[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Radiohead, The King of Limbs

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Radiohead, The King of Limbs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

new album out now.

Post subject: Re: Radiohead, The King of Limbs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:44 pm 
King Ghidorah

There used to be one album I did not care for by Radiohead. That album was "Hail To The Thief".

Now there are two albums that bore me to tears, and this one way more so. I'm used to this band giving me WTF moments, but is this the best they could do? Sounds like a demo Thom gave the band and decided they were too lazy to develop it and put it out as is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 am 
Godzilla

A few of the songs are good but I agree, overall it is boring. Maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:08 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:41 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 pm 
King Ghidorah

Well, being that there's only 8 songs on the album I think liking 4 isn't all that bad.

Not as good as Kid A/Amnesiac but better than Hail to the Thief and I think slightly better than In Rainbows...I dunno.

There is a part in "Bloom" right in the middle of the song that might be one of the prettiest lines they've ever written.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm 
King Ghidorah

I don't think TKOL sounds underdeveloped, or like incomplete demos. I think it's been overdone in a lot of respects.

It's strange, there are a couple of cover versions of "Lotus Flower" floating around youtube that I prefer to the real song. And it just demonstrates that at it's essence (with an acoustic guitar and a voice,) it's decent. But I feel like they tried too hard with the entire album and lost the essence of something actually worthwhile.

The entire disc is a hard listen. I think there are some really intelligent things going on. The first track is just as clever as any of their best Kid A moments, but it doesn't make for a better song necessarily. And maybe this is one of those records we'll look back on and figure out that we just weren't ready for it at the time. But I doubt it.

I think Thom's really come into his own as a singer on these last two records. He has more control of his vibrato and his use of words as an instrument, and it's certainly not lost here. I just wish the material was better, or at least delivered in a manner that doesn't make you work so hard to TRY and like it.

Rather than a newspaper album, I'm thinking maybe they made a publication that's more similar to Columbus CEO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:02 am 
Mechagodzilla

See, I'm a Radiohead fanboy, and I tend to love 90-100% of every album, so 50% is pretty disappointing, especially with such a short tracklist. It's a question of expectations.

(As an aside: Returning to "In Rainbows" this year as I seek context for "The King of Limbs", I'm of the mind that "In Rainbows" is among the elite Radiohead albums. Probably only "OK Computer" and "Kid A" top it for me.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:19 pm 
King Ghidorah

Am I the only one who thinks the album is amazing?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:32 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 pm 
King Ghidorah

It's definitely not amazing. Maybe we'll see a companion to this, out of the blue, in a couple months time --- that might lend to this album making more sense? That's my theory. Still, there are some revelatory moments on this record. And I'm of the opinion that Radiohead make albums that sound like nothing else. So without TKOL being the best Radiohead album, it's leaps and bounds better than most records coming out today.

Deville wrote:

(As an aside: Returning to "In Rainbows" this year as I seek context for "The King of Limbs", I'm of the mind that "In Rainbows" is among the elite Radiohead albums. Probably only "OK Computer" and "Kid A" top it for me.)

I wholeheartedly agree. Anyone who doesn't think In Rainbows is their 3rd best record (or maybe fourth, if you're a Bends loyalist), isn't listening hard enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:40 am 
Godzilla

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:54 am 
Godzilla

I agree that In Rainbows, OK Computer and Kid A are the keepers. The Bends I suspect I never took enough time to get into for it to grab me. There were just a ton of other records at the time that I thought were so much better so it was in CD pile C or D for months and faded- and then they released OK Computer and blew my mind.

I never really liked The Bends as an entire record but there are some great songs on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm 
King Ghidorah

I like most of their stuff. Kid A, Ok Computer, the live album and In Rainbows are my favorites. I think Thom's solo album is fucking awesome too.

This one just sounds like half the band farting around. Was the drummer and bass player even on half the songs? Doesn't sound like it. Such waste of a great rhythm section.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:31 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:46 pm 
Snarf

more of a singles band really.