[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - What is the last album you purchased?

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: What is the last album you purchased?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:36 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

(not downloaded!)

CD format, or record, tape, whatever...

Me:

And you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:57 pm 
Godzilla

beck - sea change.
before that, it was 4 LPs - malcolm dalglish, gary burton / chick corea, stanley clarke, willie nelson

yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:47 am 
Godzilla

Beck "Sea Change" and Barenaked Ladies' "Born on a Pirate Ship"

Both are very good albums. And I bought them used so they cost me only $14 for both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:30 am 
Mothra

daedelus: the quiet party
erlend oye: unrest

Post subject: cd purchase
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:22 am 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:52 pm 
Snarf

And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead:Source Tags and Code
Idlewild: 100 Broken Windows

Post subject: Nest Cd's
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:34 pm 
King Ghidorah

I've been getting quite a few goodies lately, I won't get into any real depth here because ifI start I won't be able to stop, and I'd rather not be at the computer into the depths of the night. I mentioned in a another post about the new Godspeed album I just picked up, but I didn't mention these fine discs:

Nick Cave: Nocturama. A truly fine disc, though much of it won't surprise those that have followed his career post Let Love In, yup more hyper- literate gorgeous piano ballads. That is until you reach Babe, I'm on Fire, a track so insane in both its length, number of verses, and menagerie of characters that it should come with a hellfire warning. I haven't been this excited about a song of this length (that wasn't instrumental of course) or verbosity since high school, although those unmentionable pretentious tracks could never claim to be this ferocisouly cool, or frightening on purpose.

Supergrass: Life on Other Planets. I got this a bit early because it took America so durn long to release it, and upon listening remembered why every one of their discs assumes a unmovable field of gravity in my player, making it impossible to remove, or indeed stop playing the thing. It's truly awesome (I use the term in its dictionary sense, in that it fills with me with awe) modern guitar based glam rock, with all the Bowie, Bolan, and Floyd fetishes a boy like me likes to hear. Its all diamond sharp, over the top, technicolor craftmanship here folks, so step right up. They're currently touring with the Coral so come out and see one of those lengendary live British acts you've all heard about. I myself am going to try to catch them in Montreal.

I've also recently gotten the Zwan album and the new Delgados album, both are quite addictive. At some point i'll write up my thoughs on them over in the proper place. Boy i'm verbose tonight huh? There's other new stuff I could write about also, but I really gotta take pity on you all. Thanks for lending me your ears, I hereby return them.

Seth

Ack! I just remembered that I need to get Zwan and Sigur Ros tickets...!!

Post subject: Re: Nest Cd's
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:33 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:28 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:14 am 
King Ghidorah

The last album i've gotten is the Go-betweens new one Bright Yellow Bright Orange, and although I've only listened to it twice I think its pretty durn solid. The songwriting has a bit more depth than their last one, and still contains all of their trademark jangly touches. I'll get back to you all later with more details.

I'm waiting to get the Notwist album, the Music, and the new Richard Ashcroft. I'm only really sure that the Notwist will be good but i'm interested enough in the other two to get them.

Oh and Rob you really should get the Supergrass disc, its as brightly catchy as it should be, almost existing as a newly written career overview for the band. Check out these tracks, any way you wish: Rush Hour Soul, Brecon Beacons, Grace, and Run. Oh and everyone remember they're touring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:10 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Solomon Burke, Don't Give Up On Me
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:37 pm 
Snarf

Listen to me people! LISTEN!

Go out as soon as possible and buy Solomon Burke's 'Don't Give Up On Me'. There are links on the Fat Possum's sight to listen to the whole album in REAL and I also recommend the NPR story about the album + Solomon interview:

http://www.fatpossum.com/burke.html

I haven't listened to much soul music, but Mr. Norman was playing this in my Sunday morning painting group and I fell in love. Solomon is considered THE KING of Soul. He schooled Otis and he schooled Sam. Hell, James Brown offered to BUY the title of 'King of Soul' from him, but Solomon said you can't buy a King. For the last 30 years he has been doing it his way. Playing on small labels and working day jobs just to make the music he loves.

For this record they asked several artists to write songs for him to sing. No one refused. Bob Dylan, Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, and Tom Waits all know a good thing when thy hear it. And so shall you.

Post subject: Re: Solomon Burke, Don't Give Up On Me
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:39 pm 
King Ghidorah

Last edited by Frisby on Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:44 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:11 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:48 pm 
Snarf

Post subject: Solomon Burke / Derek Trucks Band
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:21 am 
Jet Jaguar

Solomon Burke's 'Don't Give Up On Me' IS a f-ing great album. Still, I'm surprised any mainstream publication named it album of the year.

I just wanted to mention that if you like Solomon Burke, check out the first major-label release 'Joyful Noise' from my boys: The Derek Trucks Band. Mr. Burke provides lead vocals on 2 tracks. It's a great album from my favorite band. Who, by the way, are playing Frontier Ranch in Kirkersville 5.24. Plug, plug :-)

I just can't express how much I dig DTB! I've seen them so many times since I saw them open for Gov't Mule at Ludlow's in about 1999. Last time they were in Cols at Lil Bros I met my brother at Skully's to grab a bite before the show and Kofi (flute/keys) and Rico (drums) came into Skully's with some of the road crew. I don't know why I mentioned that...it was just a cool Cowtown experience, watching the cops block a lane of high street so they could put up one of those "Arch City" arches with the cop lights flashing in the window right behind the guys from the band I was about to see play.

Post subject: Robinella
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:45 am 
King Ghidorah

I Robinella & the CC String Band's "No Saint, No Prize" direct from the bands website. Got it last week and have listened to it exactly once... so I'll hold off on the critique. (It sounds great, but I'm still deciding what kind of great.

And I didn't buy it, but Charlie's loaned Solomon Burke has indeed been gettin' some heavy rotation on iTunes...

Last edited by Stroker Ace on Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:32 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:39 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:45 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:51 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:05 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:09 pm 
Godzilla

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next