[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - favorite live music of 2008

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: favorite live music of 2008
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:59 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Sorry for confusing you. I went to this show. At the show, there was a kitten in the ceiling. I later took this kitten home and now she is my cat. In conclusion, show was good, kitten is great, and she met Bruno Wizard.

I wish Fey Gods didn't always play first because I'm so disappointed when I miss them. I know there's a lot of set up involved though, so I'm guessing that trend will continue, and I will have to arrive earlier. Favorite new band of '08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:25 am 
Snarf

Raven/Cheater Slicks at Summit on Halloween

Damn! Forgot about this one... Raven was terrifying looking and terrifyingly good.

And Tom from the Slicks was dressed as zombie Abe Lincoln...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:08 am 
Jet Jaguar

I like that Raven had a Halloween costume beneath his mask.

Another favorite show: Bathhouse, Skarekrauradio, Cave at Skylab.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:02 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Box Elders/Grave Blankets at Bourbon

Fabulous Diamonds/Horseshit at Carabar.

CHEATER SLICKS/UNHOLY 2 at various locales

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:00 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:44 pm 
Mechagodzilla

that could be [color=#008080] his name. it was on a n[color=#FF40BF]ight during the communist musical festival. tom[color=#BF0040] who [/color]runs lost treasurE played guitar w/ him.[/color]
BATH HOUSE :sick: :sick:[*] :sick: [/color]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:26 pm 
Mothra

Hair Police @ Skylab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 am 
Mothra

Wrote this for the work blog, figured I'd post it here too:

Live Music of 2008:

I had a longer list and was going to try and put it in some kind of order, but then I realized that I saw some performances this year that were so excellent, groundbreaking, surprising etc that they defied ranking. In other words, they were basically “perfect”. I also realized that some of the great bands I saw play merely good shows should not be included, and I narrowed it down to the following (in chronological order):

Pink Reason at Beachland Ballroom (Cleveland OH) 01/26/08

Kites/ Kevin Shields/ Justice Yeldham at Churchhill's Pub as part of the Intl Noise Conference (Miami Florida) 02/14-16/08

Holographic Dog Disease at Skylab (Columbus OH) 02/20/08

Laundry Room Squelchers/ Psychedelic Horseshit/ Out There Dudes at Skylab as part of the Columbus iteration of the Intl Noise Conference (Columbus OH) 04/20/08

Anna Ranger at Rumba Café (Columbus OH) ??/??/08

TV Ghost at Bernies Distillery (Columbus OH) 06/14/08

Nelson Slater's Bored Teen War Team at Skylab (Columbus OH) 06/28/08

Panicsville at Skylab (Columbus OH) 06/18/08

Hair Police at Skylab (Columbus OH) 07/27/08

Little Claw at Carabar (Columbus OH) 09/13/08

Jandek (w/ Ryan Jewell, C. Spencer Yeh, and Derek Dicenzo) at Wexner Center for the Arts (Columbus OH) 10/10/08

Ludo Mich / Koonda Holla at Bokal Royal (Brussels Belgium) 11/02/08

Indian Jewelry at Cave 12 (Geneva Switzerland) 11/09/08

Adam "Smitty" Smith/ Russian Tsarlag at Skylab (Columbus OH) 11/22/08

Aaron Dilloway at Modern Formations (Pittsburgh PA) 12/13/08

One last comment about venues: I’m not really surprised at how many of the shows above were at Skylab this year, but I am surprised that none of them were at Café Bourbon St (or for that matter, any of the other DIY venues here in town). The many shows I saw at Bourbon St in 2008 were almost always good, and I am surprised myself to note that none of them made this list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:40 pm 
Mechagodzilla

That TV Ghost show at Bernies was so awesome. The party at Plank's afterward, where that asshole from Young Zeus was screaming at Lutzko, was fun as hell too. Best night of the Summmmer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:34 pm 
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:04 pm 
Godzilla

avett bros in bloomington
obits @ summit
howlies @ carabar x 2
thomas function @ summit
motorpsycho @ wex
earwig all over the place x 999
riverboat gamblers @ the basement
used to be women @ bobo
hugs & kisses @ comfest
necropolis @ jack's arcade
red dawn II @ bobo
bookmobile @ rumba
jason frederick @ summit
box elders @ bobo
vivian girls @ bobo
homosexuals @ summit
the potluck @ summit - esp chinn & bandman & lydia's band (=winners!!1!!!)
priestess @ ravari
daycreeper all over the place x 1000
the sun @ ravari
ugly stick @ bobo
the pets @ ravari
ryan jewell's most recent set @ the summit. fanfuckingtastic.
birds of hair @ bobo
good company good company good company
anytime that one girl sang 'house of the rising sun' @ ravari karaoke
anytime anyone spontaneously busted into 'the bitch done gave me the clap again'

I'm not saying "faggy" because I don't like homosexuals, I happen to be a huge fan of Rob Halford, Ian Mckellen, and I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain even said that he might be bisexual, hell I have a bisexual friend. I'm saying "faggy" to describe this guys voice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:45 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Two that spring to mind are Blind Melon @ The Newport and Darker My Love @ The Summit. Gotta say that The Strange Boys were the best live discovery of 2008 (opening for Darker My Love).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 pm 
Godzilla

fall out boy@bernies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:43 pm 
Jet Jaguar

here's of my favorite shots from 2008, which are pretty much my favorite shows that i saw too.

paper chase @ carabar was pretty awesome too, as was the tommy jay cd release @ carabar, i don't think those are in the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 pm 
Mothra

may be late but i don't care as it comes to my mind :

white mice, dj scotch egg, swordheaven, skylab
biff boff barf, bourbon street
cluster, hair police, no fun fest
birds of hair, bourbon street in august
panicsville, peasant graves, skylab
envenomist, skylab
outer space, tanked, jewell/hasan rasaq/marrota, skylab
psych. horseshit, skully's
drunkdriver, summit
unholy two, summit
aaron dilloway, voice of the valley festival in west virginia, and in pittsburgh
twink bully, skylab and bobo w/ matt bush
moviola, surly girl
sunburned hand of the man, silent barn, nyc
evan parker, marylin crispell, boston
god willing, unicorn hard-on, black flag, ryan jewell, rot ton bone, voice of the valley festival, west virginia
out there dudes, bourbon street
extreme animals, le kay, eagle in detroit
erik minkinnen, miroiterie, paris
brainbow at skully's

that's it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:10 pm 
King Ghidorah

Radiohead @ Santa Barbar Bowl 08/28/2008
http://www.lders.nl/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:25 pm 
Jet Jaguar

giraffe n a dyslexic walk in2 a bra. waiter sez, can't enter w/o a tie. all they find r jumper cables. ask, r these okay? waiter sez, don't go starting anything! have a seat n proceed 2 get faceless drunk. giraffe falls off stool. dyslexic gets up to leave, waiter sez, you cant leave that lyin there. dyslexic sez, thats not a lion, its a giraffe.