[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - (tragically) humorous // lack of creativity in Cols. music

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: (tragically) humorous // lack of creativity in Cols. music
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:56 am 
Godzilla

...there isn't a single post on Columbusmusic.com regarding the More Than Music festival...

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:29 pm 
King Ghidorah

I tried to post the news on columbusmusic.com (thursday and friday) but everytime I went to the forum, I would get a time out error.
Go Figure.

Last edited by wizard on Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:39 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:07 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:57 am 
Godzilla

An inside scoop says it's not exactly the rent that was the issue. A little somethin' somethin' about Kyle Katz & a liquor license. Not paying the rent was likely an f.u. reaction to an impending plug pulling......
"I'm just telling you what I heard" (SNL)

Snap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:08 am 
Godzilla

yeah - that sounds more likely..... I know some of the Diamond Mine people (and Columbusmusic.com people) and they are not necessarily more or less evil/snobby/yuppy/etc than anyone else at any other music board, venue, or business....

How many people on here work under the All Seeing Eye again?

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:43 pm 
Godzilla

I've ran into Kyle Katz a number of times, and he seemed like a "decent" guy...perhaps you could elaborate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:31 am 
Godzilla

eh - I don't know Kyle.... I do know Scotty Boombox and John Page though, and they're both good guys. Notice I said "some"..... care to elaborate on the other? Or would it be better suited over a mug of your libation of choice....?

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:50 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:32 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:08 pm 
Godzilla

- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:42 am 
Godzilla

I'd like to thank Mr. Slaybaugh for his well written commentary...

hmmm...nothing in the "Other Paper"...anything in the Columbus disgrace...err, I mean Dispatch?

<"I don't mean to get off on a rant here...">

to which I'd like to add... few, if any, around here give a fuck about (actual, legitimate, independent) music (and art).

Witness the proliferation of Suburban Pop-Rock™ --usually under some mantle of "Independence" (which only, in this case, means "we haven't had the opportunity to have Sony's/Universal's balls on our chin, but we'll be jumping at the opportunity if it comes...See you at Germain Ampitheater")

I can't tell you how many times I've heard recently "Oh, we're 'Pop' " in "band" self-descriptions. (given as some sort of mitigation/explanation for aesthetic-pandering-for-profit/creative bankruptcy)

unfortunately, Columbus is (save for a few exceptions) "creatively bankrupt" ...which is why Columbus is culturally bankrupt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:05 am 
Godzilla

I agree. We are stuck under a cult of mediocrity - where people are told to think outside the box, then slapped down when they do. Look no further than the popularity of cover bands as well as the "original" bands that may as well be playing covers..... I don't see this as hepless though, just a huge hurtle. And as bad as Columbus seems with this, for a small midwestern city, it ain't so bad as many others I've been to.

- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:10 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Wait a second ... am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that Columbus is not filled with good bands? I can't even begin to tell you strongly I disagree. Please tell me that I'm reading your comments the wrong way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:14 am 
Godzilla

mine? yes I suppose you are.... I think there are a ton of good bands right now, and have been in the past. I'm also saying that I've seen a lot of really amazing bands go under because it's hard for them to compete with a band that draws a thousand beer-swilling people who want to hear 3rd Eye Blind covers. And that even in as rich of a music scene as we have (which I said was better than most mid-western cities of this size), there is a lot of ....mudslinging? not sure what the word I want is - need more coffee before I can make sense I suppose....

- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:15 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

If you think Columbus is lacking in talent, go pick up a copy of the latest Cringe.com/pilation CD (or any of the previous ones), the "No Token Needed" Columbus Alive Compilation CD, or the forthcoming We Want Action compilation CD to hear all the talent there is in town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:18 am 
Godzilla

already have it, as well as the Cringe comp and a few others, as well as a bunch of 7" and CD's and tapes. I think we have a wellspring of talent.

- Kung Fu Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:19 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

sorry unpossibles, it was jawbreaker's comment being "creatively bankrupt" that i was referring to. maybe i read it wrong (could be ... i was out late last night watching one of the VERY creative columbus bands, mrs.children)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:55 am 
Godzilla

on the Cringe Comp, the only bands that "stand out creatively" to me are Silencio, The Black Swans, and Mortimur. maybe Charles Noel. Possibly The Husher. I have to admit I don't "get" Teeth of the Hydra...is it supposed to be "tongue-in-cheek"?

perhaps I'm expecting too much....

who's on the We Want Action "thingie"? (other than Denovo, who I find only marginally interesting/derivative at best)

Kopaz has it's moments, sans the self-consciously Radiohead-esque stabs at "being weird"

I'll admit Mrs. Children has a lot of potential.

I've heard "interesting" things about Wigglepussy Indiana...haven't seen them.

(to paraphrase) seems I hear "we're going to 'breakout' of Columbus " a lot more than "we're going to try to make a groundbreaking/creative record without regard for fashion/trend/etc..."

again, perhaps I'm expecting too much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:03 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Yes, I especially enjoyed Mrs. Children's creative argument for why they should have been selected for ComFest. "We were mentioned once in Rolling Stone!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:05 pm 
Godzilla

the wewantaction / relay recording comp has tracks from:
denovo, the floatation walls, tiara, kopaz, the sun, the frequent desk, templeton, dave powers, silencio, frostiva, miranda sound, the last hotel, and 84 nash.

jawbreaker, i'm sorry you don't like the columbus music scene. i think there's a lot of really great stuff going on here. if you hate it so much, start a band here that isn't creatively bankrupt. i'd like to see a lot more creative and weird stuff here than currently exists, as well.

teeth of the hydra transcends such descriptions as "tongue" or "cheek", unless you mean "demon's tongue square in the ass cheek of brutality".

[edited for the possibility of unnecessary prickdom]

Last edited by superunison on Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:13 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Title of thread changed to reflect new direction of conversation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:42 pm 
Godzilla

Denovo is derivative? Of whom?

I think there are a lot of really fantastic bands here, Jawbreaker. You mentioned a few of them, but I'd like to hear your opinion on Miranda Sound, Pretty Mighty Mighty and Ken Gould, as I think they are a great representation of Columbus music right now.

And Mrs. Children as well, but you've already noted them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:37 pm 
Godzilla

I'm in no way wishing to start a "this/that band sucks" thread, in fact all the bands mentioned so far do not suck.
(well except for a couple...)

how about a little crit, instead of the usual glad-handed sycophantic reach around?

what I'm trying to get across, is that more time should be spent creating "Independent Culture" and supporting it's institutions (that's possibly an oxymoron) and infrastructure, and less time playing Germain Ampitheater.

(digression...I'm an evangalist of the theory/idea that homemade/DIY/"outsider" culture is the catalyst from which wider (REAL) cultural "progress" / contribution / change is made...but that's a whole other topic)

I completely agree with the statement : "if you hate it (not what I said/meant) so much, start a band here that isn't creatively bankrupt "

I, as do a number of people I know, make "music"...they just aren't out self-promoting. They are making art(music) for art(music) sake. Some of this is "suck-y" "experimentation" and some of it is absolutely brilliant...

rely on Mr. Katz, et al, and Germain Ampitheater as the infrastructure to disseminate culture/art, and you get cancelled Music Festivals and Limp Bizkit/Creed/TRL/"South Beach Foam Parties"

(digression#2...creative growth isn't going to happen with a bunch of "atta-boys")

I love Pretty Mighty Mighty (perhaps they'll get out of their "funk" and get back on there and play ball)

Do The Means count as a "Columbus Band"? forgot about them and Tiara...

...I'll retract "bankrupt" as possibly overstated...

but being "independent" is more than cashing your own checks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:00 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

thanks for the explaning yourself. i didn't mean to start a "what is your problem?" arguement.