[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - The STOOGES/RAW POWER-deluxe ed 4/27/2010

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The STOOGES/RAW POWER-deluxe ed 4/27/2010
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:59 pm 
Snarf

The long out-of-print original David Bowie mix of the album, newly-remastered for maximum impact!

“Georgia Peaches,” an 8-song, one-hour performance at Atlanta’s notorious rock club Richards in October 1973

A full disc of Rarities, Outtakes, & Alternates from the Raw Power Era.
48 page softcover book with essays by Henry Rollins, Brian J. Bowe and Kris Needs + testimonials by Tom Morello, Lou Reed, Cheetah Chrome, Jim Reid, Perry Farrell, Hugo Burnham and more.

A TON of previously unseen Raw Power-era shots.

5 exquisite 5x7-inch prints, suitable for framing.

Japanese pic-sleeve 45 single repro: “Raw Power b/w “Search And Destroy”

The “Making of Raw Power” documentary by Morgan Neville featuring NEW interviews with Iggy Pop, James Williamson, Scott Asheton, Mike Watt, Johnny Marr, and Henry Rollins

Live performance footage of James Williamson’s first reunion gig with Iggy and the Stooges – after 35 years! – shot at Festival Planeta Terra, São Paulo, Brazil, November 2009.

Post subject: Re: The STOOGES/RAW POWER-deluxe ed 4/27/2010
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:17 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:40 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:16 am 
Mechagodzilla

when r u goin g to revoew blk sbth?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:28 am 
King Ghidorah

All of this stuff is out there on LP's. None of it is too rare or expensive. So, I'm assuming what's really gonna sell it is the Tom Morello and Perry Farrell testamonials and the exclusive Henry Rollins interview footage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:21 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Some of the tracks on the Iggy remix sound re-recorded to me. "Gimme Danger", for one. Unless there were other tracks available that weren't used in the original mix. How does it go from a fade to a cold ending??? Is it even "the Stooges" playing on the track? I like some aspects of the remix, but the original mix is better in some ways. I used to think the muddy sound was caused by everyone bein' on 'ludes when they mixed it 'cause it was the seventies maan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:25 pm 
Mechagodzilla

See, I listened to the Iggy remix first so I think it rules hard. An album called "Raw Power" should be abrasive like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:57 pm 
King Ghidorah

i consider the iggy mix the real one... and the better one.
it's his damn music and that's the way he had wanted it to sound.. over the top in your fuck face mother fuckin power. it rocks waaaay harder/better than that sissy stardust mix.

"My brother's Municipal League baseball team is named the Stepdads. Seeing as none of the guys on the team are actual stepdads, I inquired about the name. He explained, "Cuz we beat you, and you hate us."
-unknown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:54 am 
Jet Jaguar

If you haven't heard Babes In Arms, the ROIR tape (and now CD) put together by Wayne Kramer, it's well worth it. Alternate versions of songs. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:00 am 
Godzilla

actually, that shitty cassette was more of my youth than back in the usa or high times proper . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am 
Godzilla

many an unsuspecting pizza patron nearly had their ears blown out when anything would roll of Raw Power on the ravari jukebox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:53 pm 
Mechagodzilla

http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/

I've been living with and playing Iggy and the Stooges' Raw Power since I was thirteen, thirty eight years ago. Every nuance is seared onto my hardrive. I've heard every outtake, alternate mix, live tape, and rehearal that's ever made it to tape, wax or cd. At age fourteen I ran away from home and hitchhiked over six hundred miles to see them play at Richard's in Atlanta. I still get excited when I hear it, even if it's on a TV commercial.
So here I sit, with an advanced copy of Sony's latest attempt to pry every last buck out of the mighty Stooges moniker, a three CD + one "The Making Of Raw Power" DVD (which isn't in my package as it's not done yet) Raw Power: Deluxe Edition. It has no cover or artwork yet, just three CD's with the track listings on stickers on the back and a bunch of press releases.
I have no idea what Sony plans to charge for such an item, but here's what you get. One disc of the original "David Bowie"mix of Raw Power. On live disc recorded at Richard's in Atlanta in the fall of '73, probably the best sounding live Stooges recordings to surface. A slew of "bonus studio tracks", some of which have been out before, and a few that will be new to everyone. The three tunes never heard before are-- Doojiman, I'm Hungry, and Hey Peter. There's also an alternate take of I Got A Right, different from the old Siamese 45, I'm Sick Of You (same as the Bomp EP), alternate mixes of Shake Appeal and Death trip (from "recently discovered alternate mix reels"), and the Japanese 45 mixes of Raw Power and Search & Destroy, oh yeah, there's two tracks from Iggy's godawful 1997 re-mix. Shall I go into more detail? Either you could care less and have already stopped reading this, or you need to know exactly what this stuff is, so here goes.
A few things I should get out of the way first. I'm not one to argue Funhouse versus Raw Power, Ron Asheton versus James Williamson. I love 'em both, they're very different records, and they were very different guitar players. Anyone who has made it through the entire Funhouse Sessions box (which means mentally you're as far gone as me, perhaps you should seek professional help) has to admit, that on Funhouse, the Stooges picked the best of what they had, the takes they used were pretty much the peak of their abilities at the time. It's fun to hear all the outtakes and variations, but they knew when they had nailed a tune. Oddly enough, on the box you never get to hear the final versions that were on the LP with Ron's rhythm guitar overdubs.
Raw Power has always been problematic as a production since half the band-- drummer Scott Asheton and bass player (who had been the guitarist on the Stooges first album and Funhhouse, do I have to explain all this?) Ron Asheton were basically mixed off the record, they're barely audible. Either they were mixed off, or their parts never made it to tape. Accusations have flown for years as to who is to blame. One version says that they recorded on a sixteen track machine and left thirteen tracks empty, I find this hard to believe, no engineer would make such a bonehead error.
When it came time to re-mix the thing in 1996, Iggy Pop simply made his vocals louder, took the effects off the guitar parts and pushed the nobs into the red creating an ugly digital distortion, very different from analog distortion, since digital doesn't decay when the signal returns. Personally, I think the vocals and guitars were fine on the original Bowie mix, all that it needed was for the drums and bass to re-appear. I hated Iggy's re-mix, and when I spoke to Ron Asheton about it in 2001 he agreed it was awful and the Bowie mix sounded brilliant in comparison. Is anyone still reading?
I'm resigned to the fact that we'll never hear the bass and drums on Raw Power. I've given up hope. I have pledged to simply enjoy it for what it is, one of the greatest rock'n'roll albums ever made. So as far as the three cd's worth of music here's what you get for your money:
One CD of the Bowie mix of Raw Power, re-mastered, it sounds as good as it's going to sound. The belch before the song Raw Power which was edited out of the first CD version has been restored. Gotta have the belch. One live CD recorded at Richard's in Atlanta, the fall of '73. It's the best sounding live document of the (pre-reformation) Stooges I've heard and captures them on a white hot night. I was there. The set list from '73 was four tunes from Raw Power-- Raw Power, Gimme Danger, Search & Destroy, and I Need Somebody, along with newer tunes-- Head On, Heavy Liquid, Cock In My Pocket, and Open Up and Bleed. If you're a fan you've heard these tunes on various bootlegs. There's plenty of Iggy's bizarre between song patter, some of it confrontational, but the audience this time is on Iggy's side, unlike the other (sort of) official released live album Metallic K.O. where the audience is there for a fight. Keep in mind this post-Raw Power tour was the begining of Iggy's season in hell. He'd end up a year or so later, homeless, wandering the streets of Hollywood, strung out and near total collapse before checking himself into a mental hospital, the first step in an amazing story of survival and eventually triumph.
Now what about those outtakes on disc three? None of them sound like finished tunes. Doojiman is a wordless jam, Iggy making jungle noises while James Williamson and Scott Asheton jam on simple riff. I'm Hungry is an early version of Penetration, different lyrics, it's obvious the song has yet to jell, but the Stooges hammer out the riff for nearly four minutes as Iggy improvises over it. Hey Peter is another loose jam, a riff and some off the cuff banter suffice as lyrics, it's unlike anything else they recorded at this period. In fact, it's the closest they come to sounding like a "normal" rock band. Nitebob who worked for the Stooges during that time said it reminded him of early Aerosmith, I have to agree. The Japanese 45 rpm versions of Raw Power and Search and Destroy, which are on the CD's I have but will only appear on a bonus 45 on the final package are cool to have, but I don't hear a whole lot of difference. In fact, the Japanese 45 sounds pretty much just like the American 45 (the b-side of which was an edited version of Penetration, not included here). Which doesn't sound all that different from the album. Maybe it's my tinnitus, but the differences are fairly negligible. There's two songs from Iggy's re-mix-- Gimme Danger and You're Pretty Face Is Going To Hell, I'm not sure why they're here. As mentioned earlier, I Got A Right is an earlier sounding version that the old Siamese 45, and a great, primitive version at that. I'm Sick Of You is the same take used on the old Bomp EP. Shake Appeal and Death Trip are "alternate mix versions from recently discovered alternate mix reels". Yet more mixes and still not much bass guitar or drums, but still fun to hear. Since these advanced CD's are digitally watermarked I can't post any tunes for you without getting somebody in trouble, sorry, you'll just have to wait to hear 'em. The final package will also have the documentary DVD, I can't tell you much about it, but there's not a lot of footage of the Stooges, I hope they use as much as they can find.
So there you go, you either love the Stooges and are going to buy this sucker (I know I will, even though I have the advanced promo package), or you don't care and have stopped reading in the first paragraph. As Easter approaches, the thought in my mind is that Jesus loves the Stooges, and all they stand for. RIP: Ron Asheton, Dave Alexander, Tommy "Zeke" Zettner, and
Bill Cheetam.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:20 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Sovine, thanks for explaining all this. I will have to look for this Raw Power package. <Urrrp!>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:45 pm 
Mechagodzilla

More from The Hound on the Stooges:

We went over to Danny Fields apartment to watch the Stooges get inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Blowhards, a few thoughts on the subject:
* It was nice that Iggy gave a shout out to Danny Fields (the cheap pricks wouldn't give Danny a free invite). Danny had to tell Iggy before hand not to mention his last name as whenever he gets mentioned in full, his name gets beeped out. I guess somebody up there doesn't like him.
Proof positive he's the coolest guy in the world.
* It was very cool that all four dead Stooges were mentioned-- Ron Asheton, Dave Alexander, Tommy "Zeke" Zettner and Bill Cheetam.
* It was also nice to that the little twerp doing the inducting gave a shout out to Please Kill Me (Gillian McCain & Legs McNeil, Grove Press, 1996), still the book with the best Stooges stories.
* They sounded fantastic! It was a first for that particular line-up-- Scott Thurston was back in the piano slot for the night, I don't think he's ever been onstage with Scott McKay and Mike Watt before. I've never heard Williamson play I Wanna Be Your Dog before, and he did a fantastic job on it, a real tribute to Ron Asheton's style.
* There was one short piece of film footage in the introductory montage I don't think I've ever seen before. I hope it's included in its entirety on the "Making Of Raw Power" DVD that comes with the Raw Power Deluxe box (release date: April 15th). You can read my thoughts on the Raw Power box from last months entry here.
* More Stooges rarities on the way. Rhino Handmade has the first Stooges LP with more alternate takes and the never heard before tune Asthma Attack on its release schedule. Twenty six tracks in all! Can't wait!
* Write to Rhino Handmade and demand they release the Stooges Live at Ugano's tape that they purchased last year!
* I loved Iggy's comments to the audience! What a dead assed, lame crowd that was.
* The first half hour of the show was taken up by a band called Phish, whom I've never heard before. They are without a doubt the worst and ugliest excuse for a rock band I've ever seen.
I wanted Rock Action to push that singer's smarmy, chinless, face through a glass door!
* If you've been hiding under a rock, the 4 CD set You Want My Action, which consists of four live sets of the late '71 Stooges line up (Iggy, the Asheton brothers, James Williamson and Jimmy Recca) is a must have, even though the sound quality isn't so great. It's still a great package done by a class label, and the music is fantastic, including many tunes never heard before in any form.
* Iggy should run for president.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am 
King Ghidorah

Eric Davidson's interview with James Williamson:
http://www.agitreader.com/features/iggy ... 03.22.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:29 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm 
Mechagodzilla