[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - Effect of smoking ban on bars mild so far

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Effect of smoking ban on bars mild so far
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:58 pm 
King Ghidorah

says the front page of today's Dispatch, at least...

Effect of smoking ban on bars mild so far
Monday, August 01, 2005
Jodi Andes
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

When smoking disappeared from Columbus bars and restaurants, bar owners predicted their businesses would be next to go.

But six months after Columbus’ indoor smoking ban took effect, only one restaurant has reported closing because it lost smoking patrons, say members of BarPAC, the Columbus Bar Owners Political Action Committee, which fought the ban.

That restaurant, Julian’s Lounge, reopened last month.

From the start, ban proponents questioned warnings that businesses would fold without smoking. But BarPAC members say Julian’s closing was one too many and that it reopened thanks only to the generosity of a son.

Tony SanFillipo reopened the lounge south of I-270 near Cleveland Avenue with his father, Julian, last month.

After the smoking ban, business dived as smokers drove to bars in nearby Sharon Township where smoking is allowed, Tony SanFillipo said. The business closed in May.

But patrons kept coming back. They met in the parking lot and put up a tent to hold picnics, Tony SanFillipo said. So he reopened the restaurant with a smaller staff that is paid less. And Tony and his wife now work long days to do as much of the work as they can.

"All I can do is hope," he said.

Steaks are still hand cut, the meatloaf and spaghetti sauce are still made from scratch and — so far — the business is staying afloat.

The law, which took effect Jan. 31, bans smoking indoors in public places, including bars, restaurants and bowling alleys. Health inspectors are in charge of enforcing the law, but only if a complaint is made.

If complaints are any indication, smoking at bars is rarer but hasn’t been snuffed out entirely.

Complaints have dwindled to about three a day from 26 when the ban began, said Liane Egle, spokeswoman for the Columbus Health Department. And 21 businesses — all of them bars — have been cited, she said. A violation carries a fine of up to $150.

A national study issued last month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the level of toxins from secondhand smoke found in people’s blood had decreased 4.4 percent over a decade. That means smoking bans such as Columbus’ are helping, said Marie E. Collart, president of the Central Ohio Breathing Association.

She said she doubts bar owners who say that they’re losing business.

"What’s important is we are saving lives," Collart said.

The number of people enrolled in quit-smoking programs rose shortly after the ban took effect, but the number has since dwindled, said Aaron Bryant, spokesman for the Ohio Tobacco Quit Line. About 645 people signed up in February and March, up from 450 last year.

But in the next three months, the number of Columbus smokers trying to quit dropped to the normal range, Bryant said.

Meanwhile, the ban continues to smolder in barstool discussions across the city, where it’s nearly as hot a topic as it was last summer when the Columbus City Council approved the law.

"People are still mad about it," said Mary Trebacz, a bartender at the Eagles Linden Fraternal Order Aerie 2252.

Others say patrons are happy they don’t have to breathe smoke in bars and restaurants.

"I think it has been a positive, without a question," said Bert Bertolo, manager of Barley’s Brewing, 467 N. High St. "It hasn’t affected the bottom line. I think our sales are at or above last year’s sales, and that is something to be proud of since we lost hockey."

Others haven’t closed but say they’re hurting. The owners of Byrne’s Pub on W. 3 rd Avenue say their first-half sales taxes amounted to $4,500 less than a year ago, reflecting a drop in revenues after the ban.

"Being one of the few bars that is actually in full compliance with the new law, I must admit it is working," coowner Pat Byrne wrote in an email to City Council members. "These numbers show just how."

Sales taxes could offer insight into the overall effect of the ban. But it’s impossible to break out tax receipts to determine whether bars and restaurants have taken a hit, city and county tax administrators say.

Though the ban’s effects may be debated, those who run bars and restaurants where smoking was common say they are learning to be creative.

Dillinger’s sometimes hands out fliers at Broad and High streets reminding people the restaurant on the 16 th floor of the LeVeque Tower has a patio just for smokers.

North Side bars have sponsored "bar crawls" to support one another.

Some thought the ban would cause a huge rise in memberships among area fraternal organizations, whose clubhouses have a limited exemption under the ban.

Membership increases haven’t been dramatic at the Eagles club where she tends bar, Trebacz said.

"We thought with the smoking ban we’d get so many we couldn’t handle it. But that hasn’t happened."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:38 am 
If the Dispatch would go into some other parts of town and interview a good handful of Ma and Pa establishments that are bars only and cannot recover revenue from food sales the headline would probably not be as sensational in support of this.

Pat Byrne hit the nail on the head, but there's many more like him concerning bars like his.....that offer live music.

As far as the Eagles, or other private lodges for that matter (ummm..I'm curious if they checked out the Moose, Elks, etc...and I see only one lodge was interviewed concerning the Eagles). I would seriously consider joining one if the music was a little less CW. However, I haven't played any lodges in several years, so I don't know if it still is mostly a CW crowd.

(I suppose I could handle a tear in my beer every once in awhile.....but I recently heard from a friend working in Nashville that CW trying to clean up lyrically recently and are encouraging new writers to not have that kind of subject matter in their songs if they want their songs pitched to the "right people". :!:)

I have been gigging out of town lately and I really have seen a difference in the turnout at the bars as compared to in town. People stay in the room and hang out for the entire night, not just for a set.

When bars (which do not have a restaurant option) are lumped in with those that do and all other restaurants across the board from kiddie friendly to others, you really do not get a good idea of what is really going on, even from more organized studies. The Dispatch article is no "study" in statistics on this, just a small handful of people being interviewed.

Last edited by LLDrumgirl on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:05 am 
Godzilla

Viva la fresh air!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:24 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:11 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:27 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

seems to be working so far for the other bars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:28 pm 
I'll give you that much.....most of the ones that were actually asked about it.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:53 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:19 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:42 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:18 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:15 pm 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:20 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:20 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:28 pm 

Post subject: Flat Beer in a busy bar?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:13 pm 
Snarf

Groundrules wrote: "Byrne's is actually quite open. I was there on saturday drinking flat beer and listening to live music. I paid my cover, and I wasn't alone. If they're having trouble keeping open, they should think about not charging four bucks for beer from a keg that's obviously no good. "

I'm from Philadelphia so I don't know the details for Byrne's, but flat beer and high prices could easily be a sign that business was down.

Post subject: Re: Flat Beer in a busy bar?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:42 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:26 am 
Godzilla

Post subject: Re: Flat Beer in a busy bar?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:38 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:15 am 
Jet Jaguar

It is so nice that you all are thinking about me, I am truly
flattered I was not forgotten! Of course corggirl will probably lock up this
thread since someone is here that will be able to show you the truth why
some of the uneducated or unknowing public are discriminating
against tobacco users and the tobacco industry, as I have said before you
can read the evidence here if you want;

http://www.speakohio.com/viewtopic.php?p=31584#31584

As for the above article and ban losses "in Columbus";

OH- Columbus- Ann and Mike's Main St. Tavern Tavern LOSSES-50%

"This is all my husband and I do for a living. This is it," she says. Saying
the smoking ban is destroying her profits. "I rang $37 on a Tuesday.
That's from 10am to 230am," Leslie said. "I've cut all my vendors in
half."

OH- Columbus Coin-Op Vending Vending LOSSES- 15% -Cigarette sales are down 50%.

They report the bars outside of the Columbus ban are doing record
business.

OH- Columbus Fitzwillys Bar

Judy Browning, owner, said she is losing customers to private clubs, such
as the Moose and Elks, which already are exempt from the policy. "As
long as cigarettes are legal, please allow the freedom of choice," she
pleaded. "As much as the loss of income affects us, it will affect city and
state revenue, too."

OH- Columbus Julian's Restaurant/Bar Closed LOSSES 100%

Owner Julian Sanfillipo says the smoking ban is to blame for the decline,
and eventual death of his business.

OH- Columbus Kacys Sports Bar & Grille Tavern LOSSES 50%

"Kacy's Sports Bar and Grill has room for 300 customers, but now, it's
virtually empty."

OH- Columbus Mulligan's Sports Pub Bar LOSSES 50%

They were the first business charged with violating the ban.

OH -Columbus Sinbad's Show Bar LOSSES 90%

"I don't know what to do, we've been in business for 15 years." Ron
Polster, owner, said he has been losing both customers and employees to
taverns in Reynoldsburg and Gahanna, which do not have indoor smoking
policies.

OH- Columbus Somewhere Else Tavern 3

"I feel bad. I've let three bartenders go," Tim Cashin says. "I'm seeing
revenue loss of $1200-$1500 a week."

OH- Columbus Sycamore Café Tavern Closing LOSSES 100% 100%

"After 42 years, the citywide smoking ban, in effect, will result in the
closure of our establishment." Ron and Marilyn Stone.

OH -Columbus Varsity Club Rest/ Bar

Has lost business, especially during happy hours -when about half of the
patrons used to smoke -said manager Laurie Watkins.

OH -Columbus WK Vending Vending LOSSES 15-25%

We supply to neighborhood taverns everything for coin operated
amusements, says Fowler. "Our bottom line is actually starting to drop."

If you would like to see what the future holds for Columbus
take a look at Toledo and state wide here;

http://www.smokersclubinc.com/banloss3.htm

This site is updated regularly so keep checking back and keep track
yourselves, in my opinion the above article is premature. It takes a sound
business at least a year or longer to fail completely; because a sound business
man/woman plans ahead for disaster; they put money back, for
emergencies; the ones that didn't do this will be the ones to feel the loss
quicker than others i.e. new bars, and owners who newly remodeled, etc.

Those of you who believe all is going well are underestimating this; when
any bar loses patrons it affects there yearly income, they have to start
cutting back on unimportant things, like outside entertainment, extra
waitresses and waiters, and yes maybe fresh beer; and prices increase,
to try and make up for the loss; will all of them fail? No, not all it is just
common since that some will survive, the patrons who are left will flock to
a few; but many will and many will lay off and cut pay; and some of those
people affected are people with families some of which will need
government assistance to eat and live, hope everyone is ready for that
tax increase...

http://www.speakohio.com/viewtopic.php?p=31584#31584

Hope to see you there!!! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:22 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

hey, it's kinda a slow day around here, y'all wanna try and make this go 10 pages again?

eyeopener, it looks like you're not eating out enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:29 am 
Godzilla

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next