[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Munkford & Sonz

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Munkford & Sonz
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:06 am 
Jet Jaguar

I'm curious for opinions about this band. They just played in CBus (right?) and from what I read on the internet, everybody says that they are "incredible" live. Goddamn transcendent. People were paying in the range of $80 a ticket to get into their show. I've never even heard of them until recently, but I don't hear about a lot of shit, so that's not unusual.

It seems like so many bands that are super popular overnight with the hipster-crowd, seem to come outta nowhere. Where do people find out about these bands (or specifically this band, M&S)? Is it Pitchfork? What? How does everyone end up hearing about these bands. Is it word of mouth? Some secret hipster internet radio station?

I did find something to read online about Mumford&sons. I have not been able to hear their music yet. Sounds like they are a kinda folky band. Do you like them? DO you know someone who does? What makes them so fuckin' awesome that chaps will fork over $80 to see 'em on a week night.

Those same motherfuckers should be paying the Kyle Sowashes to get their faces rocked instead.

Last edited by trebletron on Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Munkford & Sonz
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 am 
King Ghidorah

This band is by far the worst new band I have heard in 2010.
Shame on everyone who has made them popular.
It is like Flogging Molly meets the Decemberists.
A fifth gate in hell, :evil:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:58 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:13 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:27 am 
Jet Jaguar

Pitchfork 2.1? That's strange. I thought that PF was a bastion of cool credibility. Is there a backlash? Geeze, nobody tells me anything. Okay, they're awesome. Do they sing a lot of harmonies that are all in tune and shit? What was that other band recently that seemed to come out of nowhere and be super popular with the in-crowd, but sang winpy folk music. Was it Fleet Foxes? Not that wimpy folk music is always bad. I love it. But there WERE on Sub Pop and maybe that is why they were so hip.

Back to M&S. Is it the songwriting? Is their song really, really good? Don't they have a single about a bear in a cave or something?

And just so I understand the implication here...If you are Christian a band (sorta at least), then Jesus says it's okay to drop large to see you play instead of sending that money to skinny kids in Africa?

Oil spill? I shaved all of my dogs and sent their hair to the gulf to soak that shit up. That's how I fight N. Korean aggression.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:47 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 pm 
Mechagodzilla

I don't think these guys are linked to the Christian music marketing machine, and they're not a product of Pitchfork hype either. They seem to be an honest-to-god grassroots sensation. Teens and college kids I know were in love with this band before I had ever heard of them -- the same kids who got into MGMT and Passion Pit months after early adopter types like bloggers, hipsters and music critics. I really can't explain how Mumford took off so fast.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:31 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I don't think it's the Christian thing, either. They were already pretty big in the UK last fall/winter.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:16 pm 
King Ghidorah

anthemic chorus+lame+ironic facial hair+lyrics from daily affirmations books = $$$$$$

see gaslight anthem, afi, gogol bordello(why are they in that no wave doc saying they are better than all other NYC bands?) Hold Steady, etc etc

also fuck the Arcade Fire while I am on this topic :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:24 pm 
Mechagodzilla

The Wex was genius for bringing this in though because I assure you 90 percent of the audience had never been to a show there before.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:26 pm 
King Ghidorah

CD101's been spinning the shit out of their single.
It's pretty good. It's not as far leaning to the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" stuff as say, Nelsonville music fest, but I think one of the reasons they stand out a bit is the fact that they're English. That and they have at least one standout radio hit.

Take The Avett Brothers, the Prodigals and the word "Fuck" and you're in the ballpark.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:00 pm 
Jet Jaguar

ftr - there was no ironic facial hair.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:38 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Mumford & Sons = The Avett Brothers + The Frames

First time at the Black Box, decent venue though a very tightly-run ship! My first thought was "Where is the beer?" My next thought was "Wow, I can actually hear The Middle East and people aren't talking through their set." My third thought was "This is what it must have been like to see Belle & Sebastian 15 years ago."

I enjoyed Mumford & Sons set. The songs kinda sounded the same to me after a while but it wasn't enough to make me wonder how soon they'd be finished. I've never been to the Nelsonville Festival but I bet they'd be a huge hit there.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:10 am 
Godzilla

more like dumford & sons!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:07 am 
Jet Jaguar

Sanford and Sons actually doesn't sound bad. Not rock music, maybe folk rock? I should try harder to actually find & listen to that song about a lion in a cave or whatever.
and
Twighlightman- But, I like Arcade Fire and the Decemberists. And Kick Ass was a good movie! Well, there's that.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:28 am 
King Ghidorah

this guy is as whiny as chris martin.
Little Lion Man is ok, but the rest of the album is a real snooze-fest.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm 
Godzilla

I think their CD is great. Had to miss the live show though.