blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Stripes blame Release Date change on Piracy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:20 pm 
King Ghidorah

This is for all of you folks already gushing about 'Elephant', you've done us all a favor and gotten the release date moved to April 1st! In other words thank you, i've wanted to hear this album as soon as I heard White Blood Cells. I don't think that this news piece from Billboard mentions the fact that their record company has also taken the precaution of distrubuting altered versions of songs onto places like Kazaa. These bear the names of all the new tracks but unfortunately and ultimately frustratingly only contian a looped 15 second fragment. I'm glad the company has also responded by moving the release date because it is quite obvious from all the downloads that people are already chomping at the bit to hear this disc, and its in everyone's best interest to get it released as soon as possible. Unless this is all a baffling elaborate April fool's day joke....
Seth

Here's the piece:

Leaks Force White Stripes Release Date Change
The White Stripes have pushed forward the release date of their highly anticipated Third Man/V2 album "Elephant" from April 15 to April 1 (March 31 internationally) after songs from the disc were leaked onto the Internet. As previously reported, the band had taken the unusual precaution of distributing a limited amount of promotional copies only on vinyl and cassette. "Elephant" is still expected to be available on vinyl to the general public on the date of the CD release.

The new set is follow-up to the Stripes' 2001 commercial breakthrough, "White Blood Cells" (Sympathy for the Record Industry), which hit No. 1 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart and has sold 631,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. The single "Fell in Love With a Girl" reached No. 12 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks chart, while "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" peaked at No. 19 on the same tally.

As reported yesterday, the White Stripes are among the bands confirmed for the fourth Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, set for April 26-27 in Indio, Calif. Beforehand, the group has a handful of sold-out U.K. dates on tap, beginning April 7 in Wolverhampton.

Here are the White Stripes' tour dates:

April 7: Wolverhampton, England (Civic Auditorium)
April 8: Manchester, England (Apollo)
April 10: Glasgow (Academy)
April 11-12: London (Brixton Academy)
April 27: Indio, Calif. (Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival)

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:27 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I cant wait to get a hold of that record.