[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Jenny Lewis 6.6.09 @ Wexner Center

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jenny Lewis 6.6.09 @ Wexner Center
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:24 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I saw all of you there.

Great show. Jenny's got some PIPES. And her band is great.

loved the new stuff, loved the old stuff, loved the Rilo song, loved everything.

I liked the Sadies a lot but probably could have done with 2 less songs..

Post subject: Re: Jenny Lewis 6.6.09 @ Wexner Center
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:27 am 
Jet Jaguar

I'd heard of but never heard the Sadies before. Their guitars sounded great.

I knew Jenny Lewis could sing, but I didn't know she could sing like that. Wow, what a voice.
Also loved the way she alternated between playing sexy and fun and dorky and cool.

And those two multi-instrument girls in her band were amazing musicians and singers. Who are they?

Great show--probably my favorite of the year so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:46 pm 
Snarf

Yes, great show, amazing songwriter, singer, arrangements. I was impressed how attentive the audience was during the quiet songs. No jerks yelling "woo" after each verse. And those people who always ignore the song in lieu of their loud private conversation, only to applaud loudly at the end of the song did not show up. The Sadie's were great too, incredible guitar.

I hadn't been to the 'Black Box' before. Pro: much cleaner than the Newport. Con: no beer. Probably the two are related.

I could have done without the Acid Tongue promotional film, scene's of Zoe Deschenel looking adorable singing "oooohs", Jenny cruising around LA (or wherever) in her stretch limo. Just start the show a half hour early, or let the Sadie's sing a couple more songs.

And yes, as a senior representative, I would have liked a chair. My lower back was aching after 10 minutes (guess I need to do some sit-ups) and my feet were killing me halfway through Jenny's set.

Still, don't want to leave with a bad impression, it was worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:24 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I really enjoyed the show. I missed all but the last 5 minutes of the documentary so I can't really say much about it one way or another. The Sadies were very good and Jenny's voice sounded fantastic. The Wexner Center, regardless of whether it's Black Box, Performance Space, or full Mershon show, definitely has the best sound of any venue in town. I only have two gripes about the show. First, I hate it when artists wear their own shirts while performing. When Jenny came out wearing one of hers it made my cringe. Second, I really wanted to hear Run Devil Run/The Big Guns. Overall, it was a great show though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:49 pm 
Snarf

What was that story she told about a riot at a Newport Bright Eyes show, and Conor Oberst putting on am impromptu show on the roof of a van. When did that happen?

A riot at a Bright Eyes show?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:31 pm 
Mothra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:05 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

it was a newport show
i was there
i didnt go to the back alley to see the show/thievery but it was newport

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:27 pm 
Mechagodzilla

It was Newport. I was there to review it for The Dispatch so I went behind the bar to investigate why they stopped the show (never got a good answer on that) and ended up catching the impromptu performance. Not a huge Bright Eyes fan, but it was pretty cool to see something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Yeah, really great show, and ditto on the vocals. No idea she could sing like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 am 
King Ghidorah

So do all up-and-coming indie rock bands travel with $10,000 in a backpack or just ones signed to Saddle Creek? :P

I'd only seen Jenny previously a couple times with Rilo Kiley. So Saturday night was the first time I got to hear her sing through a superior sound system, and I was impressed.

Ditto on the wearing-your-own-shirt thing. What made it worse was Jonathan Rice was wearing one as well, contributing to the "look at us! we're a couple!" thing, which is also cringe-worthy.

The band was awesome, particular Farmer Dave Scher on lap steel and guitar and Barbara Gruska on drums. Gruska had an expression on her face throughout the show like she was playing her first big gig ever, and watching her doing the dueling drum battle at the end of the show with Danielle was a treat.

Yeah, the documentary was self-indulgent, but any chance I have to see Saint Elvis of Costello is worth an extra 30 minutes of standing.

Here's some snaps I took. I spied Sheena B shooting video of "Jack Killed Mom". Pester her with private messages until she uploads it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:18 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

when you're jenny lewis you can wear your own shirt and it be awesome

same rule applies to iron maiden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 am 
Jet Jaguar

Argh! It be awesome, indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:07 pm 
King Ghidorah

Fashion flaws aside this was a great show.

Jenny Lewis is a hottie, my wife has given me permission to make out with her if the opportunity ever arises. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 am 
I had to come out of hibernation to share my contrary opinion. Sorry in advance.

Bummer. If I had paid to get in I'd be way more down. (Thanks Robert/Kim)

I really like Jenny and have admired her since she was in that bad movie with Fred Savage
but that show bummed me out. The sound was GREAT (Wex being the only place I'll even go to see a show anymore)
and yes, Jenny can sing but she can also ham/drama to no end, and that = pure annoyance.
You can tell she loves herself more than anyone else ever will and that is unattractive.
And the shirts: It's NOT ok. Not for her or her mongoloid boyfriend/producer/songwriter/troublemaker.
Her face is on the shirt. With the stupid hat. Come on. Really?

Acid Tongue is two steps back from Rabbit Fur Coat and miles away from the raw ore that the old Rilo Kiley stuff was.
The album is a perfect example of how bad songs can't be saved. Having guest appearances from some of the best in
the biz doesn't even help.

That said, I LOVED The Sadies and so that made it all better. Lose one, gain one.
They could've played all night and I would've stayed to hear it.
Very good songs, sound, great guitar playing, authentic harking back to gold old days.

OK, back to my slumber. I'll wake up again after the Mystic Valley Band show...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm 
Godzilla

I really did not like the Sadies. They played for waaaay too long and it sounded like they were scoring a '60s surfing movie.

Jenny Lewis was great, everything sounded very good. I bailed about five songs in and went out in to the seats. I could still hear everything wonderfully and I had a seat, so I was a happy camper.

I couldn't see Jenny from where I was standing or sitting so I didn't realize she was wearing her own shirt. Maybe it was laundry day on the tour bus.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:03 pm 
Mothra

I agree w/ the sadies playing alittle too long. I thought they sounded great though. im pretty sure the whole t-shirt thing was totally tongue-in-cheek. i was just happy to get last min tix :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 am 
I don't know. I'm just not that into it anymore. My loss I guess.

But I still think it's lame to wear your own band shirt at a show.

Also, she had the Mom jeans on. Mom jeans.

See, those kinda things would get a pass from me when I liked the songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:11 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:54 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:00 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Whatever floats your boat, bair_ohio...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:43 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 pm 
Mechagodzilla

She was killing it yesterday at Bonnaroo. I was bummed I had to leave if I wanted to make it to Wilco.