[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Arcade Fire, The Suburbs

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:42 pm 
Godzilla

Stream here:

"Month of May" and looks like they recently changed the stream to a youtube video and added a Youtube clip of the 2nd song "The Suburbs"

http://blogs.1077theend.com/aharms/2010 ... full-song/

Post subject: Re: new Arcade Fire songs
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =127118125

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:37 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Hated the chat interview on npr.

They come off super douchey. It's very dumb, the way they "dodge" decent questions from fans and interviewers.

Still excited about the record though

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:00 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Re: Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:31 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Stream the entire record @ http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128878239

Pitchfork gives it Best New Music

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14516-the-suburbs/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:07 am 
Godzilla

Best New Music...so, they gave it like a 5.9?

Apart from the Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes-Eddie and the Cruisers-Jersey vibe already firmly established by Arcade Fire, Suburbs sounds more like Meatloaf and the Cure meet Roy Orbison and Wilco, perhaps (or whatever; like that makes sense). Twenty-five years ago this would've been like getting excited about Def Leppard. My sister did ("Pour some sugar on me, dude! Rock and roll! Smoke a bowl!"). That deserves at least a 6.0.

"Modern Man" is perhaps the ballsiest remake of "Jessie's Girl" in recent memory, but, it falls shy of reaching the dramatic heights and emotional exuberance of Rick Springfield's most notable, catchy melodies. It actually recalls the melody of "Lawyers in Love" too, but that song had a lot more to say. "Rococo" could be a failed Joe Strummer experiment with Asia or Men at Work during a regrettable bender with the wrong crowd. It does contain the record's best line though, "Oh my God, what is that horrible song they're playing?" Actually, that's giving it way too much credit. Strummer would have been a hell of a lot more interesting and less listenable than this fey crap. It could just be a bad song. My brother spent some time growing up in the Dayton-Springfield area. I bet he'd just call it "gay" (and not in the homosexual sense, so, quit judging non-Dayton-Springfielders). "Empty Room" gives you the sense that there is potential for this band. It's when Arcade Fire embraces their moodiness to create a Yo La Tengo, movie-like soundtrack aural vibe and get the fu#$ off of Jersey Shore that they hit their mark.

The rest of this sh#$ flat out suggs. If you enjoy the worst white-funk that Spoon has to offer, you might be able to stomach "We Used to Wait". "Sprawl I" is as ovewrought and full of margarine as Nick Cave . Yes, now it can be pondered: Is Nick Cave one of the ten most over-rated singer-songwriters of the past 20 or 30 years? Probably. What a fruitless, epic bore. "Sprawl II" sounds like Bjork's remake of Blondie's "Heart of Glass". Not bad; maybe the most listenable track.

Arcade Fire should probably just score soundtracks. There's a future in that: more mood and presence with the music and less interference from whitebread vocal performances and pandering lyrical shite on a road to nowhere. It's all they got and that's not so bad.

I give it a 6.0.

-Dickfork

Last edited by thefiercelime on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:42 am 
King Ghidorah

I really want to get in a discussion with Win Butler. I can live without listening to another Arcade Fire album.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 am 
King Ghidorah

Jessie's Girl is exactly what the Arcade fire sound like to me. Been trying to figure that out. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

onsale for $3.99 @ Amazon MP3 http://amzn.to/bnuSqU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 pm 
Snarf

I can't decide if I hate the whole album, or the entire band now. It's hard to top their first album, and every song on this one sounds rushed and imperfect. I've been a long-time fan, and was excited when the singles started dripping out. I'm so disappointed by the outcome. It is however exactly what I expected. The same thing. I guess that their not into making new sounds and feelings anymore.

I am not white. I am not an Atheist. I am not straight. I am not a man. I am not tall. I am not poor. I am not a democrat. I am not an Ohioan. I am not an American. I am not yours to keep. I am human, and so are you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

#1 album in the country

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:05 pm 
Snarf

I think musically they do some cool stuff but he says "suburbs" in way too many songs and the lyrics on the whole are pretty disappointing.

If you didn't see it they did a whole "Unstaged" thing on Youtube which is directed by Terry Gilliam and is kind of cool but they performances are pretty weak imo.