[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - We Are Columbus Ohio "Ohio X Southwest"

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: We Are Columbus Ohio "Ohio X Southwest"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm 
Mechagodzilla

here is another article in the other paper about some of the other bands that went and played sxsw

http://www.theotherpaper.com/entertainm ... 963f4.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 pm 
King Ghidorah

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:06 pm 
King Ghidorah

funny... i still think of lydia as the little synth player in that all-girl garage band.
i played with them like 6 yrs ago or something.
i was in talks with her about our band playing as her backing band but that was short lived. guess she had other ideas.

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i wish i could've checked out lydia loveless, lo-pan and more columbus stuff but sxsw is so hectic.[/quote]
Executing a plan of ANY kind is a huge accomplishment down there. I've pretty much given up on seeing bands if I'm not on a bill with them...it's chaos to wade through the sea of humanity.[/quote]

lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:51 pm 
King Ghidorah

-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

[/quote]The Josh Kracjik Band has been around for awhile...they have played comfest several times & he did a cowtown round show at Rumba with Lydia not too long ago. I realize he didnt apply for the We Are Columbus showcase...but I'll bet he would have been receptive to an invitation.[/quote]

Ok. i thought i recognized the dude on the TV but... i've seen a lot of bands.
it's not too late to put him on the bill for next year? go for it.

-unknown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 am 
King Ghidorah

seriously.

the kickstart will probably bump to 6k next season.

-unknown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:40 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I actually am a pretty big fan of Kickstarter, to be honest.

Without it, I wouldn't have the latest album by The Black Swans on vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:57 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 pm 
Mothra

a fundraiser to go out of town? I thought that's what band funds were for. I hope there wasn't any grant money given to this. It's absurd, the whole idea.

I never liked the process of getting bands into SXSW or CMJ, in fact all the bands I worked with were asked to play but they also worked very hard to get into a position to do so (i.e. they went out of town and played to ten people or less sometimes, slept on couches and stuffed mailers).

I also don't think bands "make it" by playing these festivals, certainly not band I know locally or nationally got someone else to put out their record by playing in front of insiders at a cramped bar in NY or Austin.

My advice to anyone, NEVER pay money to get your band to play somewhere.
-Bela

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:21 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:06 am 
Mechagodzilla

there is a video of zero star performing @ the Project Blowed Showcase in this post

http://www.donewaiting.com/2012/03/24/2 ... -vacation/

as well as photos of sundown, fly union, and the unholy two

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 am 
King Ghidorah

Bela'$ dead on. you don't "make it" ju$t by playing thi$ $tupid fe$tival. you "make it" by doing $hit load$ of $how$ and burning up the road earning fan$ and re$pect.
write $ome good tune$, play $ome good gig$ and eventually you get $igned and make ton$ of Dough. Playing on the out$kirt$ of $x$w a$ an uninvited, made up event $eem$ like $hamele$$ de$peration. if y'all really want to make a $pla$h, rent the bar the week AFTER $x$w. you'll be the only remaining event in town. oh wait... all the record exec$ will be gone. but we don't really care about them anyway$. right?
hell man, get a kick$tarter going to fund a whole "we are columbu$" tour!

-unknown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:11 pm 
Godzilla

I'm thinking about maybe doing a spin-off event called We Are Austin. This will be a Columbus Music Festival. To be considered you'll need a $20 entry fee for Beerfest. This gets you into the official We Are Austin Beerfest Bracket. You will be seeded. A band like the Cheater Slicks would get seeded high and draw some band who drinks wine coolers and smokes a little weed when they are feeling crazy, for example. Your band will go head to head with the other bands beer for beer in an official Beerfest drink-off (where can you get those boots?). Whoever loses has to play for the next 10 minutes. The winner for the night who wins the most rounds (the band who drinks faster and plays less) advances. The finalists will play We Are Austin in Columbus during SXSW; three nights of Beerfest and rock and roll. For extra credit, bands play the same set list of a Columbus band who is actually performing at SXSW.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 am 
King Ghidorah

-unknown

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next