[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - SXSW 2009

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SXSW 2009
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

day 0 http://www.donewaiting.com/2009/03/18/s ... jackalope/

Post subject: Re: SXSW 2009
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:56 am 
Godzilla

My 1 recommendation for people at SXSW since the odds of him ever coming around here are next to nothing...

Aaron Blount (formerly of knife in the water)

Mar 18 2009 1:00A
SXSW Emo’s Jr., W/KID CONGO POWERS Austin
Mar 19 2009 8:00P
LAMBERT’S SXSW 8PM

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 pm 
Godzilla

I've seen Kid Congo a bunch of times and he's always rad and usually plays at least 1 or 2 Gun Club songs. I'd be willing to bet he'll be playing some Cramps songs right now too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 am 
Godzilla

if you guys see Art Alexakis of Everclear...

try to get your picture taken with him...

then make that picture your avatar...

that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 am 
Godzilla

Warren Ellis: I have a soft spot for it. It's the compost bin at the end of my garden. And there's plenty of room in there for it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:39 am 
King Ghidorah

I need to recharge the local rock and pop batteries. I'm open to any ideas from scenesters as to who I should have as guests on the second quarter of '09.

Until then, I offer this feeble attempt to ride the coattails of South by Southwest. If you follow the link, it may also be your first visit to the lovely WCRS website, as this mp3 is hosted there:

Play List:
Black Owls - Mrs. Someday
Rev KM Williams & The Amazing - Tell The Truth
Rachel Goodrich - Little Brass Bear
Scram C Baby - King Bolo
Say Hi - Northwestern Girls
Ratas del Vaticano - Tema de las ratas
Pretty & Nice - Tora Tora Tora
Pre - Popping Showers
BO-PEEP - B-Level Motion
Ponytail - Sky Drool
Plouen Catximbes - La Blanca
Micachu - Golden Phone
Pato Fu - Nada Original
Peelander-Z - Ninja-High Schooool
Bad Sports - All The Time
Bam Bam - Por favor no vuelvas a nacer
Black Lips - O Katrina!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:51 pm 
King Ghidorah

Our coverage is in full-effect, check it out: http://agitreader.com/agitee/index.php/site/sxsw/

And yeah, A Touch of Someone Else's Class is a great record.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:00 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:06 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Tuesday recap: http://atomicned.com/?p=309
Wednesday recap: http://atomicned.com/?p=310

Today was low-key cuz Wednesday was high-key. Only saw 2 bands at day parties today, only drank 1 beer. Spent most of the day hanging out with the Meat Puppets which was both boring and fascinating. Screw the Osbournes, the Kirkwood brothers need their own reality show on MTV.

Strummy, haven't run into Art yet but if I do, guarantee I'll get a photo. In the meantime ....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:54 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:00 pm 
Godzilla

uncle fester digs nick cave?!?!?

cool.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:16 am 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:59 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:07 am 
King Ghidorah

SXSW REVIEW

VALIENT THORR
WED. 3/18/09
EMO'S ANNEX
John Zalahway, Senior writer
www.livedaily.com

Valient Thorr's Wednesday night performance at Emo's Annex was one big blur of hair, denim, sweat and metal--which, in the wrong hands, could have been a disaster.

The quintet of long-haired, long-bearded, tight-jeans-and-denim-vest-wearing rockers look out of place in 2009, particularly frontman Valient Himself (all of the band members go by aliases). Shirtless, drenched in sweat, clad in black jeans; electric-blue, calf-high boxer's boots; and a white-leather belt with a stainless-steel, grim-reaper belt buckle (the pointed hood of which jutted up into a hairy, sweaty, flabby belly that drooped over the waist of his pants), he could easily be mistaken on the street for a hard-drinking lumberjack.

But while the group's hirsute appearance and old-school metal delivery--complete with lots and lots (and lots) of head-banging--might be its most noticeable attributes, they aren't its most noteworthy; that distinction goes to the perfect mix of tongue-in-cheek self-aggrandizement and honest-to-goodness metal chops.

Valient Himself has a charisma that belies his crusty appearance. Between songs, he kept the crowd jacked up with anti-establishment screeds and let's-all-party invocations. Several times, he struck a body-builder's pose, showing off skinny, flabby arms that appeared to be almost devoid of muscle tissue--which was exactly why he was doing it: for the laugh.

And that is Mr. Himself's strength: he knows there is fun to be poked at his group's throwback, Motorhead-meets-ZZ Top appearance and metal-god posturing, so he leverages it to his advantage. It's a ploy that would make the group little more than a novelty--if not for the fact that they really do rock. Definitely worth checking out live if they come to your town.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:13 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:43 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

day 2 http://www.donewaiting.com/2009/03/20/s ... ir-salons/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:58 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Day 2 Ned-style: http://atomicned.com/?p=311

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:53 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:35 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:22 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

day 3
http://www.donewaiting.com/2009/03/21/s ... ow-anthem/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:10 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:39 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Yo, Funky Dan B - The Shys played 7 shows at SXSW. I only saw the very last one (midnight/Saturday night). It was great. I filmed a couple songs and I'll load 'em up when I get back to Columbus on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:52 pm 
Mechagodzilla

anybody bother to check out CDR's showcase?