[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Elliott Smith Dead At 34

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elliott Smith Dead At 34
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:12 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:11 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:15 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:29 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:45 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:57 am 
Snarf

Post subject: wow.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:07 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:23 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:43 am 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:48 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: try here
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:15 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:35 pm 
i can't really begin to try and explain how much his songs and words
ment to me. if you listened to him, i'm sure you already understand.
the saddest thing about his passing is that everyone who knew him
already knew that he was going to die at any time, but no one could
really do anything about it except just wonder when.
but there was something really special and magical about his playing
and singing. anyone who had seen him play by himself knows what i mean.

i guess all i want to do is post some lyrics to a song that could be/have been on his next album. i really hope it gets released.

it's called Fond Farwell.

the light bright's now black and white
you took apart a picture that wasnt right
pitch burning on a shining sheet
the only maker that you'd wanna meet

a dying man in a living room
trying to get to the door
god knows what for
this is not my life...

it's just a fond farwell to a friend
it's not what i'm like
who couldnt get things right
a fond farwell to a friend

he said really i just wanna dance
good and evil matched perfect
it's a great romance
i can deal with some psychic pain
if it'll slow down my higher brain

veins full of disapearing ink
vommiting in the kitchen sink
disconnecting from the missing link
this is not my life

it's not what i'm like

i see you're leaving me
and taking up with the enemy
the cold comfort of the inbetween
a little less than a human being

a little less than a happy high
a little less than a suicide
the only things that you really tried
this is not my life

it's not what i'm like

he will be missed.

eric

Last edited by Kevin Bacon on Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:44 pm 
Godzilla

i too have seen people lose their life to heroin, while also seeing others turn their life around after an addiction. these kind of events only conjure up bad memories and aggravating thoughts of "what if".for what its worth, i can only say i truly hope he is at peace now with whatever demons were chasing him ,for however close any listener of his music may have felt to him there was obviously something much deeper he was unwilling to share and thus this is what he saw as his only outlet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:53 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I'm saddest for all of those who looked at him as such an influence and even when Elliott didn't have an album out, or a song on the radio, they were always look for him..waiting patiently for his next piece of music to surface.

I'm sad for my husband who will really miss one of his greatest music influences.

-kim

photographing music and the people who make it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:20 pm 
King Ghidorah

This fucking breaks my heart....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:19 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

from Rolling Stone
-------------------------
Elliott Smith, whose fragile melodies and voice positioned him as a Nick Drake for a new generation, died yesterday of a knife wound to the chest, an apparent suicide; he was thirty-four. Smith's body was found at his home in Los Angeles by a friend yesterday just after noon. He was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead an hour later.
Smith's life and career eerily reflect that of Drake, who mined a similar vein of melancholy folk-rock before an overdose (it has never been determined whether intentional or not) ended his career at age twenty-six. Like Drake, Smith's output is striking and spare: Six full-length solo albums, three with his old band Heatmiser, and, true to the independent ethic that defined and dogged him throughout his career, a few handfuls of EPs and seven-inch releases.

To those who followed obsessively, Smith's career was as varied as it was brief. But his blessing and burden was an Academy Award nomination for a song that he would effectively retire from his live performances. Smith never quite seemed comfortable with the degree of attention drawn by "Miss Misery," an original song that appeared (along with several other of his tunes) in Good Will Hunting. The song earned Smith a slot on prime-time television at the Oscars ceremony alongside Celine Dion along with endless barbs and queries. "She was a very nice, lovely person," he said.

The appearance was a long way from Smith's underground rock roots. Born Steven Paul Smith in Omaha, Nebraska, on August 6, 1969, Smith spent his childhood years in Dallas with his mother and stepfather. He began playing music at age nine and composing a year later. By the time Smith was in high school, he had moved to live with his father in Portland, Oregon. Smith seemed nomadic by nature, spending a few years in Brooklyn, Los Angeles and back in the Pacific Northwest. "I just like moving around," he told Rolling Stone in 2000, "because, you know, you only live once. I kinda wanna try out living in a bunch of different places and see if anything sticks. I guess I've pared down my stuff over time to things I can easily move."

It was at Lincoln High School in Portland that Smith fell in with his first band, Stranger Than Fiction, which ended with his graduation from high school. Smith moved to Amherst, Massachusetts, where he attended Hampshire College, and played with a local band. Smith met fellow singer-songwriter Neil Gust at school and the two relocated to Portland, forming Heatmiser in 1992, along with bassist Sam Coomes (who would later form Quasi) and drummer Tony Lash (who would go on to be a noted producer). The band's sound was more punk than folk, though in interviews, Gust would note that before and after shows, Smith would sit and play quieter fare on his acoustic guitar. Heatmiser would release three LPs and an EP between 1993 and 1996, and during that time, Smith also released Roman Candle (1994) and Elliott Smith (1995) under his own name.

Heatmiser flared out by 1996, and Smith turned to a full-time solo career, writing and recording songs that were largely acoustic, sing-song melodic and tinged with melancholy and embraced by a cult-sized audience. Either/Or arrived in 1997, but prior to that release, Smith had earned a fan in filmmaker Gus Van Sant. Six of Smith's songs appeared on the Good Will Hunting soundtrack, but perhaps more striking was the way Van Sant incorporated the songs into the fabric of the film, using them to fill in the silences.

In addition to the much ballyhooed Oscar appearance (at which a game Smith appeared in a white tuxedo), Good Will Hunting earned him interest from major labels, with Dreamworks signing him and releasing XO in 1998. The album found Smith broadening his sound, with cascading production on "Sweet Adeline" and a hooky piano vamp on the dancing "Waltz #2 (XO)." Another Dreamworks record, Figure 8 was released in 2000 and again found a marriage between Smith's acoustic foundation and a more robust production dynamic. "There's no point in making the same record over and over again," he said. "It's always going to be kind of coherent because it's all coming from the same person. So given that amount of boredom, you might as well change it up as much as possible."

Figure 8 marked the beginning of a quiet period for Smith. His gaunt appearance and world-weary manner had long fueled rumors of chemical addiction, though Smith kept his personal life guarded. As for what could have been perceived as idle time, he said, "I don't really think of time off as writing blocks. I think that's a Western notion of demonizing inactivity. When your imagination decides it needs to take a nap, then maybe that's what it needs to do."

Smith had begun to show signs of resurfacing this year. In August he released "Pretty (Ugly Before)"/"A Distorted Reality Is Now a Necessity to Be Free," a new seven-inch. He was also working on his sixth album, From a Basement on the Hill, with plans for a release next year.

And while Smith's tragic end will no doubt seal his legacy as a Drake-like poet of gloom, he thought such focus wasn't fair to the whole scope of his work. "The 'depressing' thing is a superficial tag," he said. "Everybody gets a tag. If you listen to a Velvet Underground record, you don't think, 'Godfathers of Punk.' You just think, 'This sounds great.' The tags are there in order to help try to sell something by giving it a name that's going to stick in somebody's memory. But it doesn't describe it. So 'depressing' isn't a word I would use to describe my music. But there is some sadness in it -- there has to be, so that the happiness in it will matter."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:45 pm 
Godzilla

"Last call, he was sick of it all"
"And I think I'm all done, You can switch me off safely"

Last nite I was listening to Roman Holiday as I'm wont to do when things aren't going well for me and I'm thinking dark thoughts and saying mean things. It usually helps. Sometimes it's VU, sometimes Beatles, sometimes others, last nite it was Roman Holiday. When it ends with "Kiwi Mad Dog 20/20" I always feel a little better.

When I got a call this afternoon about Elliott's death, I was rather cold about it, like "well, he Was a dark kind of fellow and it sort of seemed inevitable."

Now I'm crying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:19 pm 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:19 pm 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:51 am 
Snarf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:31 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:52 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I guess Elliott Smith killed himself rather than waiting for the drugs to do it, so this isn't really a fair thing to ask, but ... how can people like Scott Weiland of STP, Courtney Love, and Robert Downey Jr. continue to get second and third and fourth chances in life, and even further their careers, when people like Elliott Smith, Layne Staley, and Shannon Hoon don't get those chances?

I'm not saying that I wish Weiland, Love, or Downey dead, but it seems to me like those 3, in particular, have had problems as bad as, if not worse, then those who have died.

Life. It's a weird thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:00 am 
Godzilla

ned i see where your coming from but others have different individuals and music that touches them. i was not a big fan of elliot smith and would count weiland as one of my biggest influences. so i guess had he (weiland) died a few years ago (or yesterday or 8 years ago for that matter) , i would be left to ask why he died and why people like (insert other drug addled artist here) are still playing. since only a select few of us are lucky enough to meet the artists that touch us i guess these kinds of responses will always exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:02 pm 
Godzilla

And, for that matter, why don't people like the doodz in ICP or Aaron Nevill or other drain clogs become Oxycontin-munching recluses, waiting to die?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:21 pm 
i've been listening to his records all day today. i have a bunch of live solo shows that
he played last year & this year and they just take on a new meaning now.
alot of his songs talked about the idea of suicide and/or the concept of ending it and
not being around anymore. i guess maybe i'm starting to read things into his songs
now that he's gone, but i just can't listen to a phrase like "i know you'd rather see
me gone, then to see me the way that i am, when i am in the life anyway" without
thinking a little more in depth about it.

he had tried suicide before, at least to my knowledge, jumping off a cliff in Portland
and being impaled by trees, somehow surviving with only scars on his face & body.
he had been in and out of hospitalization & rehab all through his life it seems.

his music & songs will continue to be important to me because they represent
what a person can overcome thru the process of doing something creative, doing
anything, to get past the horrible truths that everyone has to face in life. and also
to be able to celebrate the beautiful things that can balance them out.
even though he didnt make it, his songs are still here.

eric