[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Elliott Smith Dead At 34

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:56 pm 
hey friends,

i've just visited eBay and i can tell you it's not pretty. his newest 7" is selling
for $50 +. please, please, please don't bid on these unless you really just
want the record. if anyone wants the songs i will make them a copy on CDR.
i have alot of rare, live and all of the b-sides that i would be happy to make
for anyone for FREE if you supply the cdrs. please don't support these
awful eBay auctions that are in such poor taste, not to mention taking
advantage of someone's death for profit.

i'd rather give this stuff away than see money go to these losers.

just PM me if you are interested. seriously.

eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:37 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:10 pm 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:09 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:11 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Good article with quotes from people who had been working with Elliott recently.

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... id=2008549

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:53 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

the memorial in l.a. is at: Solutions 4334 W. Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA (in Silver Lake)

Elliott Smith Message Board: http://www.blamonet.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:29 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:52 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Learning to Play in the Womb
By Elliott Smith

My friends and I were just starting to teach ourselves guitar in 1980. I was 11 and really into Beatles songs like "Julia" and "Sexy Sadie"—cool, kaleidoscopic chord changes. I was totally immersed in trying to figure it all out, and it was slowly happening when some madman gunned down the guide. At first, kids at school acted like it was a hoax. It didn't seem real at the time, and to be honest, I rarely think of John Lennon as dead. There's too much life in his music to think of him as gone.

For some reason when I think of him now, I usually picture him the way he looked and sounded during the "hairy and scary" phase, around the time of Abbey Road. Definitely on his own trip. It's neat when you're a kid to see people who aren't scared to change. I was mainly into the musical side of things, however, and Lennon's murder further separated his music from his fame in my mind. I went back to figuring out how to play his songs and pretty much acted as if nothing had happened.

My folks were Beatles fans and supposedly played Sgt. Pepper's for me before I was born. In junior high I thought that "A Day in the Life" was probably my favorite song ever. Of course, now I have many, many favorite songs, but a lot of them are still Lennon songs. For example:

"I'm Only Sleeping"

Most songs that bring up wanting to be left alone in some way or another don't do it as gracefully as this one. It's cool to express and defend your own interior space without getting all hostile about it; this song makes it seem easy. I also like the way it feels as if it's pulling itself along with its own momentum instead of being pushed forward heavily with the kick drum.

"Tomorrow Never Knows"

The first line ("Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream") kinda says it all, really. Again, it's like he's describing a solid internal state you can maintain without doing battle with the outside world. Sometimes the most amazing thing to me about Lennon is that he kept a positive identity despite such a cracked upbringing and crazy fame. On the other hand:

"Yer Blues"

Sometimes you gotta freak out. Maybe it's cathartic; definitely unavoidable. People generally try to hide their own meltdowns, unfortunately. That's probably why it's a relief to hear a song like this one, at least for me. "Feel so suicidal, even hate my rock'n'roll!" That kind of thing is gonna get out somehow, so why not just detonate it all at once?

"Cold Turkey" and "Jealous Guy"

Being this honest can be risky—which, of course, is an excellent idea. It'll either be sappy or brave. Or both. He chanced it and won. Other people have to write this way all the time. Lennon had access to all floors. Didn't he also write:

"I Am the Walrus"

It's dark, complicated, funny, and popular; it rocks; and it contains the phrase "goo goo g'joob." Lyrics all over the place. I like songs like this because they activate my imagination. Coherence is fine and all, but it's not the measure of interesting lyrics. Sonically, this song seems to be coming from a person who just busted out of incarceration somewhere.

"Across the Universe"

This song is fluid and musical in a way that, to me, overarches all the cultural and political commentary that surrounds his life. A really cool song can sometimes make a dream and reality trade places, maybe for the better.

(from Spin Magazine)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:02 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:02 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:34 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Who am 'I' ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:01 am 
Godzilla

Another coincidence?

In 'Good Will Hunting' October 21 is the day Sean (Robin Williams) states as the date he knew his wife was the one for him. This scene pretty much captures the essence of the story...
At the end of this scene 'Between the Bars' plays.

"Drink up baby
stay up all nite
with the things you could do,
you won't but you might.
The potential you'll be
but you'll never see
the promises you'll only make.
Drink up with me now
and forget all about
the pressure of days,
do what i say...

...Drink up one more time
and I'll make you mine,
keep you apart,
deep in my heart..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:18 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:43 pm 
Mothra

I loved everything Elliot Smith ever put out. Either/Or and XO, in my opinion, are virtually perfect singer-songwriter albums. Beautifully simple melodies, rich harmonies (the boy was not afraid of a double/triple/quadruple-track!), and a lot of passion. For me, I just love that sad songs can somehow sound so happy.

I saw him perform at Ludlow's, of all places, when touring for XO, and the show was brilliant. I hung around after the show so I could meet him. This was just after Rolling Stone did a feature story on him, painting him as a disturbed and troubled poet. So as he signed my ticket stub, I said "I just read that Rolling Stone story, and they made you sound so disturbed and depressed...nothing like the engergetic and passionate show I just watched. You really seemed to enjoy yourself up there." Elliot smirked and said, "You know, Rolling Stone is not a bad magazine to read if you're in the bathroom or something like that, but I wouldn't believe everything they write." We both laughed and I thanked him for the autograph.

So I thought the press blew it out of proportion when they talked about "tortured artist Elliot Smith." Imagine my shock when it all turned out to be true and he offed himself. He kinda lied to me...but I can't slag the guy. He will be missed, and I am thankful for his musical legacy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:59 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:15 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject: Re: Elliott Smith Dead At 34
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:58 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Five years ago today.