[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - miranda sound cd release show

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: miranda sound cd release show
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:32 am 
Godzilla

jon chinn + 1803-wow. so good tonight. amazing how these dudes see each so infrequently, yet fucking bring it to shows.

bookmobile-absolutley no offense to miranda sound at all, but i think bookmobile might be my new favorite columbus band. i had only seen their first show ever...so good tonight.

miranda sound-i had to leave early as i must work brunch at bettys in the morning but tonight was one of those perfect rock shows - i love love love the new miranda sound songs...nice mixture of new vs. old. i think it's starting to settle in that miranda sound is breaking up and there may be crying at comfest next week.

also-dear ravari room-please fucking staff yer bar a smidge better. sheesh.

Post subject: Re: miranda sound cd release show
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:02 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:11 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Hake was right when he said last night was a reunion. Lots of people I haven't seen in a long time, good to catch up and the music didn't hurt either. Nice to chat with Kang in these days before he becomes (an even bigger) rock star, cuz that's what's going to happen when the new Margot 2x CD comes out. Good to see the Metronomes in a setting outside of the corporate world. Always good to see Sean playing in a band though I only saw about half of Bookmobile's set. I tried to sneak off with Hake's Melty Melty advance release but he caught me (still looking for it on Napster but no luck so far). And is Jon Chinn not the most likeable man in the Columbus music scene? Oh, snap, how did I forget namedropping the Renos????? <gets that twinkle in the eye> Why, I remember asking Reno to design the Honey's "Hot Day in Heaven" CD cover even though he had never done any CD artwork or show posters before (nice job on all the MS merch, Clint, it looks great).

It was through Duffy (Donewaiting) that I met Miranda Sound - as I'm sure many of you did - and I'm sad to see it come to a (soon-to-be) end though nothing good lasts forever (did the Promise Ring say that? oh no, it was "nothing feels good"). I don't think MS has any regrets which is a great thing - going out on their own terms, all still friends, with the great present to fans of a final (best?) album. I'm sure "final" won't be truly "final" and we'll be treated to an occasional reunion show, probably in celebration of a Donewaiting anniversary or something.

Fellas, I got me tickets to the Clippers game next Saturday (who the hell buys tix to a crummy minor league baseball game on a Comfest night?????) but I think I'll be stopping by the Off-Ramp stage on the way to the Coop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:43 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

the new album sounded so good live, yeessss

thanks to everyone who came out!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:12 pm 
Godzilla

I bet groundrules will post a review, as soon as gets that vodka tonic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:33 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 pm 
Godzilla

I'm trying to store up all my tears for that weekend in August, but I think a few leaked out last night.

Groundrules asked me who was going to replace Miranda Sound for me, and I told him that I really think this is just a chapter of my life that's over. It's tragic, but I don't think there's another band that will EVER be to me what MS has been.

But if Ted Leo decides to move to Columbus, I will run merch for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 am 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:44 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

photos on me blog:

photographing music and the people who make it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:58 am 
Jet Jaguar

Sweet mother of mercy, thanks so much for coming out on Friday. We were blown away by yer support. Loaded totes forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:45 pm 
King Ghidorah

When I first saw Miranda Sound, like four years ago when I randomly decided to make the trip to Columbus...I listened to a few songs and I thought there was no way these guys hadn't heard of Remy Zero. Granted, it could have been because one of the guys is bald, but there was that distinct twinge in the sound that only reminded me of RZ.

Anyway, ya I love Miranda Sound. Didn't know they were breaking up though. Is it definite?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:50 pm 
Godzilla

Sweet god, thanks for coming out.

JC+1803: That was a blast -- thanks for the nice words peeps. Friday was a good one. We don't practice much between shows. Like, at all, sometimes. We love playing together and we are crazy about Jon's songs.

Bookmobile: Glad so many people got the chance to experience them. They are made up of four of our favorite people in town, and they also happen to be a fucking amazing pop rock band. It was nice to hear firsthand about new BM converts Friday.

MS: I don't know -- Friday was one of the most enjoyable times I've had playing live music. I'm so glad people like the new songs, and are perceiving a change from what we've been up to in the past, in a favorable way.

Ravari Room has been terribly good to us, and Friday was no exception. The wait at the bar was kinda goofy, but in Ravari's defense, they said at the end of the night that they almost doubled their usual Friday traffic, so that accounts for most of it. No sweat -- just get two or five drinks at once!

Thanks for the pics Kim. Very awesome, as always.

If you weren't there, maybe we'll see you at Comfest on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:55 am 
Mechagodzilla

The service at Ravari sucks my ball bag. It always has, no matter how many people they have behind the bar. They could move twice as many drinks if they tried a little harder. And I really doubt that the first thing an owner thinks about is how to not piss off any staff members, it's how can we move more booze. The worst bar tender they have is the Japanese chic, I think her name is Helen. More than 40 people in that place and the service is out the window.

Anyhoo, I got there in time to watch most of Bookmobile's set, and I fucking loved the shit out of it. Great pop songs. It always sounded as if the drummer could go of the tracks at any moment, but he never did. I liked the tension his playing added to the songs. This is one of my new favorite bands in town.

I just saw the first 3 or 4 songs of Miranda sound, and they sounded like they were off to a good start to put on a stellar show. But I needed to get a drink...and got fed-up with the wait so I decided to leave. So I stopped by the merch booth because I wanted to load up on swag, yet there was nobody manning the booth when I was there, so I waited a few minutes and even gave up on that. So I headed down the street to see Happy play at Dick's, and the service was excellent.

Still want to get my hands on the new MS record and a Bookmobile disc.

I'd also like an MS tote bag, lunch box, sneakers and sleeping bag. And if they come out with a Miranda Sound coffin, I'll take one of those, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 pm 
Godzilla

you DO realize that not all asians are japanese, don't you?
and that chick is spelled with a "k?"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:31 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:28 pm 
Mechagodzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:40 pm 
Mechagodzilla

yes, I realize there were other guys working the bar, one of which normally wouldn't be working behind the bar. And yeah, they all need to pick up the pace a bit.

It's just that are more than one occasion I've seen that girl working even when it's deader than a doornail and waited for her to finishing checking her cell phone, talk to another girl working there, show off a new tat with another customer not waiting for a drink before taking my order.

This isn't a "just me" thing, I've heard the same complaint from dozens of people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:54 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i didn't have any problems getting drinks once i started showing some cleavage...

oh yeah, and the show was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:09 pm 
Jet Jaguar

This last Friday was so fucking fun. So many people from 2000-2005 columbus scene. It was great. It was an honor for me to get to play that show.

When the 1803 dudes played, they were spot on. Amazing musicians. I was really nervous following them.

I thought we played pretty well. I'm glad I didn't break anything else. After I dumped my beer, that stage was slippery. I really like the quote "BM converts". haha.

Miranda Sound. Damn. The most genuine, talented, modest dudes. They've been great friends to share stages with for almost a decade. They should team up with Sowash and write the indie-rock code of ethics book. Incredible dudes. Incredible new record. Great performance.

I'm probably going to remember that show for the rest of my life. Thanks to the Dans, Billy, and Sean and everyone else that came out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:52 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:37 pm 
Godzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:02 pm 
Mechagodzilla

actually, she is. and she's still slow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 pm 
Godzilla

well, you're not sure of her name, and i've known her for 11 years, so you're probably right.