[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - should live sound always get paid?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: should live sound always get paid?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:53 pm 
Mothra

That is interesting, but I'm with Billy when it comes to Behringer. I'd rather save up for great DI's than pay 2/3 as much for something that will poop on me in 6 months, or will be worth nothing if I ever want to trade. It seems to have semi-favorable reviews, but mostly from churches who don't really move their gear. If any other company made something like this, I'd be interested. Well, besides Peavey.

Though... for $100, it's a relatively cheap mistake to make. Thanks for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
Godzilla

Most bars have at least one d.i. box. When I played acoustic a lot I had my own pre-amp eventually but I never played anywhere that didn't have one where I expected they would have one. Little Brothers, for example; of course they would have one. I wouldn't expect Bernie's to have one. I wouldn't expect a d.i.y. or house party gig to have a d.i. 3 d.i.s, though. Nah. Usually you'll see 2 at the most. Not many bands have an acoustic, keyboard and bass that all need a d.i. and if they do, they should certainly consider purchasing one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:11 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Jesus Christ...
:wall: :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:53 pm 
King Ghidorah

Last edited by Adam Smith on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 pm 
King Ghidorah

I agree about Peavey. That shit rarely ever breaks down. I wouldn't hesitate to ever buy something Peavey. It might not ever sound great, but it won't break down.

http://billycoolandthewhips.bandcamp.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:09 am 
Godzilla

I've got a Behringer Ultra Di that I've had nigh forever sans problem and it sounds fine.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:16 am 
Mothra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 am 
King Ghidorah

What a trip it's been..Im guessing sound people should always get paid and that if you have an instrument then bring the proper shit with you to a show to amplify.

The End :wall: :wall: :wall:

Bronson Bunny Deathwish 12:45 Friday OffRamp
Silo The Huskie @ Carabar Saturday Post Comfest w/Speed Governor, Ghost Shirt, Bookmobile

Last edited by bair_ohio on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am 
King Ghidorah

To answer the original question: Yes. So should the band in a perfect world. Of course, that is not the world we live in.

I would never let a good sound person walk out the door without at least a little money for some pizza and beer. If money was not around, I'd get his/her number and hook them up later.

A bad sound person, I'd still hook them up with cash. I just wouldn't throw in anything extra. The same way I treat food service. I leave bad tips for bad service, never no tip. Great service and good people skills might inspire me to throw my share of the take at the sound crew. It also inspires me to hire them for other events where money will be more plentiful.

I think the bar should pay the people THEY hire, but I wouldn't feel right shafting someone just because the bar doesn't do things the way I like. I just pay the dude/dudette and not play the venue again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:52 pm 
Jet Jaguar

If a bar isnt going to pay a band, they should at least give them free beer.

That's fair.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:04 pm 
King Ghidorah

Hey Lackluster,

Cheap DIs...

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/1807726745.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:49 am 
Mothra

Thanks Billy Cool. Hopefully they're still available in a couple days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:16 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:45 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 pm 
Godzilla

Back on topic, if the argument is that a shitty soundman shouldn't get paid, then I assume the same argument could be used for the bands, right? In other words, what if some club owner/booker told you "you sucked, so I'm not going to pay you" (assuming you normally do get paid, of course)?

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:32 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:52 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:43 pm 
Mothra

well the bands rarely get paid anyway, and if they do it's because they brought people out who wanted to see them. The club owner isn't paying you, or the soundguy. The bands are getting themselves paid AND paying for the sound. The bar just has a roof, what should be a half-way decent soundsystem, and beer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:02 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Mothra

Sorry, thousands of bands all over the country don't get paid very much. There aren't many bands locally where each member is pulling in the same amount as the sound guy. In most cases, if he's making $150 for the night, it's more than what you made individually. Even if your band made $300, and you're a three piece, he made more than you.
It's not the point anyway, the point is that the bar doesn't pay you. Unless you're a cover band.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:10 pm 
Snarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:35 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:38 pm 
Godzilla

Double Exposure: http://www.myspace.com/stract and http://www.facebook.com/stract

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next