[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Favorite Columbus Albums/Shows of 2011

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Columbus Albums/Shows of 2011
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:32 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

So what's everyone's favorites of the year?

Post subject: Re: Favorite Columbus Albums/Shows of 2011
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Jacotti and Envelope - This Could Either Way. Lovin it!!!

Also, I'll give myself and bandmates props for The New Bottom Line.
http://marvintherobot.bandcamp.com/albu ... ottom-line
First, for drafting a handful of Occupy Wallstreet anthems a few months ahead of time, and two because Matt Danielle let me run them through my blitz recording sessionsinstead of demanding we take our time like normal people.

your uniform gets cleaned.
-American Music Club

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:29 pm 
Godzilla

I second Jacotti and Envelope. Also:

Psandwich - Northren Psyche
Times New Viking - Dancer Equired
The Mealworms - Radio Cabinet Rabbit Hutch
Vile Gash - Deluded
Psychedelic Horseshit - Laced
Blueprint -Adventures In Counter Culture
The Lindsay - Deep In The Queue
Cheater Slicks - Live Vol. 1

I can't remember if the Day Creeper 7" came out this year or last.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 pm 
Godzilla

forgot about EYE - Center Of The Sun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:48 pm 
King Ghidorah

I'd like to add Moon High to the list provided by Mr. Butler.

It's been a banner year for Columbus music.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:47 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Dolfish - Your Love Is Bummin Me Out

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:08 pm 
King Ghidorah

Forgot about this mutant:

And TNV and Psychedelic Horseshit made the best records in their respective catalogs thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 pm 
Mothra

I loved Vile Gash live and can't wait to listen to the record the next time I have six beers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:27 am 
King Ghidorah

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.co ... and-stains

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:58 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:20 am 
Snarf

Thee Now Sound - Up Syndrome was a NBT Radio Album of 2011.
http://theenowsound.bandcamp.com/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/martin ... 7828924438

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 am 
Godzilla

Favorite show: 84 Nash's Megacity Music Marathon set at Woodland Taverns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 pm 
Mechagodzilla

As posted on my facebooks page:

Top Record Albums of 2011 list:

Well since I do own a record store and record store owners like lists and it's that time of year everyone is making year end lists, here are my top 11 albums released in the year 2011.

A couple of disclaimers I wanted to go with only new music released this year, no re-issues or unearthed gems of the past, that is why The Numero "Bodie" box set, Louvin Brothers "Satan is Real" or The Beach Boys "Smile" just to name a few, did not make this list. Also I wanted to include Tame Impala's "Innerspeaker" album. However it was technically released as an import in 2010 and that is when I first heard of the record. I was not able to get my hands on a copy domestically until this year and I played it so much it feels like a 2011 release, but it's not so it's not on my list.

I wanted to include only studio albums so that explains why Cheater Slicks "Gurreral" is not listed.

I only wanted to include records actually released on vinyl this year so obviously no downloads (duh) but also no cassette only releases included, that is why The Obviouslies s/t cassette on SnowClone and Sundown's "Mansion Burning" are not included.

That is also why Lindsay Buckingham's "Seeds We Sow" is not on the list, great stuff but Lindsay you have to release vinyl not just a CD, what's up with that?

Also I did not include the album I released this past April (with a very cool LP release show hosted at friendly competitor Spoonful Records), The Mealworms "Radio Cabinet Rabbit Hutch" not because I am modest and did not want to rate my own album but because it was recorded back in 2003 and 2004 and it was not until recently I could afford to get it out, it seemed too old for me to include it, That said I do think it's a great album and should pick one up, although we are almost sold out of the first pressing.

Finally if you have to ask why a top 11 instead of a top 10, well I think any music geek can figure that out.

Here we go lots of Columbus acts because I love my hometown music scene:

1) Times New Viking - "Dancer Equired"

2) The Lindsay - "Deep In The Queue"

3) Jeff Beck - "Rock and Roll Party"

4) Psandwich - "Northren Psych"

5) War On Drugs - "Slave Ambient"

6) Wild Flag - "Wild Flag"

7) Moon High - "Six Suns"

8) The Beastie Boys - "Hotsaucecommitteeparttwo"

9) Hot Tuna - "Steady As She Goes"

10) The Black Swans - "Don't Blame The Stars"

11) Lydia Loveless - "Indestructible Machine"

For the record the actual rankings really are not that important but I guess they need to me in some kinda order otherwise how could people debate the list. That said the TNV record is definitely my favorite 2011 album (even though I still think they should have stuck with "Yesterday's Gone" title), and it is a shame that we will probably not get a follow up album anytime soon.

I probably should have included Envelope's "This Could Go Either Way" it was an E.P and not a full length so I guess that is why it missed the cut, that said you shoudl own a copy. I did waver on including Kurt Vile's "Smoke Rings For My Halo" but I just not like it as much as 2009's "Childish Prodigy". I had no problem not including Tyler The Creator,I just don't get the hype on all that Odd Future stuff maybe I'm getting old or maybe it just sucks.

One final note and this is specifically for John Olexovitch, I don't want you getting to big headed about having two records you play on included, one listed just ahead of Jeff Beck and one just after, though I do think you are fine guitar player just remember as far as guitar playing goes it is not a competition, Jeff Beck is better than anyone else.

-kyle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:58 pm 
Jet Jaguar

The Beatles Marathon was hands down the best show i saw this year.