blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jack White defends Third Man Records eBay auctions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:21 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

curious to hear people's opinions on this..

Quote:
There is a rebellion brewing among fans of Jack White's label, Third Man Records, over the company's decision to auction limited-edition releases to the highest bidder. After admitting that Third Man was inspired by profiteers who "flipped" the label's releases on eBay, White has waded into the debate, telling critics to "stop all of the whining". "We didn't do anything to you but give you what you want," he wrote. "Don't want them to be expensive? Then guess what? Don't WANT them."

Since 2009, White has been issuing limited-edition records on his Third Man imprint, including releases by the Dead Weather, Conan O'Brien and the White Stripes. Many of these are released in runs of 100 or 300 copies, with tri-colour, glow-in-the-dark or oddly sized vinyl. Although these limited editions often resell for hundreds of pounds, Third Man sold them on a first-come, first-served basis through its Nashville headquarters, "pop-up shops" and a paid members' service, the Vault. With the label's rising profile, and its releases' rising values, Third Man has attracted "flippers", who buy limited records purely sell online.

This week, Third Man Records decided to beat the flippers at their own game, listing their own limited-edition White Stripes reissues on eBay. Vault subscribers were directed to these auctions, where bids have soared to more than $300 (£193). But many Third Man Records fans are furious about the label's new strategy, taking to the label's message board to complain about "fan exploitation" and "FU to Vault members". White waded in with a series of stern responses.

"We sell a Wanda Jackson split record for 10 bucks, the eBay flipper turns around and sells it for 300," he explained (via Antiquiet). "If 300 is what it's worth, then why doesn't Third Man Records sell it for 300? If we sell them for more, the artist gets more, the flipper gets nothing ... We thought we'd let you decide how much they cost this time."

But what began as a calm explanation soon descended into a tirade. "You would go so far as to say fuck you to us?" White wrote. "For what? We didn't do anything to you but give you what you want ... If you don't want [this record], DONT BUY IT. And if you do want it, don't act like you DON'T want it. Get in line like anyone else ... It's you and others wanting them that dictates the price and the entire nature of the idea."

According to White, "there's a guy who waits in a black SUV down the block from Third Man who hires homeless people to go buy him tri-colour [records] when they are on sale". Third Man is simply trying to cut out these opportunists. "You act like we bury [vinyl] in tunnels in Vietnam for God sakes," he continued. "Don't be spoiled, don't insult people who are trying to give you what you want ... Seriously stop all of the whining, because what you communicate to us is that all of the trouble we go to isn't worth it because nothing we do will make you happy."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/de ... y-auctions

Post subject: Re: Jack White defends Third Man Records eBay auctions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 pm 
Godzilla

sounds pretty logical to me

glad im not a white stripes collector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 pm 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

This dude is the lamest and so are his fan boys. If you can't hang with people flipping YOUR collector versions then don't make them. Oh wait... but would people buy them without some baseball card geek out feature.

Couple this with RSD Black Friday Edition it leads to believe that I'll be able to sell my 90's baseball card collection. Does anyone want a bedazzled Jerome Walton Rated Rookie with an unreleased boob shot taped to the back? First moron with a stiffy can have it for $75.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:37 pm 
Mechagodzilla

yeah this shit is so lame.
RECORD $TORE DAY...THE LABEL
"manufactured collectibles for a manufactured holiday"

everybody associated with "music" is such a fucking weasel. go to austin, texas in march sometime or play a show at a "D.I.Y. $$pace" in new york city & u'll see what i mean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:42 pm 
Donewaiting Comfest Commitee Liaison

RSD and RSD Black Friday are these luring the same people who would rather buy some Itunes stuff into record stores to buy some manufactured collectable. I mean, most of these people, IMO, have abandoned brick and mortar shops for the ease of ITunes/ downloads but the allure of getting in on the ground floor of something "collectable" is totally insane and will 100% fail when the general public no longer cares about "vinyls". I've said it a million times, I don't need a "holiday" to spend my money at a good record store.

It is sickening and I personally would rather spend my money on something ill. There are plenty of great records out new and reissued (and used!). Does the world need a "collectable" U2 record? Does the world need another U2 record period? Rock music ended with Les Rallizes Denudes. All these other dudes are false.

It bums me out to see all this major label trash getting issued for RSD. It's a total cash grab. I read that you could buy the new George Benson on CD on Black Friday RSD (reg release date in Jan). COULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT GEORGE BENSON? ON A CD? I like taking smooth shits but smooth jazz can really fuck off.

Sorry, if I'm surly. Little sleep, myself and little kids don't mix.

Last edited by jill ebenezer on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:45 pm 
Godzilla

This is inspiring. I've been meaning to buy back our old catalog, out of print stuff on amazon for $1 and then flip it at at shows for $2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:42 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

i'll trade some of my rare beanie babies for that conan single.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 pm 
King Ghidorah

I think there is nothing to be defensive about. Like Jack said, if the demand was not there it would not go for those higher prices. Don't want to spend 300 bucks on a record? Then just don't do it. No one is being forced to buy this shit.

If you have to have it and don't have the cash, download the fucker for free.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:43 pm 
Mothra

There's something kind of Republican and mean-spirited about what White's doing. It's this uber-capitalism gone awry. Bit of a control freak, if you ask me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm 
Mothra

I agree, he should be more Democrat and free-spirited and just give whatever I want for free.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:56 pm 
Mothra

you know it.
C'mon Jack. At least be more independent.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 pm 
Godzilla

At least it's only records. That would suck if they were in charge of setting prices for food. We make a loaf of bread for like 10 cents and sell it for a few more pennies a loaf. They turn around and sell it at a $.67 markup. We figured this time we'd let you decide how much a loaf of bread is worth. You don't wanna eat, don't fuggin buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:21 am 
Godzilla

Jill, do you mean to say that someday the general public won't care about vinyl?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:22 pm 
King Ghidorah

Wait, Jack White is an asshole?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:33 am 
Snarf

jill ebenezer wrote:
RSD and RSD Black Friday are these luring the same people who would rather buy some Itunes stuff into record stores to buy some manufactured collectable. I mean, most of these people, IMO, have abandoned brick and mortar shops for the ease of ITunes/ downloads but the allure of getting in on the ground floor of something "collectable" is totally insane and will 100% fail when the general public no longer cares about "vinyls". I've said it a million times, I don't need a "holiday" to spend my money at a good record store.

It is sickening and I personally would rather spend my money on something ill. There are plenty of great records out new and reissued (and used!). Does the world need a "collectable" U2 record? Does the world need another U2 record period? Rock music ended with Les Rallizes Denudes. All these other dudes are false.

It bums me out to see all this major label trash getting issued for RSD. It's a total cash grab. I read that you could buy the new George Benson on CD on Black Friday RSD (reg release date in Jan). COULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT GEORGE BENSON? ON A CD? I like taking smooth shits but smooth jazz can really fuck off.

Sorry, if I'm surly. Little sleep, myself and little kids don't mix.

Just curious - it seems that a lot of what you don't like about the e-bay auctions seems applicable to this, doesn't it?:

http://columbusdiscountrecords.com/home.html

specifically manufactured "collectable" records, where they make sure to tell you how limited and unique they are? (only 100 in pink vinyl!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:24 pm 
Mechagodzilla

utility step stool wrote:

Just curious - it seems that a lot of what you don't like about the e-bay auctions seems applicable to this, doesn't it?:

specifically manufactured "collectable" records, where they make sure to tell you how limited and unique they are? (only 100 in pink vinyl!)

those are called pressing stats, mate.
where r the words "only" or " :!: "
do some mailorder & u will notice this or if u actually make music someone else would like 2 listen 2 press a record y'self :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:49 pm 
Snarf

christopher lasch wrote:

those are called pressing stats, mate.
where r the words "only" or " :!: "
do some mailorder & u will notice this or if u actually make music someone else would like 2 listen 2 press a record y'self :oops: :oops: :oops:

well, sure, technically they didn't use those words - but technically, i was looking at the claims of "uniqueness" (*cough* "collectibility") made by them. "Hand-printed screen covers", "First 100 orders get colored vinyl", "never before seen pictures", "All in hand-signed 2XLP gatefold sleeve...", "But if you missed this the first time around, grab it now" (i've entered in bold for emphasis), "All in unique, hand-printed sleeves"... i could go on. The point wasn't that they used specific words - the point was that they're specifically advertising to a collector's market... (the hand-printed screen covers don't actually make the music sound better...)

I'm not specifically badmouthing CDR - i'm just pointing out a relationship between some of her criticisms and CDR, regarding the notion of manufactured collector's items, and given their prima facie connection, trying to understand what conclusions to draw. I don't know what the conclusion is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:34 pm 
Mechagodzilla

ugh obviously there is a difference between a major label funded record being intentionally released as a collector's item w/ a limited pressing, then sold through a website where u bid on them ...& indie labels pressing a few hundred records because there r only a few hundred people who want them

(the hand-printed screen covers don't actually make the music sound better...)

some people r trying to get their records into the hands of art students & subversive types.

"Why even make artwork 4 a record :?: :?: :?: "

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm 
Snarf

christopher lasch wrote:
ugh obviously there is a difference between a major label funded record being intentionally released as a collector's item w/ a limited pressing, then sold through a website where u bid on them ...& indie labels pressing a few hundred records because there r only a few hundred people who want them

some people r trying to get their records into the hands of art students & subversive types.

yeah, i understand there are differences. I realize that other labels are bigger, and don't sell via auction. but it was earlier suggested that the notion of "manufactured collectible" was objectionable - i.e., a record with "baseball card geek out features".

I guess i'm wondering what counts as a "manufactured collectible". I was under the impression that CDR really was intentionally releasing records as a collector's item - i.e., a "manufactured collectible". The wording pretty much sounded like it... "If you missed this the first time around, grab it now"? "Unique", "Hand-signed"...? It seems like they intend to sell something to people who want something "special" that nobody else has, that has extra value in virtue of its being unique/special - i.e., a collectible.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with manufactured collectibles, or there is, and there a distinct difference between CDR and Big Label's intent, such that one is making manufactured collectibles and the other is not? It just seemed that people thought it's being a manufactured collectible, was, by itself, a bad thing. (in addition to other bad features).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 pm 
Mechagodzilla

cdr is reissuing out of print (OOP :oops: ) cassettes on vinyl so they can b enjoyed by people other then collectors, AND on a superior format. if u have a double lp, u put it in a gatefold because stuffing 2 lps in one jacket is for amatuers.

i changed "but" 2 "AND"

Last edited by christopher lasch on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:37 pm 
Mechagodzilla

this might be easiest way to explain.
go 2 a distro on the internet and u'll see that the cdr releases through that distro r usually less expensive than the other distro's records because cdr sells their records 2 distros on the cheap. they arent selling them through auction sites.

selling records & gear or pretty much anything on auction sites or craigslist is 4 desperate people who need $$$ because they r losers with children and pets or church or think that jack white/alicia keyes james bond song is good :cry: :cry: :cry:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:39 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:47 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Is that a fridge?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:50 pm 
Jet Jaguar

christopher lasch wrote:

yeah, i understand there are differences. I realize that other labels are bigger, and don't sell via auction. but it was earlier suggested that the notion of "manufactured collectible" was objectionable - i.e., a record with "baseball card geek out features".

I guess i'm wondering what counts as a "manufactured collectible". I was under the impression that CDR really was intentionally releasing records as a collector's item - i.e., a "manufactured collectible". The wording pretty much sounded like it... "If you missed this the first time around, grab it now"? "Unique", "Hand-signed"...? It seems like they intend to sell something to people who want something "special" that nobody else has, that has extra value in virtue of its being unique/special - i.e., a collectible.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with manufactured collectibles, or there is, and there a distinct difference between CDR and Big Label's intent, such that one is making manufactured collectibles and the other is not? It just seemed that people thought it's being a manufactured collectible, was, by itself, a bad thing. (in addition to other bad features).

Always somebody ready to shit on CDR - no, you're right, I don't want anything unique looking in my record collection, give me all the same glossy slop that comes with a dollar bin. So much better than something handmade.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

on a related note, do u think user:RoboticEmpire has sold any of his EUROPEAN IMPORTS or HOLIDAY GIVEAWAYS thru this website :?: :oops: :?: :oops: :?: :oops: