[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Columbus Discount Singles Club Year Two

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Columbus Discount Singles Club Year Two
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:10 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:25 pm 
Snarf

Don't quote me, but my guess is that they will be available for pickup at the BBQ next weekend. I am supposed to see Adam today, so I will mention this to him.

The dudes have all been super busy lately but I know you will definitely get the HBPII record soon!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:05 pm 
Snarf

Confirmed. You guys will be able to get your greasy, pork covered hands all over em (the records) at the BBQ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 am 
Mothra

i couldn't make it at the bbq.
what are my options ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:30 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I saw there were some new ones coming. Is there going to be a local pickup?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:17 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:41 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Is there a local pickup anytime soon for the new ones? Really excited about the Bassholes record.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:54 pm 
Jet Jaguar

CDRSCY2! Winter Batch/Local Pickup

Back from the grave, or whatever, is CDRSCY2!. The following records have shipped to most subscribers.

(all blurbs come from the agit reader)

CDR048
Bassholes
I Feel Like Sleeping 12" E.P.

The latest yarn from Don Howland and Lamont ?Bim? Thomas comes in the form of a big bonus 12-inch and should alleviate any complaint subscription holders can lobby against the lack of monthly continuity. It?s taken a huge chunk of my life to warm to Howland?s cracked, yet dead serious, hick-punk blues, and in that time, they?ve actually become heavier, looser, cretins more productive than ever in what could be seen as a renaissance of sorts. I don?t believe there was this much essential Bassholes in the beginning. The title track is a first (evidence of this shift), allowing Thomas lead vocals to lament over a soul-drenched, electric thump. Then comes ?Cyclotron.? The punk classic is now traditional amongst the Columbus stable, and Howland?s bottomless pit rendition sits well in the company of the opposite side?s haunting, plucked minstrels. ?(I Went) A Willing Prisoner? is Howland at his most sinister. Singing about various forms of genocide, you know he?s playing a character you never want to meet in casual conversation. But that character?s acerbic ?devil should care? wit and the errant yodeling makes him a character that needs to be heard. If CDR keeps pressing all of the whims of the Bassholes, I?m sure we?ll keep listening?intrigued. 

CDR049
Deathly Fighter
14 Yr Old Void (Gender Edit) b/w Contacters

Anyone introduced to Deathly Fighter via their September debut, Completely Dusted, is probably still scratching their head. Whether you equate the band with dub, hip-hop, minimal electronic, the Krauts or the Vegas, the trio?s music is blown out and full of human error?all the better for lo-tech and live jam. This 7-inch serves as a perfect companion piece to the album. One step beyond, actually. ?14 Year Old Voice (Gender Edit)? wobbles in quite a vivid groove. Their brief repertoire of shadowy funk comes in Technicolor. For the duration, eight-bit rainbows dot the sky, slot machines go awry, and artificial intelligence finally starts waking up. This is labeled an ?edit,? so it likely suggests this track was played all night. The synth soundtrack drone of ?Contracters? adds to the misfitting sense of production. Strings cut through, tattered squelches go hide-and-seek, beats get misplaced, and in a genre built on precision, Deathly Fighter gets a role as the raw, circuit-bending teenager, unafraid to skip and fall and push buttons. 

CDR051
The Electric Bunnies
Heal Me With Your Kiss b/w All the Pretty Girls Have Gone to the Beach

Florida?s Electric Bunnies, a Primitive Futures favorite time and again, have never once laid feet on a Columbus stage. I?m not sure if they?ve even shaken hands with the dudes that process and distribute their records. But spiritually they are a quintessential Columbus Discount band and would be welcome with open arms if they wanted to trade South Beach for Washington Beach. Now past drinking age, you can hear them growing in these songs. ?Heal Me With Your Kiss? is relaxed, mellow sunrise pop, roaming out of the cave and searching for lazy handclaps and well placed ooh-ed bubblegum harmonies. It?s a song so stripped of pretension and retro-leanings, so patient and pristine, if I had to name the best bands going in America right now, the Bunnies would be on a very short list. Include this with their other 2010 release, the ?Pretty Joanna? 7-inch, and you?ve got 20 minutes of brilliant pop. Flip it and you can see the jokey side still intact, only more subversive. ?All the Pretty Girls Have Gone to the Beach,? is ?Good Vibrations? on cough syrup, anchored in an after-hours beatbox. Maybe they?re mocking their own cuteness with such cool ugliness contained within a perfectly hummable song, but whatever the case, it works when it shouldn?t. As hard as the Bunnies are to pin down, this record shows their first love lies in popcraft. They are more than welcome to continue jumping from style to wild style in the course of an album, but their strength comes in these brief moments of copacetic genius.

Hope everybody enjoys them.

Post is running slooooooow right now, so be patient, these could take as long as two weeks to get to you.

Local Pickup'ers
The records are going to Lost Weekend Records (I'm not gonna dig up the address, google it) Wednesday night 'round 5pm. We're gonna leave them there till the 1st of the year.

It feels good to be back at it. Sorry again for the delay. Thanks everybody for not freaking out on us all that much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 am 
Jet Jaguar

the last of 'em have shipped...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:27 pm 
King Ghidorah

You can't hide your plate number Mr SRT 4587.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Love the new batch!

Also love that I know that's your truck now!

Destroying intellectual freedom is always evil, but only religion makes doing evil feel quite so good. - P. Pullman