blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comfest 2008
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:47 pm 
Jet Jaguar

melikecheese wrote:
I went. I worked during the week, didn't mind getting soaked during the day Saturday and I had no gigs Friday and Saturday nights to worry about. I was in of town on Sunday so I went. Not my first time.

My first frustration was parking, so I took a taxi. There was a total lack of signs because signs would not help or make organized traffic. I jay walked in front of moving cars (only been taxi'ing for 1 year and walked right out in front of many moving cars), it was the only way to cross the street.

Essentially, people were enjoying themselves.

I made his way to Comfest, met up with friends, heard some awesome amateurish crap but never really made my way to the jazz stage to listen to Pete Mills and Tony Monaco kick all kinds of ass. Ultimately I had a good time. Saw many boobs. Smoked dope. Drank alot. Ignored the obnoxious drunks and stoners, after I partied with them. Had a good time and didnt tell my dad what I did.

Great G. Worms set, happy to start my weekend with them. Brainbow was sweet, 1st time finally, and the Lindsay of course kicked some ass, can we get another album or something? A world tour?

brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:48 pm 
Godzilla

Comfest 2008' most priceless moment:

watching redrabbit and bavox end the drum circle Sunday night by driving the golf cart right through it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:11 pm 
Snarf

This is the best Comfest I've been to yet and I've been going since I was like three. I loved Brainbow and El Jesus. Pretty sure I was standing next to Blammo during the Unholy Two and for like a minute during DeadSea. I ran away after some guy spilled his beer all over me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

anybody know what happened to my Cyclops Jingle Ring?

also, i had this red plastic mug, said "Raise the Minimum Wage" or some shit on it. been lookin for that. also, who was throwing apples? at least give me a heads-up so i can swing at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:39 pm 
Jet Jaguar

tried the almighty fish boat for the first time, had to see what all the hype was about. and... not bad, but anything on kroger sliced wheat ain't worth 8 bones. but at least me got some omega-3s. followed by jeni's ice cream... hell yes

fav new finds:

tin armor
moon high
couch forts

most underrated stage: solar

on sat caught offramp sets from earwig through el jesus... all good

sat after the rain got painted with mud by a couple random hippy chicks. heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:42 pm 
Godzilla

the Fishboat hype is a little tired for me. Overrated.

Post subject: Starship caught on tape!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:04 pm 
Jet Jaguar

After Ugly Stick was stopped for the final time I looked to my left at the soundboard and an someone whose name will be kept secret stuck a CD in the player.

I recorded as much as I could this weekend:

Just sorting through videos today and here are the bands I taped complete sets of:

Hotel War
Teeth of the Hydra
Slide Machine
Greenlawn Abbey
Necropolis
TJSA
Lydia Loveless
Two Cow Garage
Brainbow
Weightless
Apocalypso
Ugly Stick
Muscle Puzzle
Unholy Two
Dead Sea
El Jesus
The Flashing Clock
Main St. Gospel
Paper Airplane
Los Caminos
The Lindsay

I'm going to burn individual DVDs of each set and I will put up clips as I make those. Sorry if I didn't catch your band.

Sperry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:12 pm 
Godzilla

Merkin Muffley wrote:
Image.

Found pieces of it all over the stage on Sunday... :(

Merkin Muffley wrote:
also, who was throwing apples? at least give me a heads-up so i can swing at it.

Ellis.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:22 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Didn't get there Fri, missed a lot of Sat (333 and Muscle Puzzle killed though) but made up for it Sunday once I got some chores done.

All the first year bands at Offramp were great. Tin Armor, This Is my Suitcase (mix was a little shaky at the start) and Pirate were among my faves for the wknd. Missed Los Cominos due to time spent dealing with a 5-stage-and-merch-booth token shortage crisis. Got back in time to catch 2nd half of The Lindsay's assault on eardrum membranes. Awesome. There really wasn't a better place to be for the rest of night.

Fun Fact learned after beer booth closed Sun night:
It costs 8 tokens to fill a Comfest mug to the top with organic White Zin from the wine booth still open next door.

Also the cleanest I've ever seen the park at 10pm Comfest Sunday. Maybe everything was sunk into the mud.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:45 pm 
Godzilla

curious_d wrote:
not bad, but anything on kroger sliced wheat ain't worth 8 bones. but at least me got some omega-3s.

they ran out of buns by mid-saturday. should've dropped the price by a buck, or offered a 1/2 order of fries for free to make up for it, but the bread version was still almost as good as the bun. no, that's a lie, their buns rule, but i still loved the stripped down version. enough hot sauce will make you forget it's just kroger wheat beread.

and honestly, maybe my favorite moment of comfest was realizing just how subtly erotic it is to hand feed a vegetarian a couple of bites of fishboat.

(at her request, of course, i'm not THAT big a dick. anymore, at least)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:52 pm 
Godzilla

screenname:ben wrote:
Also the cleanest I've ever seen the park at 10pm Comfest Sunday. Maybe everything was sunk into the mud.

i'll take credit for that with my constant "spend 10 seconds of every hour you're at comfest picking up 3 pieces of litter" preaching from the stages.

it'll help in the mayoral bid that i finally threw my hat in the ring for from the offramp stage yesterday.

thefiercelime wrote:
Comfest 2008' most priceless moment:

watching redrabbit and bavox end the drum circle Sunday night by driving the golf cart right through it.

speaking of:
after 10 years as a comfest vendor, 5 years as a performer, and 3 years as an emcee, when the fuck do i finally get to drive a golf cart?!?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:20 pm 
King Ghidorah

BastardSuperstar wrote:
speaking of:
after 10 years as a comfest vendor, 5 years as a performer, and 3 years as an emcee, when the fuck do i finally get to drive a golf cart?!?!?

1 year as a performer, 2years as a volunteer, and i spent 3/4 of my shift in a cart 8) ...a gator even :twisted:

my advice:
help move hay after the monsoon has turned the park into the everglades or chauffer joe diamond from the jazz stage to bozo...or be ryan smith(king & conqueror of all things hay-ee)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:27 pm 
Godzilla

mr. lady wrote:

help move hay after the monsoon has turned the park into the everglades or chauffer joe diamond from the jazz stage to bozo...or be ryan smith(king & conqueror of all things hay-ee)

actually, i was in a friend's booth when the hay was being delivered, and all i could think was how amazing the comfest crew really is!

bringing hay to the booths was a stroke of genius, and a stroke i WISH they'd had when i was still doing a booth.

Post subject: Re: Starship caught on tape!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

orlosperry wrote:
Hotel War
Teeth of the Hydra
Slide Machine
Greenlawn Abbey
Necropolis
TJSA
Lydia Loveless
Two Cow Garage
Brainbow
Weightless
Apocalypso
Ugly Stick
Muscle Puzzle
Unholy Two
Dead Sea
El Jesus
The Flashing Clock
Main St. Gospel
Paper Airplane
Los Caminos
The Lindsay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Holy Shit!!! I can't believe I read all 27 pages of the "other" Comfest thread. I want to stab myself in the eye. Geez. Whiners. I concur with Pitbulls post BTW.

I had a blast this year. I beertended Friday and Saturday this year. I missed almost every band I wanted to see but that's okay. Michelle Shocked and Black 47 were BORING.

KUDOS to Friendship Farmer Jayna for the best logo Comfest has had in years.

*unless your name is Angus Young

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:56 pm 
Godzilla

A little of Hugs & Kisses:

and

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:07 pm 
Mothra

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mis/737505633.html
i didn't know this guy rode bikes
:oops: :roll: best front man? :roll: where were the politics? :oops:

redrabbit wrote:
Merkin Muffley wrote:
Image.

Found pieces of it all over the stage on Sunday... :(

Merkin Muffley wrote:
also, who was throwing apples? at least give me a heads-up so i can swing at it.

Ellis.

mike, sorry about the apple chunks it was funny, and i told you i did it after your set...the guy who took the jingle ring from me bashed it into monitor, and the pieces flew off one by one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 pm 
Godzilla

The Zen-like twirling of nighttime hula hoopers:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:30 pm 
Godzilla

Here's about 200 photos and videos from Comfest. Feel free to comment if you'd like.

http://flickr.com/photos/kieshajenkins/sets/72157605858245872/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:04 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i can't believe no one is complaining about anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Ace Ridge wrote:
http://columbus.craigslist.org/mis/737505633.html
i didn't know this guy rode bikes
:oops: :roll: best front man? :roll: where were the politics? :oops:

redrabbit wrote:
Ellis.

don't apologize, i'm trying to get you your politics

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

verticalphil wrote:
i can't believe no one is complaining about anything.

where the fuck was vertical phil? are you still on house arrest up there or something? jeez, it's not like you aren't supposed to wear flip flops at comfest, man, you wouldn't even have to change your shoes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:22 pm 
Jet Jaguar

orlosperry wrote:
After Ugly Stick was stopped for the final time I looked to my left at the soundboard and an someone whose name will be kept secret stuck a CD in the player.

Sperry

Look closely and you'll see an someone pumping his fist on stage. Yep. I told you all Starship would play on the Starship stage.

What a fun party. Gawd showed up to say "Mr. Earwigs, you aren't gonna play" and Mr. Earwigs said "F-U" and played anyway. Gawd noticed an Jess Faller going all Rick Wright with Mr. Earwig and said "OK then". I broke my Bass Wah, which was going to be the highlight of my Bass Solo, but we still got paid.

Highlights in arbitrary order:
16 Catchin' up with friends (Good to see ya, eh?)
15 Brainbow (complete with inexplicable microphone)
14 The Lindsay (After much needling from yers truly, Gretchen did indeed play a Bass Solo)
13 Sunday Fishboat Breakfast (overhyped, maybe. Still fucking good)
12 Starship
11 Getting people to yell "Bass Solo" just by wearing a t-shirt
10 Signing an Earwig CD for a kid who braved the storm to see us
9 El Jesus
8 Dog Puppies
7 Human Puppies
6 Saturday Night Rickshaw ride home
5 cruise_elroy threatening to start a bass-only band with me (it does sound like fun)
4 Epic Drinking
3 Michelle Shocked featuring Brett Burleson on lead guitar (at one point she walked over during a solo to turn up his OD pedal). It was all I could do to not moon Brett.
2 The Sun (who fired their new bass player only to replace him with two bass players only to land at the top of their game. Seriously)

and the weirdest fucking awesome thing ever:

Ben Hamilton showing me the photo of him with Starship's Mickey Thomas, taken only last week. WHAT?

That's enough self-indulgence for one day.

Hey Curtis! You still in town? I totally missed you at the party and I think I owe you a DVD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:32 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Sofa King wrote:
2 The Sun (who fired their new bass player only to replace him with two bass players only to land at the top of their game. Seriously)

wait, what now? sunday was a day of rest and abstinence for me...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 pm 
Jet Jaguar

mr. lady wrote:

did main street gospel have a sax player with them? if that was them, that was a badass set.

much appreciated! yes that was us, with bob starker on sax...practiced with him once and thats all we needed, we were sold...he might also be playing on tuesday night with us when we play skully's with the buffalo killers...the invitation was extended, i have to hear if he's available to play, but...

http://themainstreetgospel.tumblr.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next