[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Anybody else going to see Sloan tonight??

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody else going to see Sloan tonight??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:58 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:54 pm 
King Ghidorah

Sure, they kill Jet, but no one knows them. Look at it like this: they have a chance to play for a whole new crowd. I saw them in 1998 in Nashville at 12th and Porter with The Shazam no less- what a great show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:03 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

yo, i gotta say, there is one sloan album i love, and then there is this one sloan album i hate.

i forget the titles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:59 am 
Mechagodzilla

show reveiws anyone? I have never heard Sloan, so I'd be interested in hearing a review of their set last night, as well as Jet's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:56 am 
Godzilla

1. I didn't go to the Sloan show. Yes, I agree: it was no doubt a Sloan show. F Jet.
2. I've been a big-ass Sloan fan since early in high school. I think the best album (and I think this is pretty uncontroversial) is Twice Removed. It's a fantastic album, and the whole effin Canadian subcontinent is creamy over it. Rightly so. It rules.
3. There's some less interesting stuff that happened after Twice Removed came out. Navy Blues, for example, is better than most stuff out there, but it's not Sloan's best work.
4. Jay Ferguson wrote to me after I wrote to him and to Murderecords when I was 13. He made fun of my last name in a nice jokey way, and noted that he was "nervous about the new record [meaning Twice Removed]", because it had "less guitar, more piano and maracas". AWESOME.
5. Lastly, this is totally awesome: http://www.georgewbushsingers.com/thealbum.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

One Chord to Another is by far their best, then Navy Blues. I have proof. Twice Removed is pretty good too. Everything after Navy Blues bored me.
Did anyone go to this show? I would've love to see Sloan but I'm afraid they've moved on and have stopped playing most of the stuff I love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:34 pm 
Mechagodzilla

A friend lent me One Chord to Another a couple years back & I absolutely flipped for it. I immediately went out & bought the 2 cds that came after it & I didn't much like them at all. One Chord to Another is like a great, lost Badfinger record, but after it they started sounding more like Bad Company. Not so good, in my book. How sad to be touring with Jet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:40 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:14 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:23 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:34 pm 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:15 pm 
Mechagodzilla

The only problem I have with Jet is that song of theirs has been force fed down our throats for what feels like the last two-and-a-half years now. It's on Madden and another sports game I play every now and then. Wasn't it in a Gap and/or Apple ad, too? You know the one... "One, two, three, take my hand, blah, blah, blah..." I'm sure the kids love it though.

By the by, Sloan was on fire! They actually played a good mix of old and new. They got bonus points for being super cool to talk to after the show. I think my rankings look something like this (Descending order of most fave to least fave):

Navy Blues (1998)
One Chord To Another (1996)
Action Pact (2003)
Twice Removed (1994)
Pretty Together (2001)
Smeared (1993)
Between The Bridges (1999)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:46 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:38 pm