[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - new Wilco album? Wilco (The Album), of course

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new Wilco album? Wilco (The Album), of course
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:26 pm 
Godzilla

. First track? Wilco the Song.

What's going on? Seriously.

Dig Me Out , and .

Post subject: Re: new Wilco album? Wilco (The Album), of course
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:20 pm 
Godzilla

I think that's hilarious.

Michael: "Could it be love?"
Gob: "I know what an erection feels like, Michael. No, it's the opposite -- it's like my heart is getting hard."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:01 pm 
Mechagodzilla

they played Wilco (the song) on the Colbert Report.

i thought it was pretty good, actually.

http://radioactivesox.tumblr.com/

"you can call me the nannerpus, nannerpus.
guess what? i love pancakes."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:15 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:03 pm 
Godzilla

I caught that, too. Good song.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 pm 
Snarf

According to Nels, the Album is more upbeat, similar to Heavy Metal Drummer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:06 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Ugh, really? I love Wilco, but that is my least favorite song (post AM, at least).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:16 am 
King Ghidorah

fuck you, precious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 pm 
Godzilla

I agree. A Ghost is Born never worked for me. I think it's the only weak Wilco record.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:19 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I can't wait for this album. The cover:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

stream it

http://www.wilcoworld.net/

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:53 am 
Godzilla

Love it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 pm 
Mothra

fuck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.
Disappeared is pretty rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 pm 
Jet Jaguar

yeah, listened to it twice. awesome. black bull nova is amazing.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:58 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

1.5 times through. I'm likin' it. but lets be real: some of this is damn near easy listening light rock (you and I).

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:02 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
Mothra

some of the lyrics are laughably bad, the tunes are mild at best and the sense of space in the recording that made early 00's wilco is completely dead.

whole thing is really weak.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:30 pm 
Jet Jaguar

yeah sorry dudes, it's over.
what's the point of surrounding himself with art-rock allstars if he's just gonna make 'em play weather channel music?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:44 pm 
Godzilla

(past) time for an uncle tupelo reunion.

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:43 am 
Mothra

Through a fellow Wilco aficionado – I was able to download the album after the whole streaming thing and give it further plays and some careful consideration. I think it is a pretty good album – not really blowing me away like Sky Blue Sky, Yankee, and even Ghost – But I have a major grievance about the album that I am having trouble getting past and was wondering of you guys were hearing it too….

Have you guys noticed that much of the album immolates other Wilco songs??? By that I mean – a lot of the album is rehashing previous album chords progressions, vocal melodies, phasing, and sometimes all aforementioned that at once.

For Example:
I’ll Fight – though a great song seems like a dressed up, upbeat retooling of “At Least That’s What You Said”

Wico (the song) – when Tweedy is singing “wilco – wilco – wilco – will love you” it is just the same phrasing and melody as “Misunderstood” where he’s saying “nothing – nothing – nothing – at all”

…there are even tracks on the new album that also bear the resemblance of “On and On” and I feel like “Bull Black Nova” is a 2009 version of “Kidsmoke” to a degree.

Don’t get me wrong – Wilco is one of my all-time favorites. They are so talented and I know personally have musically influenced me a lot - which is why these comparisons bother me. They are too good to be ripping off themselves.

I am not saying that the album is bad by any means and that the songs are verbatim. But the similarities are there and they (to me) are pretty apparent.

I wonder if it is deliberate. Jeff is such an asshole that he would make an album by using his previous songs as a spring board, rewrite them, and call it “Wilco (the Album). Almost like a Wilco doing Wilco type thing.

But that is also what is great about Jeff and Wilco – they really don’t give a fuck at all.

Just curious if you guys heard that too???

…and let the rebuttal post bashing begin!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 am 
Godzilla

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:29 pm 
Jet Jaguar

"i'll fight" is "on and on and on", same exact melody.

i never understood what people meant when they said wilco was boring, but after the past few albums i get it. very self-important, and not a hint of spontaneity or life on this new one or the one before it. radiohead sound like they're having more fun, and that's really saying something.