[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Black Sabbath

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What's your favorite Sabbath?
Black Sabbath 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Paranoid 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Master Of Reality 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Volume 4 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Sabotage 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Technical Ecstasy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Never Say Die! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Black Sabbath
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 pm 
Godzilla

The conversation is lacking lately. Everyone likes Black Sabbath. What's yr favorite Sabbath & why? Ozzy era only.

Mine is Volume 4. Supernaut, Snowblind, Wheels Of Confusion are all tops. The only thing that I don't like about this record is that F/X could've had a better title. Even Changes, one of my least favorite Sabbath songs, sounds good in the context of the record.

Your turn.

Post subject: Re: Black Sabbath
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:35 am 
Godzilla

We Sold Our Souls For Rock & Roll

A dubbed cassette of this album made the rounds when I was in the 6th grade, & turned me on to a whole other world beyond what was on the radio. I know it's basically a greatest hits album, but they're all winners. I listened to this tape so much that it makes the albums that the songs were pulled from seem out of sequence.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:53 am 
King Ghidorah

Master of Reality. Which happens to be the first christian rock album.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 am 
King Ghidorah

fuck you, precious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:33 am 
King Ghidorah

fuck you, precious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:40 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:10 pm 
Godzilla

Paranoid. Tiger Yang hit the nail on the head about side 2.

I practically wore the grooves on that record through to the other side when I was a kid.

Hand Of Doom kicks ass because it's so quiet at the beginning and makes you turn up the volume, then when it finally kicks in, it's REALLY LOUD. I think it might be one of the first rock songs to have that big of a dynamic change mid song.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 pm 
King Ghidorah

fuck you, precious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:40 pm 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:03 pm 
Godzilla

the first 6 ALL have songs that blow my mind, and ALL have songs that bore the pants off me. so it's really hard for me to pick a "best"

but m.o.r. has a special spot in my heart. as a kid, i never smoked dope at all. i was the teen who drove all my stoner friends around. in fact, i did no drugs til i dropped a butt-ton of acid on my 19th birthday.

when i was 23, i was living with a stripper and we'd just taken some ecstasy (mmmm...early 90's X!!!) and while her's was working like gangbusters, my hit was a dud. so she told me "listen, i got tipped a joint at work today, and i know that pot sometimes will help acid to kick in a little faster. do you want to try smoking the joint to see if it'll help your X?"

i'd never even smoked a cigarette, never wanted to "smoke" anything, but i wasn't about to miss out on this ecstasy if i could help it. so i smoked the whole joint alone. the x never did kick in.

but the next day i went out and bought a bag, a bowl, and black sabbath's master of reality.
i've been a daily stoner since . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:10 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:19 pm 
Godzilla

Post of the 90's!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:43 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Oh holy crap here we go. My Favoritests bandz evarr

I voted for Vol.4, because I feel as though this album would mock the face of god and stop the time space continium, if not for the mega-crappy ballad that shall go unamed. F/X is a minute of retardation too, (Holy Shit! Pick Scrapes and Delay! Wow!) Other than that, it is rock perfection.

Sabotage is great as well. It has an icy, weird, coming down off of a lot of drugs vibe. "hole in the sky", "symptom of the universe", "meglomania", and "the writ" are all great tracks.

The three first albums are classics as well. I love the debut, especially the way it sounds, Paranoid and Master of Ravioli will probably battle for first place in this poll for obvious reasons. But WTF is up with the cover of "Paranoid"? I never understood it.
They are both spectacular records. I like the way Master is mixed, the only high end that is there is tape hiss. And the overdubbed rototoms on "children of the grave" are awesome! And Pitbulls is totally right, the track "After Forever" is totally christian rock.

I also like Technical Ecstasy. It has some great tracks. "Rock N Roll Doctor", "Gypsy", and "Dirty Women", are all great tunes. My friends used to hide this tape from me so they didn't have to hear it. You could say it's a guilty pleasure of mine. "Its Alright" is why you don't let drummers do too much stuff. It is a pile off poopoo.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is awesome, especially the sweet cover art. It sure as hell beats the uber-awesomeness of the Saboatge cover, where Bill Ward is wearing those sweet pants. I think Soundgarden based their whole carrer off of the bridge to "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath". "Who are you" is a sweet coked up synth ballad.

"never say die" is nothing to write home about. Its sounds poopy and is poopy. But I'll take it over a lot of other things.

Alright Im done I love Slack Babbath 4evar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:20 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I'm where I'm at today because of Ozzy's Blizzard of Oz album. I only listened to AM pop radio in the late '70s but when Ashley Ryder moved to town and told us about this guy that her older sister listened to, all the boys went out and bought Blizzard of Oz just so we could have something to talk to Ashley about.

I never really got into Sabbath until just a few years ago although I think I owned all the Ozzy-era cassettes thanks to a Gold Circle going out of business sale. I've recently been going back and listening to them all and I'm currently enthralled with Vol. 4, even "Changes".

Bad user experience alert: Did you ever hear the Cardigan's cover of "Changes"? They actually do a really great job of making it almost an alt.country sounding song. See for yourself .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:30 am 
Godzilla

My vote is Paranoid.

This CD is really good if old Sabbath fans are looking for something newer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:15 pm 
King Ghidorah

I voted Sabotage. Why? Because it is bad ass from front to back. Even the the weakest track (Am I Going Insane) is fucking awesome. Mainly because the laughter in the end. The Writ crushes all other metal songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

The first three are as perfect as records get. The next three aren't far behind.

MOR is their most innovative.
Paranoid is their most accessible.
S/T is probably my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:51 pm 
King Ghidorah

But Vol. 4 has "Supernaut" which I feel is Sabbath firing on all cylinders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 am 
King Ghidorah

Wheels Of Confusion and Behind The Sun fucking own the world btw. Just throwing that out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 am 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:49 am 
Mechagodzilla

While I was youtubing* Sabbath, I found this "wtf? awesome!" cover

*"youtubing" is totally a word, right?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:40 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I HAD to go with Vol 4. I've got the "Castle Remaster" of it. It fricken thunders out of my speakers but has a little more bite than Masters. I don't even mind some of the BS tracks on there. Most of them are just stretched out intros that got their own track title because the band found out they get paid more if there were more songs. They really aren't meant to stand as compositions on their own. But hell Under The Sun and Supernaut.

A close second for me is Masters, It's where Tony hit on the C# tuning that allowed for serious bad ass ownage after that. Into The Void might be the heaviest riff ever.

My third is probably actually Sabotage, Symptom of The Universe is just SO bad ass. My first band when I was 15 used to do an earth shattering (to us)/pitiful (to everybody else) version of that one.

BTW All Moving Parts Stand Still totaly redeems Technical Ecstacy.