[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Independent Playground // CD101 Discussion

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:11 pm 
Godzilla

2 things about this topic.

1, i don't listen to independant playground because it's on too late (and not of enough importance) for a guy with 2 kids and who has to be up at 7 or so, but if i'm in the car or something and it's on i usually listen to it. it's better than anything else on the radio at the time.

2. regardless of their playlist the rest of the year, you gotta admit the first week or so of the year kicks ass when they're playing the bottom 1000 songs of the top 200X songs of all time. :D no repeats and stuff you DEFINITELY don't hear everyday. I only wish it was that way all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:26 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:27 pm 
Snarf

Okay: Here are a few of my thoughts-

I work for CD101 and yes, I have some complaints about the rotation but think about the alternatives that we have available in this city. Sunny 95? The Blitz? Do they have Hot Hot Heat or Interpol or the newest track from Radiohead or The Roots in their rotation? No. They do not. I understand the criticisms regarding CD101 but I truly believe that this radio station is providing a service that is nonexistent in the rest of the radio stations that are in Columbus.

The Independent Playground may not appeal to the masses but that's kind of the point. Tom and Rudy put a lot of thought into their playlists. They want people to be exposed to new music that would never get any radio play simply because the band is not on a major label. If you don't like the music, fine, but please don't criticize the DJ's for trying to do their job well. The Independent Playground won a national award, voted on-line, as the best independent music radio show. They must be doing something right if people are tuning in on the web to specifically hear their show.

If you people with complaints actually want to do something about it call us. The number is 221-9923. Complaints and criticisms are fine but if you're unwilling to actually act and do something they ring pretty hollow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:52 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I like this discussion. Keep it up.

And any more personal attacks moving forward will mysteriously disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:55 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:07 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:09 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:38 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:09 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject: Faustoid, wake up!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:52 am 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:55 am 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:06 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:20 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:26 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:10 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am 
Snarf

Wow! There are some sensitive people around here. Lots of hurt feelings.

You guys should all calm down and lock that dial to 90.5 WCBE. Getting your daily fix of war stories really puts things into perspective.

Every time Thistle and Shamrock comes on I think to myself, God it's so great not to have had my arms blown off by a stray cruise missle so I can push this button. Switch over to my CD player. Disc 3. Jan and Dean's greatest hits!

But then, I suspect I am a different target market than some of you.

Nevermind. Keep on rockin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:34 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

So, over the weekend I did a little informal listening to CD101 and I have to admit that the playlist seems to be much hipper than it was the last time I listened. Once you get a portable handheld MP3 player like the one I've got, radio becomes virtually obsolete so I don't listen to the radio much anymore (except for Howard Stern but that's not music).

I was pretty impressed that I heard Burning Brides "Arctic Snow." (FYI - For those of you who got a copy of my "Best of 2002" CD, that song was on there).

I guess that before I say that the playlist seems outdated I should listen more often.

Post subject: Nothing Shocking (wink, wink)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:06 pm 
Snarf

Well, no incredible ray of light from me on this one. Someone already pointed out that WOXY's signal is quite weak and CD101 is financially viable through AD money etc. etc.

My view is this:

Once upon a time (when I was in College three years ago at Miami) I registered for and WON the Joy Division box set from WOXY.

This morning I heard "Policy of Truth" by Depeche Mode on the way to work.

Both are good. Both are golden.

Being anti-mainstream for the sake of being anti-mainstream is counter productive. "Sound and fury signifying nothing." I still like the little jolt I get when I hear something I would NEVER hear on a clear channel on 101 and that's good enough for me. Good music is worth finding so I'll go out and FIND it. I've been turned on to ZERO new bands through the radio and that's for good and true. The last "big" turn-on to music I had that actually came through the radio was listening to WMJI near Cleveland and deciding to go buy some good motown records. ;-)

Later all.

Post subject: mistaken poster, wrong turn, my bad!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:13 pm 
Faustoid,
i'm sorry i got you confused with some other post.
I find it disgusting that alot of you people dont realize cd101 is here for you, the Columbus people.It's hard to please everyone!
I like hearing people's thought's negative and positive, but when someone say's "hate" or"I'm calling the FCC" that's when i put my foot down.
I just wish all you people would reconize what we are trying to do for you's!
It's a tough biz when the city you live in worships shitty pop and country radio. We play some awesome artist indie and major, who's to spit on that but corperate radio and there henchmen? Can anyone tell me that cd101 has never turned you on to something at some point?
I work for independent radio to make columbus a better place to live, bring in better bands from all over. Sure i'm picky, but we have four hours a week to get our point's of interest out to the people.
If cd101 was not in exisitance, i would be elsewhere fighting the trend of corperate crapola for the true music lovers!
Independent Playground is a show with the weirdest music you'll ever hear in two hours of commercial radio, were not college radio, and were not corperate radio. WE ARE THE INDIES, FIGHT WITH US OR WITHOUT US, YOU MAKE THE CALL ON THAT ONE.
I love Columbus,Ohio and I really love the scene here, i'd do anything for the scene.
Just realize what we really do for you "real music lovers", explore and enjoy locally owned radio while were still alive!
I thank all the friend's who think cd101 is good stuff, keep up the good gossip and we'll keep pushing the limits for all of you!
I work for the Columbus music scene,
Rudy G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:20 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Personally I've not listened to Independent Playground or Invisible Hits so I can't say much about them. I'll be sure to catch them, garunteed.

I think a lot of the frustrations people have is that they do know that the station is independent and that's why they want it to be better. No one talks about The Blitz or whoever because they've given up on them.

But people see hope in CD101.

Sure, during regular station hours they'll throw people a bone with something new like The Raveonettes or The Sun, or heck, I even heard them play Miranda Sound once. But they do play a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect an "independent" radio station to play. A lot of commercial stuff, a little bit of underground. It seems like the balance could be a little better. And ll that music from the 80s and early 90s is a little weird. I swear to god they play the Violent Femmes so much as some sort of a twisted inside joke.

I understand the financials to everything that CD101 does -- the public would rather hear Jeremy by Pearl Jam instead of Bushleaguer by Pearl Jam, but when a station is independent, like CD101 is, people like me and others in this message board secretly hope they'll play more new music than they already are doing. It seems like for every Hot Hot Heat song the station plays, there's three Foo Fighters songs from their first and second album.

You get what I'm saying here.

Is CD101 good? Yeah. Is it the best complete music radio station in Columbus? Yes. Because of its independence, do people expect it to be more "indie" than it is? Absolutely. But that's what's gonna happen. If you herald your station for being INDEPEDENT, expect people to want it to be more independent than it is.

And man, turning on the station and finding a Blue Jackets game is a buzz kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:48 pm 
Godzilla

"the FCC can lick my bag" - that's greatness.

the way i see it:
a.) yes, cd101 plays a shitload of stuff i frankly couldn't give a rat's ass about. however, i feel that way about 99% of what's on the radio in general (with the exception of the classic rock stations, but i don't want to get into that right now). let's just stick with non-nostalgia radio. cd101 is certainly not the exception in that area. PLUS, they are an independent station. whether they play a metric ton of indie rock or not. fuck, i'd support an independently run, locally owned station even if they played the captain and tenille nonstop 24 hours a day.

b.) independent playground. not a frequent listener, but as i said before, i don't listen to the radio much period. i probably catch independent playground more regularly than anything else on the radio. out of the 6 stations i actually do have programmed in, it's one of them. sure, in general, tom and rudy favor the noisy side of things, but i've heard them play all kinds of stuff that isn't in that category (i think they both have an unreasonable mary timony fixation). my point is: IT'S THEIR SHOW. THEY ACTUALLY PLAY LOCAL MUSIC. they also play shit that you aren't going to find on any radio station outside of a small, well funded liberal arts college anywhere else in ohio. dj skills aside / musical opinions aside, you have to give them credit for attempting to do something a little different.

c.) out of the 4 people i know that work at cd101, they're all incredibly nice, down to earth, attend shitloads of local shows, support tons of local bands, and basically try to live the music they care about. i'll take that any day over some clearchannel schmuck playing the newest good charlotte song 20 times a day. regardless of whether it's music i like or not.

d.) it's a fucking business. if you play nothing but burzum, minor threat, ornette coleman, gamelan, and tibetan opera, i guarantee you're not gonna make a go of it no matter what. it sucks, but when you run a business, you occasionally have to suckle the corporate teat if you want to be able to keep going and help out the artists and causes you actually care about. it's a trade off.

own up and chill out, people, let's all go have a beer together.

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:17 pm 
All of CD101's playlist's can be seen at their site- take a look:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:50 am 
Jet Jaguar

for a bit of perspective, try moving to a town where there is absolutely no good radio then call me and complain. i used to live in columbus and i miss the hell out of cd101 and wcbe for that matter. i'd give my left nut to be able to turn off thistle and shamrock again on my local radio. ok, maybe not my left nut, but you get my point.

the best i can do when i listen to the radio here is wone from akron and they play the same classic rock shite over and over and over again. sadly, i'm thrilled when audioslave comes on. needless to say, i don't listen much.

i had no idea that cd101 was still independent and i think that speaks volumes about them and what they believe. you have to know that the buyout offers have been on the table... then imagine cowlumbus radio. rawk on rudy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:21 am 
Mothra

Indie Playground and Invisible Hits are good shows. The rest of CD101, for the most part, is terrible. YES they occasionally play local music, and that is cool. I mean I really love hearing X-Raterd Cowboys sooooo much. But for the most part, they're still living like it's 1994. The music choices are terrible. I tuned it briefly today and it was U2's SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY. And Eels "Novacaine for the Soul." That's from what, 1995? WOOOOOO!

What year am I in? To whatever DJ said CD101 is doing this for us, excuse me. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're doing it to make money. Let's never lose sight of that. And maybe this station is better than other cities radio, but that doesn't excuse it. Suck is suck no matter how you spell it.

Radio, as a whole, is for fuck. Instead of CD101 being REALLY BAD they're just bad. Supporting the channel JUST because it's independent is for fuck, too. Prove to me that you're worth my time and attention. People who just run to things because they're "indie" annoy me as much as fucks who just listen to top 40.

Fuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:43 am 
Godzilla

Apparently, I'm the only person who actually likes hearing older music on CD101. It makes me incredibly happy to hear music from 1994, because at that time, I was a 12-year-old still enveloped in the country music scene and I hadn't broken out of it yet. I didn't get to live out the splendor of early 90's music...so when I hear it on CD101, I get all excited and happy because this is what I missed out on!

I realize that there are people who did get to hear it and don't want to hear it again. And there are probably people who will tell me to go buy the CDs from the early 90's if I want to hear the music. (well, to that I say, "give me all your CD's and I will stop talking.")

Radio stations can do whatever they want, so long as they provide a public service. And as long as there are people like me, the radio station is serving at least a small portion of the public.

As I've said before, if people are bent out of shape over what the radio plays, start your own station. I complained about politics for a long time, then realized that because I didn't vote, I didn't have a right to complain. If you're just complaining without doing anything to foster change, then you have no right to complain.

Personally, I think CD101 is a fine station (except for those Blue Jackets games). But if someone were to start up an all-local Columbus station, you'd better believe I would listen to it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next