[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - The age old issue of mastering... where and who?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The age old issue of mastering... where and who?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:52 pm 
Godzilla

Seems like a technology thing to me, but maybe this goes in the "music catch all" bin? Anyway...

I've reached the mastering point in my most recent album project. I'm living in Illinois, but I would be willing to head back to Columbus for some mastering sessions. I definitely want to be involved in the process; the idea of sending off some songs and crossing your fingers sounds attrocious. I'd be willing to travel to other places as well (Nashville? LA? Chicago?), but Columbus seems like it would be the most economically viable.

I know Mr. Chinn recently moved to new digs and is now doing stuff on a semi-smaller scale (?), and I've heard great things about Joe Viers. Anybody else got a scoop on Columbus mastering studios? Ever since Jason White up and flew away, I just sit around and cry.

I'd really like to use a "dedicated" mastering studio if at all possible. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to be what most "pros" suggest. However, I don't think I can afford the likes of Sterling in NYC (plus, it'd be the added cost of actually getting out there and staying during the mastering process).

The first album I'm releasing is mostly acoustic with some cello, french horn, oboe, clarinet, etc... It's pretty mellow though there are a couple of orchestra swells that push the "mellow envelope." I'm looking for someone who can tweak a tasty EQ and do a good job of finding a nice, constant level for an album that definitely goes from super quiet to full voice and orchestration (not rocking amps, but there is a good deal of volume change across the project). I like a thick sound (vs. the thin "indie" flava). Tom Petty's Wildflowers is just about perfection as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sure that has mostly to do with Rick Rubin, not just Stephen Marcussen --though I have contacted Marcussen's studio, just for shits and giggles.

Anyone got suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:57 pm 
King Ghidorah

Neil Schmitt, the other half of Workbook, has super ears and does quite a bit of mastering in the new Workbook space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:03 am 
King Ghidorah

bassist/guitarist for hire
post-punk/goth/80's alternative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:39 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:53 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:22 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:22 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:30 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:32 pm 
Mechagodzilla

neil did my last two. he was very willing to do multiple versions, etc. to get it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:50 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:46 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:05 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:39 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:08 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:36 pm 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:12 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:42 pm 
King Ghidorah

waitaminute... Workbook has a new space?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:50 pm 
Godzilla