blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Green Lawn Abbey, Greenhorn, Pillowbiters, Lollipop Factory
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:18 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Saturday at the Ravari.

I got there too late to see Green Lawn Abbey. I was running late and I really wanted to see these guys. I've seen partial sets twice before and liked them but didn't have a lot to go on. I did get a CD so I'll check that out in the next couple days. Seem like nice chaps as well.

I also missed the beginning of Greenhorn, who I love. But god damn, they were loud. Really loud. And I like bands when it's loud, but this was not the case. There is an art to playing loud. It has to do with knowing your frequencies...and not letting those clash, causing ear splitting pain. The frequencies have to be just right. And it wasn't on this night. These guys have great songs that they know how to put the soul and ass into them. On a night like this I just, for once, would like to see what they can do at normal volumes. They don't need all that big shit to make up for anything. And as I understand it, they took for fucking ever to set up. That's not good when everything is on a really tight schedule. I love 'em though, just not as much on this night.

Next were the Pillowbiters. The evening was running really late as it was. I was told that these guys were sent home due to the over crowded schedule...but they kind of stormed the stage before Lollipop and said they were going to play 40 minutes. It was going on 12:45. Not only that, but these guys didn't have their shit ready before hand. When I see the drummer un-packing cases and unfolding stands and un packing cymbals, I'm luck "what the fuck?" Here's an ediqutte lesson for you bands and especially the drummers: have your shit ready before taking it up on stage, meaning your kit is all set up, you just have to carry it up. Stands are set up, cymbals are on the stands. This knob just had a little 4 piece with 2 cymbals and it still took him 15-20 minutes to set it up. Don't be a fucking retard, okay? Now for their review: They were unlistenable. I went outside to smoke.....I guess this could be one positive thing about the smoking ban....it made me go outside so I wouldn't have to listen to these yokles. But while I was standing out there I said goodbye to at least a dozen people...some beautiful ladies too, who said the band was so horrible that they couldn't stick around another hour to see Lollipop Factory, as it was unclear at this point if Lollipop was even going to play.
These guys did manage to cut there set down to about 30 minutes I guess.
Other than that, I don't have anything good to say about these guys, I don't even knowwho's in the band....I could very well be ripping into somebody I know here. Who cares.

Lollipop, despite the super late start delivered a short and mind blowing set. The sound guy has mixed them a couple times now ands absolutely loves them so he knew how to work with their sound. And they were loud as hell, but sounded superb. Sonically, it was fantastic. I really don't know how Tweed writes this stuff. Composition wise, it's off the chart. And I'm sure a lot of it goes over some of the people's heads, but there's enough sacarine in it to satify the popiest of sweet tooths. Even if they had to leave Dancing Queen out of the set on this night. The only bad thing I can say about these guys is that they need to slow their gig schedule down a bit soon....they've been playing their asses off over the past month or so.....but that should only mean that nobody has an excuse for not seeing them yet. They're truly this town's School of Rock.
On a side note, you'd think Dave Tweeds creativity is maybe some sort of freaking fluke or something, but nope...eveidently the breed geniuses in his family. He has some rocket scientist brother who is a blast to hang out with whenever he's in town....and a kid brother who graduated in piano performance viting from Tokyo, Japan. Great talented kid. He and Casey Cooper from Lollipop had a piano battel at the afterhours which was fucking great.

There you go folks, today's lesson: have your shit ready

Post subject: Re: Green Lawn Abbey, Greenhorn, Pillowbiters, Lollipop Fact
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:05 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Gonzo wrote:
Saturday at the Ravari.
<snip>
Next were the Pillowbiters. The evening was running really late as it was. I was told that these guys were sent home due to the over crowded schedule...but they kind of stormed the stage before Lollipop and said they were going to play 40 minutes. It was going on 12:45. Not only that, but these guys didn't have their shit ready before hand. When I see the drummer un-packing cases and unfolding stands and un packing cymbals, I'm luck "what the fuck?" Here's an ediqutte lesson for you bands and especially the drummers: have your shit ready before taking it up on stage, meaning your kit is all set up, you just have to carry it up. Stands are set up, cymbals are on the stands. This knob just had a little 4 piece with 2 cymbals and it still took him 15-20 minutes to set it up. Don't be a fucking retard, okay? Now for their review: They were unlistenable. I went outside to smoke.....I guess this could be one positive thing about the smoking ban....it made me go outside so I wouldn't have to listen to these yokles. But while I was standing out there I said goodbye to at least a dozen people...some beautiful ladies too, who said the band was so horrible that they couldn't stick around another hour to see Lollipop Factory, as it was unclear at this point if Lollipop was even going to play.
These guys did manage to cut there set down to about 30 minutes I guess.
Other than that, I don't have anything good to say about these guys, I don't even knowwho's in the band....I could very well be ripping into somebody I know here. Who cares.

I've learned from bitter experience over the years that commenting on a situation I don't have full knowledge of is pretty damn dangerous.

And I suspect all of us band guys would be rather dismayed to find out just how many cute gals have walked out during our shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:10 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Yea, I had know idea what happened with the lineup that night, there was some confusion. 2 bands? 3 bands? 4 bands?

Greenlawn gets a little better everytime I see them, especially in the vocal department.

Greenhorn required 6 faders, Kick, Sn, Rack, Floor, Vocal, Vocal, because the guitars and bass was outta control, like needles and bees fucking in your ear. I guess they've played around for awhile, so they could use the deaf excuse, but if they can still craft the pretty neat melodies and jams they played on Saturday, then they just need to turn down. But to put things in perspective, they were twice as loud last time they played, so they're working on it. I put in earplugs and enjoyed mixing them with the magical 6 faders.

Next is when chaos ensued (not really) but we really should have started the show earlier to avoid the whole situation. It's hard to squeeze four bands into a 10:30-2:00 AM slot with everyone usind their own drums and playing :45 sets.
But none of us took the role of stage gustapo, enforcing set times begining and ends. And when more then 3 bands are playing, you need a stage wrangler, whether it's me, someone in the band, or someone with the club.
I thought the Pillowbiters had a fun set, they were lax about setting up, but once they knew what was going on, they shortened their set and seemed to me to be understanding.
We got Lollipop up and running, but they seemed a little rushed and I didn't get the best check on them, so it took us both a little while to get adjusted, but it was still a great set. I really like what they do, so I could be a bit bias, but they are also nice people who are fun to work with.

So next time, make sure Greenhorn plays a little shorter of a set, make sure that when you put together a show you have beginning and end times for everyone, make sure someone is a stage manager or appoint yourself, and set up your drums and tune your guitars before you hit the stage. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA.
Oh yea,start the show earlier.
And don't drink draft beer when you are at work. Bottles only. Oh and thanks gonzo for the complement. They're not that hard to mix because they are talented. It's just a matter of getting the monitors right so they can hear themselves with all those sweet 4 part harmonies.Once again BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

Later,
Local Dumbass Soundman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:26 pm 
Godzilla

aGushkinStereoChemist wrote:
Yea, I had know idea what happened with the lineup that night, there was some confusion. 2 bands? 3 bands? 4 bands?

Greenlawn gets a little better everytime I see them, especially in the vocal department.

Greenhorn required 6 faders, Kick, Sn, Rack, Floor, Vocal, Vocal, because the guitars and bass was outta control, like needles and bees fucking in your ear. I guess they've played around for awhile, so they could use the deaf excuse, but if they can still craft the pretty neat melodies and jams they played on Saturday, then they just need to turn down. But to put things in perspective, they were twice as loud last time they played, so they're working on it. I put in earplugs and enjoyed mixing them with the magical 6 faders.

Next is when chaos ensued (not really) but we really should have started the show earlier to avoid the whole situation. It's hard to squeeze four bands into a 10:30-2:00 AM slot with everyone usind their own drums and playing :45 sets.
But none of us took the role of stage gustapo, enforcing set times begining and ends. And when more then 3 bands are playing, you need a stage wrangler, whether it's me, someone in the band, or someone with the club.
I thought the Pillowbiters had a fun set, they were lax about setting up, but once they knew what was going on, they shortened their set and seemed to me to be understanding.
We got Lollipop up and running, but they seemed a little rushed and I didn't get the best check on them, so it took us both a little while to get adjusted, but it was still a great set. I really like what they do, so I could be a bit bias, but they are also nice people who are fun to work with.

So next time, make sure Greenhorn plays a little shorter of a set, make sure that when you put together a show you have beginning and end times for everyone, make sure someone is a stage manager or appoint yourself, and set up your drums and tune your guitars before you hit the stage. BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA.
Oh yea,start the show earlier.
And don't drink draft beer when you are at work. Bottles only. Oh and thanks gonzo for the complement. They're not that hard to mix because they are talented. It's just a matter of getting the monitors right so they can hear themselves with all those sweet 4 part harmonies.Once again BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA

Later,
Local Dumbass Soundman

"punk" bands should only play 25 minutes tops.

40 mins? Come on.......

I was there. It bored me.

Gushkin played my guitar....

Post subject: Re: Green Lawn Abbey, Greenhorn, Pillowbiters, Lollipop Fact
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:35 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Gonzo wrote:
Saturday at the Ravari.
{snip}

Lollipop, despite the super late start delivered a short and mind blowing set. The sound guy has mixed them a couple times now ands absolutely loves them so he knew how to work with their sound.

that sound guy of coarse is Brian "Nerfler-Hosatron" Simakis. Once he's heard you a few times he will make you sound great every time. Once he really gets to know your music you'll never have a better sound man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:39 pm 
Snarf

1. pillowbiters booked the show in april.
2. at some point it got fucked up.
3. it didn't seem to me that anyone from any of the bands was really that bent outta shape about it, but i guess that's what message boards and fanboys are for, ex post facto. anyhow, no one mentioned bumping us to us; in fact, we had to bump falling out of cars, who we had originally booked with ourselves and greenhorn (who, by the way, i thought played the finest set i've seen from them since stache's closed).
4. setting up drums to the side of the stage before going on on wasn't possible at the ravari that night, tho' i've never reallly thought that was necessary anyway, and in fifteen years or so of playing drums have never had anyone mention my setup time. good eye tho', gonzo. thanks. the anonymity of the internet has enabled you to feel like a big man through your inability to understand/interpret a situation or your role in it, your attempts to belittle folks you've never spoken word one to via attempts to paint them as one-sided stereotypes, and your infinitely useless opinions and observations. congrats.
5. while i realize that 95% of the world's population is made up of inbred retards (and jeezus, if only i had an effing nickel fer every show i've seen where i didn't like all the bands), and that 95% of said retards believe that blogs and message boards constitute legitimate, published journalism, i just wish y'all would quit gettin' all worked up about rock shows. buy a copy of 'carburetor dung' and a shotgun and let 'er rip as yer worthlessness reveals itself.
and oh yeah, i'd be just as bitter if someone aligning themsleves with us spoke out against lollipop factory. what crap.
cheers.
nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:51 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

pillowbiters wrote:
3. it didn't seem to me that anyone from any of the bands was really that bent outta shape about it, but i guess that's what message boards and fanboys are for, ex post facto. anyhow, no one mentioned bumping us to us; in fact, we had to bump falling out of cars, who we had originally booked with ourselves and greenhorn (who, by the way, i thought played the finest set i've seen from them since stache's closed).
4. setting up drums to the side of the stage before going on on wasn't possible at the ravari that night, tho' i've never reallly thought that was necessary anyway, and in fifteen years or so of playing drums have never had anyone mention my setup time. good eye tho', gonzo. thanks. the anonymity of the internet has enabled you to feel like a big man through your inability to understand/interpret a situation or your role in it, your attempts to belittle folks you've never spoken word one to via attempts to paint them as one-sided stereotypes, and your infinitely useless opinions and observations. congrats.
5. while i realize that 95% of the world's population is made up of inbred retards (and jeezus, if only i had an effing nickel fer every show i've seen where i didn't like all the bands), and that 95% of said retards believe that blogs and message boards constitute legitimate, published journalism, i just wish y'all would quit gettin' all worked up about rock shows. buy a copy of 'carburetor dung' and a shotgun and let 'er rip as yer worthlessness reveals itself.
and oh yeah, i'd be just as bitter if someone aligning themsleves with us spoke out against lollipop factory. what crap.
cheers.
nick

Yeah, message boards suck so much but I'll still take the time to register and write a really long reply.

And no, you wouldn't have registered if it was a rip on Lollipop Factory. Cuz that happened last week and you weren't rushing to register.

There's no shame in defending yourself against Gonzo (who you can find out easily who it is), but try not to take everyone down at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:40 pm 
Snarf

duffy, i've never read yer page or message board until today, and only now because someone sent me a link to the thread without telling me what it was. i didn't say that message boards suck, though admittedly i don't spend any catalogable amount of time on them, i said that inbred retards who believe them to constitute legitimate, published journalism (and thus support their own reasons for writing worthless review-styled swill - or, ah, is it more as self-styled rik-from-young-ones-esque 'poets of the people'? i don't know...) suck. and i stand by my word. also, i didn't say i was against people ripping on bands, though i think it's pretty useless, especially when done with so little discernible skill; i do, however, fully mean that if someone we know had posted a thread talking about how lollipop factory 'stormed the stage' after greenhorn finished, and should've been put off the bill so we could play longer and how all the girls were gone by the time they were on anyway or whatever (all things that could be seen as more or less true depending on how you look at it/where yer coming from), i would've called that out as bullshit. and i think i really, in a not-bringing-everyone-down kinda way, left a pretty good margin for error there; what we'll for the sake of argument call the 'IR95' theory leaves 35,000 or so non-inbred retards in the columbus area alone! i certainly haven't found that many cool folks, and believe i've been here longer than you, rob. i've never gotten on a so-called community message board to harsh opening bands, either, so i hesitate to assume that's it's my fault if there really are another 34,975 wonderful people in this town that i haven't met yet . anyhow, i'm not really all that interesteed in who gonzo is, but i think he should've been at least interested enough in who i am to address his grievances to my face a couple days ago when they were pertinent.
i guess it's naive to think that a community message board would serve to stoke a community rather than pit it against itself, but like i said, i'm not really an authority on the things.
l-u-v,
nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 pm 
Mechagodzilla

pillowbiters wrote:
cheers.
nick

You're as clueless about what's going on around you as you are about getting your stuff set up. I would think in your "15" years, you might be able to take some criticism, after all, you open yourself up to it anytime you get on stage.

Everyone here knows who I am, but for the clueless ones, my name is Doug.
Thanks Fuck-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:16 am 
Jet Jaguar

My dad can piss further than your dad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:17 am 
Mothra

Quote:
You're as clueless about what's going on around you as you are about getting your stuff set up. I would think in your "15" years, you might be able to take some criticism, after all, you open yourself up to it anytime you get on stage.

I started out writing a really brutal reply and then posted it, and Joel's nice summary made me feel guilty. I'll try to use nice language in this edited version. Still... I'm amazed that anyone could get too worked up about Gonzo's review. Like so many spoutings by people who don't seem to have any filters between whatever pops into their brain and 'gee, I'll publish it on the Internet!', the review (geez, to use the term loosely) reveals more about him than anything, and what it reveals is funny, funny, funny! 'ediquette'? Hyuk hyuk hyuk.

Post subject: dipshits
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:04 am 
Mechagodzilla

in the future, unless you're charging $25 and up for the show, don't book four bands. it's a good thing none of these bands are worth seeing, or i would have been up there telling you idiots to play shorter sets and set up quicker.
i have an idea, let's have a "WHO CAN SET UP THE QUICKEST?" contest. winner gets the door. no kidding.

*also, be glad someone gave a shit enough to write about your show, even if it was a bad review. then you can learn from your mistakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:38 am 
Mechagodzilla

Oh boy.

Well, I think Gonzo is a great guy. I also have known Nick for a long time and he is cool as hell. Doesn't look like i'll be hanging out with the both of you at the same time anytime in the near future!!!

Gonzo does have a point about setting up your kit beforehand to save time. It is something I have always done to get things moving quicker. I do it for more selfish reasons, I like to be ready to go so I can grab some beers before the set begins. When all you have to do is set your drums in place, you can get a drink while the soundguys and other band members play with their pedals and stuff.

I was not at the show, so I have no idea what went down or how it happened. I know that Nick has always been a considerate guy, and if someone had said to him "Hey, could you set up your drums ahead of time to help us move the show along", he most likely would have done so.

I will also say that I've seen The Pillowbiters twice, and I thought they were fucking amazing.

Everyone just relax. It's just teh inernetz. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:37 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

pillowbiters wrote:
5. while i realize that 95% of the world's population is made up of inbred retards (and jeezus, if only i had an effing nickel fer every show i've seen where i didn't like all the bands), and that 95% of said retards believe that blogs and message boards constitute legitimate, published journalism, i just wish y'all would quit gettin' all worked up about rock shows. -nick

Since it doesn't consistute legitimate journalism, I wish y'all would quit getting so worked up about one opinion. I appreciate you coming here and telling your side of it, but to suggest that the whole message board premise is for retards is just silly. I should point out that if it weren't for message boards, I, and likely many others, would have no idea who the Pillowbiters are. And we're finding out more and more about them as you post. Think of this- I don't know how you perceive us as fitting into your upper crust of intellect, or whether we're all 95th percentilers or not, but there are 1500 people here because they care about music. local music. These are your potential fans. Maybe a little less condescention would improve your public relations.

pillowbiters wrote:
i guess it's naive to think that a community message board would serve to stoke a community rather than pit it against itself, but like i said, i'm not really an authority on the things.

So if we just report every show as the greatest and turn this board into one big local love-fest with no negative comments allowed, would that "constitute legitimate, published journalism"?

Heads up, dude. Duffy does PLENTY to stoke this community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:40 am 
Mechagodzilla

groundrules wrote:
pillowbiters wrote:
5. while i realize that 95% of the world's population is made up of inbred retards (and jeezus, if only i had an effing nickel fer every show i've seen where i didn't like all the bands), and that 95% of said retards believe that blogs and message boards constitute legitimate, published journalism, i just wish y'all would quit gettin' all worked up about rock shows. -nick

Since it doesn't consistute legitimate journalism, I wish y'all would quit getting so worked up about one opinion. I appreciate you coming here and telling your side of it, but to suggest that the whole message board premise is for retards is just silly. I should point out that if it weren't for message boards, I, and likely many others, would have no idea who the Pillowbiters are. And we're finding out more and more about them as you post. Think of this- I don't know how you perceive us as fitting into your upper crust of intellect, or whether we're all 95th percentilers or not, but there are 1500 people here because they care about music. local music. These are your potential fans. Maybe a little less condescention would improve your public relations.

pillowbiters wrote:

So if we just report every show as the greatest and turn this board into one big local love-fest with no negative comments allowed, would that "constitute legitimate, published journalism"?

Heads up, dude. Duffy does PLENTY to stoke this community.

I will comment that one time I had something negative to say about this site, I was jumped on in the biggest way. I never said I hated Donewaiting.com or Mr. Duffy, but I had a few issues. You would have thought I betrayed Christ by the reaction. I'm not complaining about that, I'm glad that people are passionate enough about something to defend it so strongly. I do like this site (duh, I'm here), and I have some minor issues with some aspects of what goes on here, and so is my right.

I understand why people get defensive. You work hard on something, and someone just comes in and pisses on your hard work. But as was said a few posts ago, you put yourself in the spotlight, you better be ready for criticism. That goes for both Donewaiting, The Pillow Biters and yes even the people who critique both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:02 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

oh yeah, i forgot you complained about the bands i put out on my own album with my own money..

heh heh.

good ol' days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:10 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

larrymusic wrote:
I will comment that one time I had something negative to say about this site, I was jumped on in the biggest way.

it wasn't so much a slam on the site that I resent, it was the suggestion that by being here I'm an 'inbred retard.'

Post subject: Re: dipshits
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Merkin Muffley wrote:
*also, be glad someone gave a shit enough to write about your show, even if it was a bad review. then you can learn from your mistakes.

true that. i think it's gnarly that you can go to a website and find reviews of your shows and others. how else would i find out about bands that aren't established enough to have reviews in the alive and other paper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:17 pm 
Mechagodzilla

groundrules wrote:
larrymusic wrote:
I will comment that one time I had something negative to say about this site, I was jumped on in the biggest way.

it wasn't so much a slam on the site that I resent, it was the suggestion that by being here I'm an 'inbred retard.'

Hey, I'm on here. I know I'm not inbred.

And Duff, I didn't have a problem with that. Don't confuse me with my former bandmate. I was just defending his right to come out and give honest criticism. At least I don't feed you a handfull of bullshit. You know that when I say I like the site, I really fucking mean it.

And yes, I don't care who paid for what, I'll complain about who you have on your record all I want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:26 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

my bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:32 pm 
Mechagodzilla

robertduffy wrote:
my bad

I love you Duffy. I really do. Not in that way, put your pants back on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:10 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Jesus Titty Fucking Christ folks, it was just a review.

Let me make a few things clear.

1. I don't go to shows hoping to see a bad band or a bad show...though I will admit, I sometimes enjoy seeing a crappy band almost as much as a really good band if for nothing else, comedic relief.

2. In MOST cases I will not even mention a crappy band or a band I thought was crappy. You have to be slinging some extreme crud or act like a complete tool for me to waste the time mentioning it.

3. In this particular case, I probably wouldn't have mentioned the Pillowbiters if I didn't overhear them as they pimped the stage saying "we're playing a 40 minute set" in a fuck you sort of tone. Had they blown me away, I would have over-looked this, but they didn't. They were clearin' the place out, including me.

4. The show ended up going just fine and The Pillowbiters did shorten their set as did Lollipop.

5. I'm sure as people, the memebers of the Pillowbiters are good guys....as I mentioned in my review, I may very well be ripping someone I know and I still didn't care. It's the price you sometimes have to pay just getting on stage and unleashing your drek on the money spending public.
I'm sure Nick, as person, is probably a good guy...a little wound tight, but probably a good guy. At leaset he had a sweet kit.

6. Over 20 responses about a band that most have never heard of. This is clearly a case of "Bad press is good press."

fuck it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:35 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Gonzo wrote:
6. Over 20 responses about a band that most have never heard of. This is clearly a case of "Bad press is good press."

fuck it.

Especially for a punk band.

Fuck it. I Hope everyone hates what I do. You have to care to hate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:43 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Yeah, I think the point here is that the show somehow got double booked so everyone keep your heads up when booking shows. I would hate to see the Ravari start to develop Bernies-like problems. Lets also keep in mind that Gonzo was wrong, if there is a lesson to be learned here that might be it.

Also that Simakis indeed kicks much ass behind the soundboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:54 pm 
Snarf

uh, again, i didn't bag on mesage boards. and though i think we established the percentages involved in the IR95 theory last time around, and that every single person who considers themselves a part of the donewaiting community would fit comfortably in that 5%, i'm starting to wonder since many of you seem to find this so hard to comprehend.
i'm fine with message boards.
i'm fine with criticism, though that's not what gonzo is oferring (except for the side-of-the-stage bit, which larrymusic & i responded to already), which i tried to point out as well - that's why i mentioned the lester bangs book.
i'm not fine with inbred retards.
i don't think that message boards should be all lovey-dovey, and i do think duffy/donewaiting does plenty to stoke the community - or at least the sections of it that he finds worthwhile; i'm questioning the community's ways of dealing with itself, and coming down on the side of actual personal interaction over the pseudo-seriousness of an internet 'review' post. (and don't take me to task for calling the community inbred retards, 'cause i didn't - necessarily - and i have been damned gungho about the music in this town fer, yeah, about fifteen years).
i do think that when people have problems with each other that relate to a specific event and its ability to come off smoothly, and that when that event doesn't come off exactly the way that they thought it would/should they pout to their given (corner of the) community about it, though the answer was right in their tubby little fingers the whole time, it's asinine.
i guess it's less who can piss further than who can shit all over themselves more.
peace & love & fooling around,
nick

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next