It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official - Spitzer to run for Governor in NY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:14 pm 
Godzilla

Quote:
Spitzer to Run for Governor in New York

By MARC HUMBERT, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. - New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, whose investigations of white-collar crime have shaken the nation's financial institutions, said Tuesday he will run for governor in 2006.

Spitzer has long been known to be interested in the job, but it was the first time the high-profile attorney general has said he will definitely run.

"The state is at a point of crisis," the Democrat told The Associated Press. "We are bleeding jobs. We need reform in the process of government."

As someone with family in NY, "the state is at a point of crisis" line is not hyperbole. In Buffalo, because of massive revenue shortfalls, they're closing the libraries and GIVING AWAY ANIMALS FROM THE ZOO because they can't afford to keep them open. Gov. Pataki is supposedly going to run for again, but in a sold "blue" state with ecomonic problems, and name recognition Spitzer has built up, this could be a real contest in '06.

Dig Me Out BLOG, Twitter and Facebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:22 pm 
Mechagodzilla

i wholeheartedly endorse this.

http://www.spitzer2006.com

Post subject: Re: Official - Spitzer to run for Governor in NY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:54 pm 
Mothra

timstepford wrote:
As someone with family in NY, "the state is at a point of crisis" line is not hyperbole. In Buffalo, because of massive revenue shortfalls, they're closing the libraries and GIVING AWAY ANIMALS FROM THE ZOO because they can't afford to keep them open.

I'm from Buffalo, and still have family there who are terrified with what is happening. I was there over Thanksgiving when the County Executive announced he is raising the sales tax in Erie County from 8% to 9%. Also, the company that transferred me to Ohio (which started in Buffalo) is relocating all their Buffalo operations to Mexico. It doesn’t look good…

Here's a link to the Buffalo Library website:

http://www.buffalolib.org/libraries/advocacy.asp

I love the cartoon on the bottom of the page.

Post subject: Re: Official - Spitzer to run for Governor in NY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:39 pm 
Godzilla

TheYellowDart wrote:
timstepford wrote:
As someone with family in NY, "the state is at a point of crisis" line is not hyperbole. In Buffalo, because of massive revenue shortfalls, they're closing the libraries and GIVING AWAY ANIMALS FROM THE ZOO because they can't afford to keep them open.

I'm from Buffalo, and still have family there who are terrified with what is happening. I was there over Thanksgiving when the County Executive announced he is raising the sales tax in Erie County from 8% to 9%. Also, the company that transferred me to Ohio (which started in Buffalo) is relocating all their Buffalo operations to Mexico. It doesn’t look good…

Here's a link to the Buffalo Library website:

http://www.buffalolib.org/libraries/advocacy.asp

I love the cartoon on the bottom of the page.

Supposedly, Erie County (Buffalo and it's burbs) have two budgets proposed - a "red" and "green" budget. One cuts everything with no tax increase, the second increases the sales tax by a percent and pays for everything that gets cut. You can guess which ones the local Republicans are blocking. The problem is that the NY medicaid program is operating at a loss, so massive amounts of tax revenue goes just to pay for that. Almost all of the money collected from Buffalo is going to Albany.

On the bright side, my parents have picked up an emu, two zebras and a chimp at the zoo give-a-away. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:29 pm 
Mechagodzilla

tell them to steer clear of the gnus:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/07/wildeb ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:44 pm 
Godzilla

And polling is already out:

12/3-6 (MoE 2.9%)
Spitzer (D) 50
Pataki (R) 38

If Pataki decides to run for Senate, it's even worse:

Clinton (D) 58
Pataki (R) 36

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:33 pm 
Godzilla

...boy something's funky in New York...

http://nyobserver.com/pages/frontpage1.asp

There's also a rumor about Colin Powell being the (R) candidate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:41 pm 
Godzilla

Jawbreaker wrote:
There's also a rumor about Colin Powell being the (R) candidate.

We should file this in the memory machine:

Quote:
Secretary of State Colin Powell said Thursday he won't seek political office, dismissing suggestions that he run for governor or senator in New York.

Asked about a poll that shows him favored in a hypothetical matchup for the governor's race, Powell said, "I'm not going to be running for office even in my beloved home state of New York, as flattering as that poll might be." [...]

"I don't think I've ever said I wouldn't be interested in public life again," Powell said. "I think I've repeatedly said over the course of nine-plus years that I've had no interest in political office."
Link

Somehow, methinks Mr. Powell will be running for something sometime. Fresh out of this administration, he's probably a bit fatigued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:33 pm 
Mothra

Buffalo is getting much worse...

Quote:

Budget woes mean BYOTP in Buffalo

BUFFALO, New York (AP) -- It was BYOTP time in Buffalo: Bring Your Own Toilet Paper.

A county budget crisis left the bathrooms in a municipal office building with empty soap dispensers, paperless paper towel holders and bare cardboard toilet paper rolls. Employees also complained the bathrooms weren't being cleaned.

"It's almost humorous, but it's disgusting," said Bob Fioretti, who has worked in Erie County's Rath Building for 21 years.

"When people got to bring their own toilet paper and soap to wash their hands, it's like working in another country, a bad country," he told WGRZ-TV. Fioretti said there was waste piling up in some of the toilets.

A county environmental health crew went through the building Wednesday and said many of the bathrooms were clean and on the way to being restocked. Some toilets, however, looked like they had been deliberately plugged, said Kevin Montgomery, spokesman for the county Health Department. Those bathrooms remained closed while the health department awaited plumbers.

"The Building and Grounds Department has been cut severely," Montgomery told The Associated Press on Thursday. Besides losing money, the department has had layoffs.

"Towels and soap were running out, and that was also due to this fiscal crisis," Montgomery said. Replacement supplies couldn't be ordered until the county shifted money around.

The county, on the eastern shore of Lake Erie, is home to nearly 1 million people and encompasses the city of Buffalo, the weathered city that has struggled to rebuild its economy since the steel and grain mills closed down. Since the 1950s, the city has lost half its population and now numbers fewer than 300,000 people.

The county has had to slash 2,000 jobs and cut services to close a $100 million-plus shortfall in its $1.1 billion budget.

Rather than raise the sales tax, it cut funding for personnel, health clinics, auto bureaus, snowplowing, parks, the arts, school nurses and others services.

At one point, it was possible that zoo animals would become refugees, temporarily shipped off to other zoos for lack of funding. The county came up with the money to keep the animals home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:04 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Yeah, Pataki has manged to alienate everyone.

National REview's magaznie cover an issue back was dedicated to cruelly lampooning him...

Does this guy have any admirerers?