blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Knife in the Water @ The Lager House Detroit + Rant
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:47 am 
Godzilla

Well i went to see Knife in the Water play in detroit saturday night. They're just kind of a alt countryish (in a slow way) band from texas with nice melodies and harmonies that kind of get stuck in my head. I wasn't really sure what to expect live, but their studio stuff is fairly polished. Anyway, the lager house in detroit was (in my opinion) a fairly crappy venue, the band was just....weird. the least charisma i've ever seen on stage. i mean, it almost seemed as if these people didn't even know each other. i'm not sure any of them said anything the whole time until their keyboardist said thank you when they finished their set. Anyway, i quite enjoyed the songs they played that i knew beforehand, and the songs i hadn't heard before made me hope they release another disc soon.

Here's my rant. A band from texas, on tour, with only 2 bands on the bill, on a saturday night, and they played for 30...MAYBE 40 minutes. I liked it, but no concert is worth 6 hours of driving for 40 minutes. And maybe it's just me, but this seems to be becomming a trend. In the last few months i saw the sun play a 30 minute set in Toledo, and the Aereogramme headlining set at the factory only ran about an hour. Maybe i was just spoiled, but i seem to remember bands playing longer in the past. Headliners usually played close to 2 hours (social distortion, too much joy, nine inch nails, greenhorn) if not more. I've seen tim easton play 3 hour sets (with a break) many times.

In seeing local bands here in columbus i got used to seeing short sets but i just assume it was because columbus seems to like to cram 3 or 4 or 5 bands a night together and not start until 11PM. But i figured this was just a local quirk and not some sort of trend that would extend to headlining, touring, and national acts.

Anyway, i'd just like to see the bands i like play longer, end of rant.

oh yeah, there were only about 8 people watching knife in the water play at the show including my girlfriend and I, so i don't know if that had any effect on the length of their set or not.

Post subject: who else?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:07 pm 
Mechagodzilla

did they play with a band called 'the trouble with sweeney' from philly? what did you think of them? they played the night before (friday) at bernie's with my band and i loved them, can't wait to go to philly and play with them...super catchy pop songs with just enough quirks and twangs to satisfy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:10 pm 
Godzilla

They did play with The trouble with sweeny. I overheard one of the guys from that band talking about being in columbus the night before and it being cool getting to hang out with the different bands each night.

Unfortunately, i'd never heard of them before and had to do the easter thing the next morning so we took off after knife in the water and i didn't get to see them. Rather wish we had stayed now.

Post subject: word.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:19 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i hear ya...yeah, they were amazing (best show i've EVER seen at Bernie's and I've been to shows at Bernie's 50+ times) and they said they want to come back a few times this summer/fall and do more shows with us (not sure how much that was honesty or alcohol talking though). I just wish there had been more people there to see them, i felt like it was one of those shows where there were so few people there for the actual show that you were 'in on the secret' but it was a good time (we were up until like 5 in the morning hanging out, listening to soft rock songs and drinking delicious philly lager they brought wtih them). if you want to check out their mp3's, go to http://www.thetroublewithsweeney.com and download songs from their CD that's being released next week 4/29, I believe its called, "I Know You Destroy" and its awesome (my fav. of their 3 that I own - I got a super-secret burnt copy from Joey Sweeney) and listened to it all the way home on Saturday afternoon to my parents' house for the Easter thang...