in Cleveland back in March of 2001. I was into the 100 Broken Windows album a little and it was Spring Break, so what the hell, a road trip would be fun. I got to the Beachland and there were maybe 40 people at the show. The band was selling t-shirts and just looked miserable. I went over and had some extra cash and bought a shirt and said I enjoyed the new record. They sneered and whined about the low turnout. I told em I drove two hours to see them play and that with time their efforts would pay off, they sneered again. Oh well I suppose, I gave them the benefit of the doubt cause I guess the lead singer was ill and the tour was rough. Then they played- I was EXTREMELY unimpressed to say the least. Their records (well, 100 broken windows) are alright, but their live show left A LOT to be desired. It was a fun trip, but that had more to do with the company I had on the car ride than anything else. Needless to say, I was not about to go to their show down the street two years later.

I think they are over-rated. They missed the hype machine, but honestly it is their tough luck. I wouldnt be bogged if I were them though: Interpol will be playing to 100 people in two or three years.

As far as why Idlewild kind of sucks, this SLATE article pretty much nails it:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2073622

Personally, if I am gonna make my ears ring, smell like smoke, etc, I'd rather pay 3 bucks and see Miranda Sound modestly play their guts out, or even pay 40 for that matter to see a band like Coldplay (I don't personally like Coldplay, but they do what they do very well, and there is a humbleness they exhude that I find appealing). I think more than anything else, Idlewild is a bunch of snot nosed brats who have put way too much thought into Patti Smith, REM, and Replacements records and have forgotten that those records are a ton of FUN to listen to. Who the hell wants to listen to some Brit bitch and moan about being post-modern, Gertrude Stein, and sleeping next to the mirror anyway? If you do, fine, but I don't. England can keep Idlewild for themselves honestly. They havent earned the snottiness they put on.

That's just like, my opinion, man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:45 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I know I got kinda off the thread topic above, but since I already did, I figure I'll follow up.

I was just in Johnny Go's on High St. They have stacks of free tix for both Dick Dale and the Wailers. I believe both shows are on the 15th. Wonder why Promowest competes with itself at all, let alone with 2 free shows on the same nite?

Also, they had a stack about 5 inches high (!!!) of F R E E tix for that show at PromoWest Pavilion Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 5:00 PM Confirmed bands performing are: The Sun, X-Rated Cowboys, Watershed, The Honeys, The Townsmen, Thee Invaders & Hex On Wheels, T Condo and thestoryof. Engine House 13 special exhibit and poster sale. Seriously, there had to be 1,000 tickets for the show in the 'free box' next to the register. Sorry that I'll be out of town and missing that freebie. Johnny Go's always seems to have comp tix free for the taking.

Another cheap ticket thing I just heard about:

For the following shows, a limited number of $10 lawn tickets will be sold
at the Germain Amphitheater Box Office. There is a two ticket purchase limit per person and the offer is available only at the Germain Amphitheater Box Office. To receive the special, you must request the $10 Ticket Special prior to your transaction. Cash only, please. If a show is sold-out of the $10 tickets, it will be removed from this page.

JUNE 1 POISON with SKID ROW & VINCE NEIL
JULY 2 SANTANA with ANGELIQUE KIDJO
JULY 10 50 CENT with SNOOP DOGG, JAY-Z, BUSTA RHYMES, MORE
JULY 15 HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH / BIG HEAD TODD & THE MONSTERS
JULY 23 CHICAGO
JULY 25 ALABAMA
AUG 9 IRON MAIDEN with MOTORHEAD, DIO
SEPT 19 TOBY KEITH (On-sale 6/21 @ 10 a.m.)

http://www.germainconcerts.com/2003/$10Ticket.asp

At that price there's 3 or 4 of those I'll go to. Pisses me off that I was stuck in a huge traffic jam directly in front of Polaris (Germain) this very morning, but didn't know about this deal till right now. Doh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:55 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

shmoopatties wrote:
JUNE 1 POISON with SKID ROW & VINCE NEIL
JULY 2 SANTANA with ANGELIQUE KIDJO
JULY 10 50 CENT with SNOOP DOGG, JAY-Z, BUSTA RHYMES, MORE
JULY 15 HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH / BIG HEAD TODD & THE MONSTERS
JULY 23 CHICAGO
JULY 25 ALABAMA
AUG 9 IRON MAIDEN with MOTORHEAD, DIO
SEPT 19 TOBY KEITH (On-sale 6/21 @ 10 a.m.)

Dude, that's awesome news. Thanks for the tip.

My first Iron Maiden show: HERE I COME BABY.

PS: * There is a $4.50 per ticket service charge at the Germain Amphitheater Box Office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:00 pm 
Jet Jaguar

robertduffy wrote:
Not when you go around making fun of the neighborhood I live in! :lol:

Just a joke :!: I love German Village and lived on Livingston right across from Katzingers for 3+ years until they built that realty office next door...the closed gas station was like a personal parking lot. Ahhh memories. Great view of Red White & Boom for our July 4th parties! I have an overhead view postcard of GV in a frame hanging on the wall of my bedroom. In conclusion, love the Village, not a homophobe, still, I get a chuckle out of that nickname.