[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Plane trip and guitar.

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plane trip and guitar.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:58 pm 
Mothra

Before the twin towers fell I went to Holland and I took my Telecaster in a gig bag with me as a carry on. I'm going back soon, and I haven't called the airlines to see if I can still do that. I'm afraid they won't let me. Anybody here try to fly with their guitar?

Post subject: Re: Plane trip and guitar.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:51 pm 
Godzilla

yeah, i used to fly to NY and back with a hollowbody in a gig bag all the time, but like you, in the pre-terra-ists days.

i'm bettin' you're boned nowadays, though . . .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:39 am 
Jet Jaguar

I've been wondering the same thing for the past several years, what the deal is these days. I remember when they used to just let me lean my guitar next to the bathroom door on the way to Mexico. I haven't even bothered trying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:34 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

You can't carry on anything that doesn't fit under the seat or in the overhead bins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 am 
Godzilla

unless you're willing to buy a ticket for your guitar and put it on the seat. Not even sure if that is kosher any more or not either though.

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:04 pm 
King Ghidorah

Yeah, you are gonna have to check it and hope for the best. Be sure to use a hard shell case and be sure to loosen the strings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:53 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i'm doing this flying w/ guitar thing in december.
do you think just the hard shell case is enough or do u need to buy one of those crazy tour cases :?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 pm 
Jet Jaguar

I have a La Petrie "Collection" classical guitar that I used to fly with. I would always carry it on because the case actually does fit in the overhead compartment. Then one trip back home I got switched airlines due to a flight delay. I normally flew Northwest, they made me jump to Delta so I could still make my connecting flight, at my layover in Chicago Delta threw a fit about it and made me check it to get on the plane, then after I finally agreed to check it they told me that they would not cover it if it was damaged in flight and made me sign a waiver saying they weren't responsible. It was sign it or be stuck in Chicago. I fought with them until the very last minute then relented. When I got off in Traverse City the neck was broken off of the body. That totally ruined my X-Mas! Luckily the people at J. Thomas Davis did a BEAUTIFUL job fixing it. It actually played a little better. Those guys are SOOOOOO good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:23 am 
Godzilla

We had them check all of our guitars when we went to San Francisco. They rode in the belly. We didn't have any problems. They all came back in one piece. Life's all about taking risks and guitars want to be smashed. For real. I have seen people not check them, in the past, with no problems, but, the Fascist leash just got tighter. Hope they let you take it on board.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:28 am 
Jet Jaguar

I've flown often with guitar in tow... even after 9/11.

In my experience, it isn't too difficult to get the thing past security and up to the gate. Playing dumb and not asking any questions has worked well for me. From there they usually don't let you take the guitar into the actual seating (although my acoustic case can fit in the overhead bin), but I've had the attendants take mercy on me if the flight isn't crowded.
Anyway, ultimately what they'll do is take the guitar just as you're boarding the plane and "safe store" it. It's the same thing they do with baby strollers and wheelchairs and such. Right as you board the plane, they trade you a pink ticket for your item and then store it. When you land, those items are the first to be unpacked and are even waiting for you in the walk-way/tunnel thingy.
I've never had a problem flying with my git-fiddle. In fact, about seven years ago I ran into Eric Clapton at the Columbus airport and asked him to strum a little something on my guitar... which he did. Muy cool. Maybe he'll be there for your trip, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:35 am 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

I don't know how recently you've flown, but if your guitar doesn't fit in that little box they've got at the ticket counters that's the size of the overhead bins or the underseat area, your shit's going in with the luggage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:44 pm 
Godzilla

Before 911, we used to be able to play them on the plane and rush the cockpit with them, too. Damn Fascists changed all that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:57 am 
Jet Jaguar

Just remember those guys who load the bagage onto the plane aren't called "throwers" for nothin!

I think a lot of people... who have money... not like me... they buy an extra seat for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:29 am 
Mothra

Just got back. I had a WONDERFUL time! The food and beer were GREAT and the people I stayed with had a guitar for me to play. I was lucky. The guitar was a strat copy that played very well. I hope one day I'll get a chance to fly again. Until then, I wont have to worry about it!