Snarf

SONIC ORPHANS
lost music films 1965-87
film and photo tour

Music performances by:

Mike Shiflet
Hobo Seance
Anna Ranger

Event starts at 7pm with a photo exhibit by Bill Daniels and music performances. Five dollar donation/ BYOB.

SONIC ORPHANS is a compilation reel of lost and found clips projected on 16mm; some silent, some that rock. They are all rare and strange celluloid gems, many have been seen by almost no one and have never seen the light of youtube. Most of this footage is truly orphaned film--- abandoned, lost, found, and now presented raw without editing. The presentation includes a discussion of “orphan films” as they are called by archivists, and at some venues on tour, a one-night photo exhibit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_film
Featuring: The Beatles/Avengers/Huns/Boy Problems/Sonic Youth/Tennessee Ernie Ford/Butthole Surfers/Johnny Cash

***1965, Beatles in San Francisco--- raw silent news footage I rescued from a closing film lab (eerie silent mop-top photo op, teenagers convulsing with Beatlemania, etc.)

***1977, Silent performance footage of the Avengers and lost takes from a student drama staring Penelope Houston, shot by poet/punk portraitist Pamela Mosher.
www.pamelamosher.com

***1980, Two legendary punk/new wave Austin bands The Huns and Boy Problems filmed live at Rauls Club. Evidence of the fertile crossover between the Film dept at UT and the music scene at Raul’s club.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raul%27s_%28night_club%29

***A couple of 100-footers of mine---Butthole Surfers performance I shot while touring with them in '87 (footage confiscated by the club for on-stage nudity, then inexplicably returned to me months later) and an outdoor Sonic Youth concert shot downtown Houston in '86.

***Plus a haunting early Johnny Cash kinoscope, and several other bizarre and unseen curios.