[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - SXSW 2009

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SXSW 2009
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:09 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:03 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:46 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:09 pm 
King Ghidorah

:wall:

Last edited by Bo Davis on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:10 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:27 pm 
Jet Jaguar

popular consensus seems to be that it went really well. (no thanks to wavves and all the stupid dance music going on outside)

Attendance fluxuated throughout the night as it tends to do at these things, but was generally good, especially during the guinea worms, whose slot had a mention in the austin chronicle.

i met plently of non-columbusites who are CDR mail-order customers who were seeing the bands for the first time, which was very cool.

There was a healthy dose of columbus folk there, which is always very nice to see, but i def saw a higher, more consistent concentration of non-columbusites than I have at previous CDR showcases.

already excited for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:28 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:08 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:57 pm 
Jet Jaguar

circle jerks were hilarious.

also nice to meet the french dude who walked away from me when i told him the cdr merch booth didn't have any wavves records for sale.

also glad tommy jay perservered through the shitty norwegian techno music blasting outside to play a fine set.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:23 pm 
Jet Jaguar

My Favorites:

Mayyors

Box Elders

Los Llamarada

Psychedelic Horseshit Ms Beas night set when they were pissed off "you have to come to the bridge show tonight, there's gonna be acid, hookers, and free pizza" and where they sold their homemade "Wavves Suxx" shirts for 20$ right off their backs

thee Oh Sees outdoor show at the In the Red showcase

the 1-2 punch of Human Eye (absolute madness, firecrackers, glitter, homemade masks)/3 piece version of Tyvek at Beerland

Zola Jesus

the CDR Showcase - our best show & all CDR bands know how to tear up a dive bar, which is what happened.

Digital Leather

TV Ghost In the Red Showcase

I thought I would check out some of the huger shows, but then I didn't want to.

I did walk by Kanye West and his sheriff guards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm 
King Ghidorah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:22 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I saw about 16 Lutzko look-a-likes on 6th St. throughout the week but I didn't take any photos.

Also, no matter what Kevin Elliott may say, Quartershackle was his favorite band of the Texas Rockfest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:53 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:02 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 am 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:56 am 
Godzilla

Just being a cheerleader and I would have gone down there just to see thee oh sees! I see digital leather? I heard that was the shit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 am 
Jet Jaguar

cool cool. i didn't see digital leather, but oh sees playing in front of beerland at the end of friday night with a big crowd forming on the sidewalk and eventually spilling onto red river st. was a spectacle to behold.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 am 
Snarf

All the bands from Monterrey MX... XYX, Ratas del Vaticano, Los Llamarada. Really cool sets and nice folks too
Pocahaunted doing "weird early Slits set" @ the Hideaway
Tyvek @ Beerland
Nite Jewel @ Ms Beas sounding just like like Pauline Murray and the Invisible Girls!
Barn Owl @ Hideaway twisting Popul Vuh soundtracks into drone/doom
King Khan and the Shrines super band @ Emos
J Mascis jamming with Earthless in some tent
Mayyors set at WFMU/Aquarius
Flower Travellin Band... pretty astounding old Japanese psych dudes
CDR showcase at Music Gym
Psychedelic Horseshit @ Ms Beas with Matt seemingly furious at his "fans"

$1.25 empanadas + Argentine beer + espresso + cool bartenders at that Argentine place
migas + wild boar sausage + bloody mary at South Congress Cafe
getting shit from Hank IV about my new fanny pack
pedicab ride across 6th street Friday night at midnight
totally fucking insane taxi driver who turned out to be (of course) from Ohio
smoking hot ladies wearing hardly any clothes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:38 am 
Godzilla

I dont supposed anybody videotaped this Matt Horseshit dealio? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:38 am 
King Ghidorah

The fact that your fanny pack was the perfect size to hold a half bottle of whisky? :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:48 pm 
Jet Jaguar

. . . ok, i guess???

relevant ones:

Psychedelic Horses***
Tons of attitude
Scuzzy in all the best ways
They call it s***gaze

Guinea Worms
Roll off of the couch
See some fractured guitar pop
"Box of Records," hott

of course, there's also this:

Wavves
Wavves suxx? Not really
Sun-kissed fuzzy pop nuggets
He's cuter than you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next