[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - davidson's book gets props on chunklet

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: davidson's book gets props on chunklet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm 
Godzilla

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

Post subject: Re: davidson's book gets props on chunklet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 pm 
Godzilla

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd read that..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm 
Mothra

The editors cut my anecdote too but I'm glad because it was embarrassing. I don't mind if it goes online. Nobody reads stuff on the internet.

Last edited by mosescarryout on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:16 pm 
Mechagodzilla

what stores r getting this in columbus :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:31 pm 
Godzilla

I'm so stoked to read this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm 
King Ghidorah

sounds interesting....
i'm sure cbus stories will not make the book...

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 pm 
Godzilla

Bell House Brooklyn
SAT 6/26: 6pm / $12

DEAD FLOWERS PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS
WE NEVER LEARN: THE GUNK PUNK UNDERGUT
THE NEW BOMB TURKS (REUNION SHOW!)
LIVE FAST DIE (REUNION SHOW!)
Release party for We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001 (Backbeat Books)
Nirvana, the White Stripes, Hole, the Hives -- all sprang from an underground music scene where similarly raw bands, enjoying various degrees of success and hard luck, played for throngs of fans in venues ranging from dive bars to massive festivals, but were mostly ignored by a music industry focused on mega-bands and shiny pop stars. We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001 tracks the inspiration and beautiful destruction of this largely undocumented movement, the last generation of punks and rockers to conquer city after city without the diluting force of the Internet. What they took, they fought for, every night. They reveled in '50s rock'n'roll and '60s garage rock as much as Iggy Pop, the Ramones, and Black Flag, while creating their own wave of gut-busting riffs and rhythm. The majority of bands that populate this book-- the Dwarves, the Gories, the Supersuckers, the Mummies, Rocket from the Crypt, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, the Muffs, and the Donnas among them-- gained little long-term reward from their nonstop touring and brain-slapping records. What they did have was free liquor, good drugs, guilt-free sex, and a crazy good time, all the while building a dedicated fan base that extends across America, Europe, and Japan. Truly, this is the last great wave of down-and-dirty rock 'n' roll, one whose hangover can still be felt in bars and clubs everywhere in the world.

Featuring reading and slide show by author Eric Davidson, and The New Bomb Turks live (only area appearance!). Plus: Live Fast Die (reunion show!), delicious barbecue, and DJ action from Viking Thrust (Live Fast Die) and Justin CollectorScum.

Sponsored by Backbeat Books and The Agit Reader.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 am 
Godzilla

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:59 am 
Godzilla

ummmmmm

http://www.weneverlearnbook.com/

i should prolly do a post about this huh (i'm a busy man soooo(we'll see)uhhhhh)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:39 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Just a quick heads-up: Exwhites are gonna play the Bell House show, too.... GFuggin' Toiks & LFD!!!! WOOO-HOOOO!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:06 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:46 am 
King Ghidorah

From Eric:

Alright sleaze-read lovers! I am taking my book o’ ‘90s trash punk yarn-spinning on the road! We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut, 1988-2001, will wobble proud on the shelves June 1. And after that, an avalanche of events will roll and rock around the summertime. I’ll be reading from the tome, taking your queries, and will have in tow a DVD of really rare clips from bands in the book. So check these dates, and we sure hope y’all can make some of them! (And there will be more coming towards the end of the summer too…!)

June 11 – Brooklyn, NY – Academy Record Annex
– pre-No Bunny/Spits show soiree!
http://www.academyannex.com/blog/

June 26 – Brooklyn, NY – Bell House
– NEW BOMB TURKS reunion gig, featuring Live Fast Die
Early show!
http://www.thebellhouseny.com/

June 29 – Seattle, WA
- Easy Street Records book signing, 3pm
- Snoose Part Deux, reading/DVD showing, 9pm http://snoosejunctionpizzeria.com/

July 1 – San Francisco, CA – Hemlock Tavern
- Happy hour pre-Eddy Current Suppression Ring/Thee Oh Sees party
- http://www.hemlocktavern.com/

July 7 – L.A., CA – Stories
http://www.storiesla.com/
A couple more events TBA…

July 9 – Columbus, OH – Wexner Center
- http://www.wexarts.org/
- After-party at Café Bourbon St.

July 10 – Columbus, OH – Surly Girl Parking Lot Blow-Out
- New Bomb Turks gig plus – get this – the Gibson Bros. and Scrawl!!! (More bands TBA…)
http://surlygirlsaloon.com/

July 13 – Chicago – Museum of Contemporary Art
- http://www.mcachicago.org/index.php

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:40 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Wex Store has it and it's onsale. by in person or online http://store.wexnercenterstore.com/wenelegupuun.html

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:41 am 
Jet Jaguar

picked mine up yesterday. pretty great so far.
man, billy childish is a huuuuge asshole.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:27 pm 
King Ghidorah

Read an exclusive excerpt and sign up to win a copy: http://www.agitreader.com/we_never_learn.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:42 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Interview at Blurt:
http://www.blurt-online.com/features/view/648/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:22 pm 
Godzilla

I just started reading about the first 70 pages of this book and love it. Eric's writing is great. This flows very naturally. I almost forgot how much of the punk energy and approach to music and performance in those days influenced and remains with the people who paid any notice to it at the time; that the bands that have a great sense of humor, do their own thing their own way and give a fuck less about ever "making it" are still the only bands that matter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:22 am 
Godzilla