blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Columbus Musicians for Comfest
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 am 
Jet Jaguar

blammo wrote:
also, volunteering can actually be pretty fun.

Yeah really! We had a blast at the merch tent with Duffy and Corggirl last year. Plus we got tokens! Hooray for free beer :-D I wish we had time to do it again this year, but I'm lucky to squeeze in ANY comfest time, and it'll just be Sunday at that! :( Looks like it's Fishboat and Offramp in one day for me :-D

Post subject: Re: Comfest band list.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am 
Godzilla

greenhorn1 wrote:
coydog wrote:
Seriously? No Rosehips :roll:

I hope they're out of town that weekend.

that is only 1 stage. maybe they're playing the main stage at some point.

They're not.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:01 am 
Godzilla

coydog wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:
coydog wrote:
Seriously? No Rosehips :roll:

I hope they're out of town that weekend.

that is only 1 stage. maybe they're playing the main stage at some point.

They're not.

yeah that sucks then. they were one of the bands I was looking forward to seeing most.

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 am 
Godzilla

anybody know where I can rent some goats?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:13 am 
Godzilla

Mikepoint3 wrote:
anybody know where I can rent some goats?

http://www.pettingzoorental.com/Location.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:19 am 
Jet Jaguar

greenhorn1 wrote:
yeah that sucks then. they were one of the bands I was looking forward to seeing most.

sorry people. we did apply, but we were not asked to play.

we're pretty disappointed too, especially since a certain member of the committee told us we had a good spot about a month ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:24 am 
Mothra

casserole wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:

we're pretty disappointed too, especially since a certain member of the committee told us we had a good spot about a month ago.

You played last year though, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:27 am 
Jet Jaguar

fairplay wrote:
casserole wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:

yes, i believe we played offramp at an early time on sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:29 am 
Mechagodzilla

mr. lady wrote:

this is a festival that is not worth getting pissed off about. (i mean that in a nicer way than it sounds.) it's a free festival that expects the vast majority of it's musician participants to play for free. most of the people who see you play there probably won't see you play again. also, playing comfest isn't going to result in a platinum selling career.

the best description of the festival that i ever heard was: this is not the best bands in columbus festival.

it's really just a group of guys that have been around columbus forever that put on a party. and in recent years the entertainment committee has grown exponentially to make the process even more convoluted. nepotism, crony-ism, favoritism, "politics" they're all there. but so what. that's the music business.

just go and have fun. it's easy to have fun at comfest.

Duffy, can you get this post bronzed? Very well put, sir. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is o'er.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:29 am 
Jet Jaguar

casserole wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:

??????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Name names. That is weak.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 am 
Godzilla

fairplay wrote:
casserole wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:

So did a lot of bands. Listen, I typically stay out of the "why not them/us" suckfest, but this is an abomination. They have been one of the single most hyped, active, good bands in town during the past year. They should be playing.

Other than that, it looks like another good year on the offramp stage, save the previously mentioned brain fart.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am 
Godzilla

You can rent a goat from Paul Abbott's mother. In the spirit of Comfest- why doesn't Rosehips play a couple of songs during our set on our equipment? We're usually too distracted by alcohol to know what the hell is going on, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:38 am 
King Ghidorah

shelterhouse wrote:
When can we see you play a show? I checked your website and couldn't find any shows that I've missed or any upcoming. I couldn't even find a tourdate page on your website. I'm really excited to see your set since you have let many know how shitty they were when you saw them play. Now I've seen Barry Hensley play many times. That dude is badass and a super nice guy. Seen Jeff play a few times. He's a damn fine guitar player.

Please...PLEASE keep us notified of your shows or when you add a tourdate/show page to your website?

For the sake of honest dialogue, I'll pretend that I don't notice your sarcasm and flippancy. I'll point you to my recent posts on this message board as well as Cringe.com requesting opening slots for C'bus bands (search AMERICANA).

I've only recently rounded out my line-up. Since I've been here, I've performed at a house concert for the Wild Goose Creative, participated in a Writers-in-the-round with Jason Quicksall and Jesse Henry, and a tribute to Townes Van Zandt held at Carabar. Those are the only performances I've done.

If you visited my site, you could hardly have missed my blog on the first page. The third paragraph says this:

We're putting the word out that we're just about ready to begin making inroads on the scene. If you know of a band that would make a good co-bill, let them know about us. We need to be in front of some folks before too long.

My last few blog posts have been entirely about trying to get a band together and start playing locally. Do you have a band? Would you like to offer me an opening slot? I’d accept!

I’ve played Columbus in years past. In fact, I started my second recording here back in ’99 or ’00. HensleySturgis learned a set of my music and I did a couple of shows with them as their opener both here and in WV. Smitty (Lilybandits) was their drummer at the time and Trent Arnold was on bass. I’ve played a couple of festivals with The Sovines in St. Louis and East Lansing, MI. Hung out with the 1 Riot 1 Ranger guys in Nashville and Austin, TX. I met Tim Easton out there, too. Hell, I even wrote a hit single for a Christian band from here back in the mid-90s. I’ve known about the C’bus scene for a few years before I ever moved here.

I got to town a week or two before ComFest ’07. I spent as much time as I could bouncing from stage to stage that weekend. I saw a lot of good music. In fact, here’s what I said about it on my blog:

I've also been reconnecting with other friends on the local scene (Trent Arnold/Lilybandits, Bob Ray Starker and Matt Benz/Sovines, Tim Easton/Haynes Boys). I'm still looking to meet up with Mark Wyatt from 1 Riot 1 Ranger. I went to the Community Festival (ComFest) last weekend and saw some great local talent. Among my favorites: Big Back Forty, X-rated Cowboys, The Woosley Band, The Spikedrivers, Megan Palmer, The Wahoos.

I was polite enough to leave out the fact that I also saw some “talent-challenged performances.” I think it was sufficient to point out some of the ones I liked. I’d rather be complimentary when possible.

Nonetheless, your comment that I’ve “let many know how shitty they were” is without merit. My criticism of what I did see was also in a different context. And context is important.

So, let’s keep our perspective on this, shall we?

First, I’m not complaining that I was not included in this year’s ComFest. The organizers are free to choose whomever they wish to entertain their audiences. I don’t care if their Selection Committee is 1 stoned hippy pissing into a barrel of names on paper slips and seeing who comes up yellow! They have the right to use any or no criteria they choose.

My complaint is with the lack of professionalism in their handling of their notification (or, more accurately, the lack thereof) that I was not selected. It came in the form of an email/letter telling me (and presumably others) that if I hadn’t already been told I was playing I would not be, and telling me I should volunteer and put that on my application next year.

Now, I have no problem with volunteerism. In fact, I do it from time to time in various capacities. But by its very definition it should be “of one’s own accord or by free choice.” To use “volunteerism” as criteria for inclusion as a performer at the festival is a form of coercion.

Second, and of much less importance, I’ll address the private message sent to me by Red Rabbit (I don’t know who that is, male or female). RR said they pulled my application and noticed that I listed no performances. My response is that I have had no performances this Spring. I’m just finishing putting a band together.

However, let’s take a logical approach to that question. What is the reason for requesting my performances? Is it to see if I’m good enough to perform on their stage? ALL of my players are performing at the festival and have done so many times in the past. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that the level of musicianship of the band passes their muster. The only things left to discover are the strength of my songs and my voice. Both can be found on my website. If they were considering me and a live performance was required, they could have contacted me and requested a command performance.

Third, and let me very clear about this, I never said I’m better than everyone I saw last year. But I do think I am better than several. If that sounds egotistical to you, ask yourself if some were better than others. You, too, are making a judgment call. I saw people on stages last year making music that just was not good. Any objective person would agree.

I’ve had some pretty serious affirmation on the quality of my music. That’s a fact. So it’s not just my opinion on which I base my comments. I know other people like what I do. Not everyone. At some point personal taste takes precedent over ability and craftsmanship. But even those who don’t like my genre or style will likely acknowledge that I’m fairly decent at it. That’s all I’m saying. Nothing more. No claims regarding the odor or flavor of my feces.

Now… the point of all this is that I questioned the concept of booking artists based on whether they had volunteered. RR tells me that’s not the criteria. OK. Is it musical ability? My players are all in the festival. We should meet that standard. So exactly what is it that makes one band a ComFest-worthy band and the next one not?

RR used the phrase “on the bubble” and I asked for clarification on that. In return I got a link to a definition of the phrase itself. How patronizing. But I find it interesting that the example on the link is about qualifying for an event based on performance! Which brings me back to my question: What criteria are used to determine a band’s inclusion, exclusion, or “bubble” position?

Now, there are a couple of other folks’ points I’ll address:

ramirez wrote:

1)Maybe they didn't think you are as good as you think you are.
2)I do recognize after reading it, that the email in question is a bit "off".
3)You general attitude towards volunteering equating to "pickin up their garbage" smacks a a MASSIVE sense of entitlement. Comfest stands for COMMUNITY FESTIVAL. Volunteering is good any way you slice it (even if you are bitter that you didn't get picked to play).

1) That could be. But does that mean they think all the artists they chose are better than me?
3) I have no such sense of entitlement. See my comments before and above. They don’t owe me anything and are free to choose whomever they wish based on anything or nothing at all. But they sent me an email suggesting that I should volunteer and put that on my application next year which begs the question: “Why does it matter whether I’ve volunteered at their festival?”

fairplay wrote:

Your attitude about how great you are and how so many other local bands suck is surprising coming from such a professional as yourself. There are only so many slots to fill. There are hundreds and hundreds of bands that apply each year. How, pray tell, do you know that you are better than all of those bands?

Maybe once they post the schedule, you can go down the list of local bands that got a slot and enlighten us as to which bands are worse than you, as good as you, and better than you.

Have you even played any shows in our town this year?

Comprehension. Understand what you’re reading. I never said anything about how great I am. And I have gone out of my way to point out that I have a great deal of respect for the local scene. I’ve blogged about it on my website.

But are you telling me that I’m not as good as some of the ones that were presented last year? Were they there because they were the best band available for that slot or because they had volunteered for the festival? Either way is fine; it’s their festival. Remember my original complaint is not that I wasn’t chosen. I don’t care about that. They have the right to exclude anyone for any reason. Fine. But the rub for me is the letter insinuating volunteering determines who gets in and who doesn’t. I’ll say it over and over and over. Maybe one of those times will sink in.

As for going down the list of local bands, I’ll let you do that. You, and anyone else who cares to, can make his/her own judgment about the quality of each band, including me. You decide if they chose the most capable performers and entertainers OR if they included lesser talents to represent the Columbus music community.

Re: my local shows - Asked and answered but here it is again. No, I have not played out this year. Not for a lack of trying. I’ve been working on getting a band together and I’ve posted multiple times on this board and Cringe to ask for opening slots with other local bands.

What I’m saying at the bottom line is this: ComFest is THE Community Festival. But how do they define that? Are they trying to represent the best of the community or are they just celebrating those in their “Friends & Family” network? What defines one’s contribution to the community? If I’ve lived here for a year but I haven’t volunteered at their festival, am I not part of the community? I’ve volunteered for other things locally. Is that not part of the community? I go to local shows and support local artists. Is that not part of the community?

I don’t mind paying dues and earning people’s respect on the local music scene. I understand that. Accolades from other places are meaningless on an experiential basis. I get that. I’m willing to stand and deliver and have each person judge my music on its own merits. But that’s not what this is about.

This all goes back to the facts of this situation:

1 – I applied for ComFest.
2 – I never received confirmation that they were considering me or that I was excluded.
3 – I DID receive an email asking me to volunteer and suggesting that I include that on my application next year.
4 – That email callously informed me that if I hadn’t already gotten confirmation of a date, I was not going to be included.
5 – I took issue with the email and the apparent “pay to play” attitude. Only then did I question the criteria for inclusion and make comments regarding the quality of some of last year’s performers.

To conclude, I’m not saying I’m the best or even in the top tier in this town, but I’m definitely not among the worst. I just don’t like the implication of the email I received from the ComFest organizers.

I will be at ComFest every day. I will be bouncing from stage to stage. I will soak up as many shows as I can. I love live music. And I will be happy to hear some great performances. And I’d like to play there someday but that may not happen. I don’t take kindly to implied coercion.

Last edited by Hayseed on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:40 am 
King Ghidorah

dude,

not to diminish your plight,

but that was like, really long.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:43 am 
King Ghidorah

So...

First of all, Comfest is not the worst thing ever. I used to think it was truly a great and unique endeavor and experience, but it has now, FOR ME, lost any charm or sense of purpose that it once had. That's why I no longer volunteer, perform or even attend. Again, FOR ME, it has lost what had made it special. It is too big, too unfocused, and way too rife with the self-interests of some of its aging power-mad organizers. BUT, it is free, it is fun for many many people and it is not a corporate shill. Thus I would have to say that it is a good thing and that the world is a better place with a Comfest than without.

Second, The Community Festival is a festival related to not "The Community" but "A Community." Specifically an aging Community of hippy types that were probably afforded no sense of power in high school and now that they have it, refuse to relinquish it. Although they proclaim to be seeking young blood, they will not relinquish control. I'm looking at you EC and Program Committee. I just feel sorry for these people because true power comes from within otherwise it's simply despotism.

When I was on the EC, I tried very hard to eliminate the application process, because it conveyed a notion that it was an open selection process which it is not. Although these things help those "bands on the bubble" (translation, filler for the less than desirable slots), volunteering does not get you a slot and applying does not get you a slot (the headlining bands rarely actually apply per se). What gets you a slot is a major draw and mostly the personal championing of a senior member on the Entertainment Committee (EC).

So if you really want a Comfest slot, have Mark Fisher love your band or become a client of Lee Bass or Gabor Klein. Having a "hot chic" or two in the band also definitely helps.

Otherwise, just enjoy it or enjoy b*tching about it. Volunteering is way more fun than just attending and gives you an "in" to the internal politics which drives the festival and selection. After all, it is a privately organized festival that is open to and provided for the general public. It's their party, but you are all invited and that's a nice thing. They put a lot of work into it all year long and deserve the right to choose who plays just like SXSW.

Besides, unless you are playing the last two slots on Saturday night on the main stage, playing Comfest is not going to make or break your career. I've had really fun Comfest sets and some where I'd rather be eating a fish boat.

So go or don't, volunteer or don't its your choice. And feel free to b*tch too if you want, it's your right as an AmeriKKKan citizen. Just don't delude yourself that it'll make a difference or that anyone cares. Life aint fair and not everybody likes you or your music. Doesn't mean it's good or bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:49 am 
Godzilla

harry_thabombshelter wrote:
Wow, easy there fiercelime.

Anyway, I know the kids in TIMS went out to LA to record some tracks with a professional producer a few months back (after Joe finished touring with Limbeck) who was going to shop them around. While I know that it's possible to self-release, I imagine there are plenty of bands out there that would be more than happy to have some help.

I'm cool with TIMS. We did a show with them in April. The deal reference made ME feel like I was in a Time Machine. I guess I could preface my posts with- "I'm absolutley fucked in the head- but, here's my view....." for a more user friendly experience.

I thought you already knew. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:55 am 
Jet Jaguar

thefiercelime wrote:
harry_thabombshelter wrote:
Wow, easy there fiercelime.

Anyway, I know the kids in TIMS went out to LA to record some tracks with a professional producer a few months back (after Joe finished touring with Limbeck) who was going to shop them around. While I know that it's possible to self-release, I imagine there are plenty of bands out there that would be more than happy to have some help.

I'm cool with TIMS. We did a show with them in April. The deal reference made ME feel like I was in a Time Machine. I guess I could preface my posts with- "I'm absolutley fucked in the head- but, here's my view....." for a more user friendly experience.

I thought you already knew. Sorry.

Sorry about that FierceLime, I didn't know you were fucked in the head :-p No worries, I shouldn't been all offended either. If the beers weren't like 12 dollars at ComFest, I'd buy you one at the Offramp on Sunday, as it stands, maybe a corndog or something :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:59 am 
Jet Jaguar

PitBulls wrote:
So...

First of all, Comfest is not the worst thing ever. I used to think it was truly a great and unique endeavor and experience, but it has now, FOR ME, lost any charm or sense of purpose that it once had. That's why I no longer volunteer, perform or even attend. Again, FOR ME, it has lost what had made it special. It is too big, too unfocused, and way too rife with the self-interests of some of its aging power-mad organizers. BUT, it is free, it is fun for many many people and it is not a corporate shill. Thus I would have to say that it is a good thing and that the world is a better place with a Comfest than without.

Second, The Community Festival is a festival related to not "The Community" but "A Community." Specifically an aging Community of hippy types that were probably afforded no sense of power in high school and now that they have it, refuse to relinquish it. Although they proclaim to be seeking young blood, they will not relinquish control. I'm looking at you EC and Program Committee. I just feel sorry for these people because true power comes from within otherwise it's simply despotism.

When I was on the EC, I tried very hard to eliminate the application process, because it conveyed a notion that it was an open selection process which it is not. Although these things help those "bands on the bubble" (translation, filler for the less than desirable slots), volunteering does not get you a slot and applying does not get you a slot (the headlining bands rarely actually apply per se). What gets you a slot is a major draw and mostly the personal championing of a senior member on the Entertainment Committee (EC).

So if you really want a Comfest slot, have Mark Fisher love your band or become a client of Lee Bass or Gabor Klein. Having a "hot chic" or two in the band also definitely helps.

Otherwise, just enjoy it or enjoy b*tching about it. Volunteering is way more fun than just attending and gives you an "in" to the internal politics which drives the festival and selection. After all, it is a privately organized festival that is open to and provided for the general public. It's their party, but you are all invited and that's a nice thing. They put a lot of work into it all year long and deserve the right to choose who plays just like SXSW.

Besides, unless you are playing the last two slots on Saturday night on the main stage, playing Comfest is not going to make or break your career. I've had really fun Comfest sets and some where I'd rather be eating a fish boat.

So go or don't, volunteer or don't its your choice. And feel free to b*tch too if you want, it's your right as an AmeriKKKan citizen. Just don't delude yourself that it'll make a difference or that anyone cares. Life aint fair and not everybody likes you or your music. Doesn't mean it's good or bad.

Wow. Thank you for that post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 pm 
Mothra

can someone put that to music?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm 
Mechagodzilla

loopz wrote:
PitBulls wrote:
So...
<snip>

Wow. Thank you for that post.

I spoke too soon. NOW this thread is o'er. I'll add my thanks as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:09 pm 
Godzilla

Hayseed wrote:
redrabbit wrote:
Does volunteering automatically get you into ComFest? No, but I assure you that it is a factor and when we get down to the last few spots to fill, it can be, and often is the deal breaker.

Michelle S. is so excited to preform at comfest, she reduced her fee drastically...

How 'bout making quality music getting you into the festival instead of whether you have volunteered at the festival in the past?

Is "Michelle S." so excited to "preform" at ComFest that she is volunteering some shifts? Oh, wait. You said she "reduced her fee drastically." Well, that oughtta do it then.

Cheese and rice, get over it already.

You've probably sealed the deal that you will never be asked to play Comfest, so just stop complaining about it. Events like this ask for volunteers, volunteering to help events and your community is noble and puts you in good standing with your peers, hence you would get asked to play at some point.

If you don't want to volunteer, don't, but stop complaining about it. Jeeze, do you punch the TV set everytime a Red Cross volunteering commercial comes on?

confuseddildo.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:13 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Quote:
Jeeze, do you punch the TV set everytime a Red Cross volunteering commercial comes on?

Don't try this...I did this once and cut my hand really bad. So then I decided I should donate the blood to the Red Cross, but I couldn't read the 800 number because my TV set was busted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:17 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

annie oakley wrote:
Hayseed wrote:
redrabbit wrote:
Does volunteering automatically get you into ComFest? No, but I assure you that it is a factor and when we get down to the last few spots to fill, it can be, and often is the deal breaker.

Michelle S. is so excited to preform at comfest, she reduced her fee drastically...

How 'bout making quality music getting you into the festival instead of whether you have volunteered at the festival in the past?

Is "Michelle S." so excited to "preform" at ComFest that she is volunteering some shifts? Oh, wait. You said she "reduced her fee drastically." Well, that oughtta do it then.

Cheese and rice, get over it already.

You've probably sealed the deal that you will never be asked to play Comfest, so just stop complaining about it. Events like this ask for volunteers, volunteering to help events and your community is noble and puts you in good standing with your peers, hence you would get asked to play at some point.

If you don't want to volunteer, don't, but stop complaining about it. Jeeze, do you punch the TV set everytime a Red Cross volunteering commercial comes on?

You probably should have read the whole thread before you responded.

Also, if complaining about Comfest got people blackballed, they could go back to having just one stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I hope starship plays "Light the Sky on Fire" from the Star Wars Holiday Special.

random things i couldn't find on wikipedia today:

shark bites

micro magic french fries and shakes

things i could find:

boglins

sectaurs

rock lords

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Donkey Kong wrote:
casserole wrote:

??????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Name names. That is weak.

I find it comical that someone who posts anonymously would demand that Cassie "name names."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 668 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 27  Next