C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: eMusic now with Sony back catalog
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/01/techn ... ml?_r=1&em

Quote:
In another example of struggling major music labels and Internet services finding common ground, Sony Music Entertainment has agreed to make its back catalog of songs available on eMusic, one of the largest music retailers on the Web

Post subject: Re: eMusic now with Sony back catalog
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:55 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Oh wait. just checked my emusic account. Not so awesome:

Quote:
Effective Jul 13, 2009, your plan will change to the new eMusic Basic plan which gives you 30 downloads for $11.99 every 30 days.

We're sorry that we've had to retire your current plan, but we're confident that you'll find even more music to love among the many new additions to the music catalog. And of course, you can always choose a different plan by visiting the Plan Options page within Your Account.

G'bye.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:04 pm 
Godzilla

groundrules wrote:
Oh wait. just checked my emusic account. Not so awesome:

Quote:
Effective Jul 13, 2009, your plan will change to the new eMusic Basic plan which gives you 30 downloads for $11.99 every 30 days.

We're sorry that we've had to retire your current plan, but we're confident that you'll find even more music to love among the many new additions to the music catalog. And of course, you can always choose a different plan by visiting the Plan Options page within Your Account.

G'bye.

i haven't used emusic in a while. what was your old plan? 11.99 for 30 downloads sounds pretty crappy though.

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:29 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Yeah, I was using the almost-completely-ridiculous 200 downloads for $49.99/month ($.25 per song) for the last couple months, but have now been changed to 100 downloads for $40.99/month ($.41 per song). 100 now seems to be the max on downloads per month on their new plan (it was 300), and $.41 is now the lowest price per download. Also, they seem to have gotten rid of the old annual subscription plans that could save you more money if you paid upfront for a year.

This sucks. Still mulling over whether I'm going to cancel my subscription. Paying more so that some other people can buy the Sony back catalog is lame. They should offer an option of whether you want access to the Sony songs or not.

EDIT: This is nice:

Quote:
New album pricing

Ever hesitate to download an album comprised of many tracks because it'd eat up so many credits? Album pricing will allow you to download selected albums of 12 or more tracks for the price of 12 downloads. The change will be a boon to fans of classical music and two-minute thrash-masters alike.

I'll have to crunch the numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Too bad they are changing their plans. I think they just lost another subscriber. That makes me sad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

analysis of this deal from my bro

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_ ... 2f5a38e2dd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:04 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

More majors added:

Warner Bros., Elektra, Rhino, and Atlantic LINK

No word yet on whether or not they'll jack my rates again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I have never liked emusic. Especially after soulseek came into my life...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

groundrules wrote:
More majors added:

Warner Bros., Elektra, Rhino, and Atlantic LINK

No word yet on whether or not they'll jack my rates again.

Yeah, this addition is pretty awesome. This may only interest me on this board, but I'm finding that the big Atlantic Jazz artists' double-disc greatest hits albums are selling for 12 credits, so that's quite the deal.

Yeah, I don't see any sign YET of another price jump, so this looks good right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:02 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

dan blocker wrote:

Yeah, this addition is pretty awesome. This may only interest me on this board, but I'm finding that the big Atlantic Jazz artists' double-disc greatest hits albums are selling for 12 credits, so that's quite the deal.

Yeah, I don't see any sign YET of another price jump, so this looks good right now.

agreed. some of the jazz and R&B stuff is killer. I was really starting to think the well had run dry, as I was finding myself kind of struggling to find a use for 30 DLs a month. this should keep me busy until june or so.

Post subject: RE: An important message about your eMusic Membership
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Quote:
Hello Andrew,

Mark your calendars because in November 2010, eMusic is adding more than 250,000 tracks from Universal Music Group to its catalog, the single largest addition ever!

This addition comes as part of our mission to offer members a rich catalog that is both deep and broad, with every day low prices that make music discovery as affordable as it is rewarding.

In order to continue to grow our catalog and to insure a sustainable business in the long-term, we need more flexible pricing. So we are changing from a credit-per-track system to currency pricing. Starting in November, you'll see tracks and albums priced in dollars and cents instead of credits.

Your membership will continue just as it is today, and your monthly payments will not change. While some popular tracks will be more expensive, members will still enjoy savings of 20% - 50% compared to iTunes a la carte prices.

For more details about these changes, including the new catalog, new currency pricing, and how this affects your account, please read the full announcement.

By growing our catalog, our aim is to also grow our member base, which in turn will help fund improvements to the service. We're already working on a music locker, which should allow you to stream your music from any desktop or mobile device, and new social features to better connect you with other members.

We also want to assure you that the heart of eMusic is not changing. Our approach will remain proudly, stubbornly idiosyncratic - we'll continue to champion music that represents clear artistic vision and quite simply, records that we find inspiring, whether by legends or upstarts.

For questions about your account, please send email to comments@emusic.com. To provide general feedback about this change, please complete our Member Survey.

Sincerely,
Your Friends at eMusic

We'll have to see how this shakes out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Quote:
As we prepare for the largest catalog addition ever to eMusic - 250,000 new tracks! - we want to be up front with our loyal indie fans and provide advance notice that music from Domino, Merge and the Beggars Group family of labels will no longer be available on eMusic as of Nov. 18, 2010 pending further discussions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 am 
King Ghidorah

Joelseph wrote:
Quote:
As we prepare for the largest catalog addition ever to eMusic - 250,000 new tracks! - we want to be up front with our loyal indie fans and provide advance notice that music from Domino, Merge and the Beggars Group family of labels will no longer be available on eMusic as of Nov. 18, 2010 pending further discussions.

So in other words: everything that made them stand out compared to other music services will be completely gone soon. If they have not lost their base yet, they will do everything in their power lose it in the coming months.

I hope the trade-off is worth it. I can't see how they will be anything other than a struggling also-ran in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:10 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Just canceled my emusic account today. No longer worth the money for the selection. They may have been able to trick me into staying if they kept the credit system, because that never felt like real money, but now that each album has a (seemingly random) dollar value...

And Amazon keeps putting albums I want on sale for 3.99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:31 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Joelseph wrote:
Just canceled my emusic account today. No longer worth the money for the selection. They may have been able to trick me into staying if they kept the credit system, because that never felt like real money, but now that each album has a (seemingly random) dollar value...

yes. this. same here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:09 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

groundrules wrote:
Joelseph wrote:

yes. this. same here.

Quitters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm 
Godzilla

i cancelled my membership this month too

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm 
Snarf

Get three downloads a week (to keep) from Sony's catalog through the Grandview Library.