blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:15 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Kelly T@ylor wrote:
F it, let's tool on the guy's picture:

Ladies & Gentlepersons.... I give you:

Jerome Solove

Ironically found on the Office of the Ohio Consumers' Counsel website, he is the CHAIRMAN of the Residential Utility Advocacy

It's funny that they used a picture of Groucho Marx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:20 pm 
Godzilla

Cookie wrote:
annie oakley wrote:
If someone came to me and offered me three times the worth of my house tomorrow for the property, I would do it, hands down.

Uh huh. And what if you were just renting the house? (As in the original post.)

Well, with what I told Bennet, it is unfortunate not owning, because you don't have a say.

But the thing about renting, is that it is not permanent. If I were renting there, I would have moved three years ago when this all began.

That is why leases typically run a year.

He only has on tenant in there and there are four apartments.

confuseddildo.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:23 pm 

annie oakley wrote:
Well, with what I told Bennet, it is unfortunate not owning, because you don't have a say.

But the thing about renting, is that it is not permanent. If I were renting there, I would have moved three years ago when this all began.

If you were renting there, how much money do you think you'd have to relocate?

Quote:
He only has on tenant in there and there are four apartments.

So it's OK, because you're only forcing one person to be homeless? Again, whatever gets you through the night. I'm not about to applaud forcing people to move so we can have yet another fucking mall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:24 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Yes the "Milo-Grogan Community Urban Redevelopment Corp." is what you hear about when you hear people say things like: "the community is split on their opinion of the proposal," it's made up of developers and people who have been holding onto unused commercial land in the area for years. The fact of the matter is, that article is from late September... I didn't hear anything about it until late November, and most of the residents of the area didn't know anything about it until this weekend.

Richard Solove is Jeremy's father... I don't know if his donations are supposed to show me that they're good guys or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:25 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

annie oakley wrote:
If someone came to me and offered me three times the worth of my house tomorrow for the property, I would do it, hands down.

I think the point is that nobody has offered these people 3X for their homes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:26 pm 
Godzilla

Cookie wrote:
annie oakley wrote:

If you were renting there, how much money do you think you'd have to relocate?

Your security deposit.

I sleep great at night.

I have a bed like Kelly Taylor's, and to quote her, I wonder how I get up in the morning.

Post subject:
Godzilla

Bennett: I was just posting interesting findings. I are a internet detective!

Annie: A-OH! wait a minute here.... I just process the leases & deal with tenant issues and lease compliance. I'm on salary, not commission. I'm not a developer, I work for one. A big one, and they sure don't listen to my opinions.

My bed is a super PHAT sleigh bed we got as a wedding present!

Last edited by Kelly T@ylor on Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Mechagodzilla

This morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas.

How it got in my pajamas is beyond me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:27 pm 
Godzilla

groundrules wrote:
annie oakley wrote:

I think the point is that nobody has offered these people 3X for their homes.

Yes, I know, I mentioned it.

Cookie is asking why I feel justified doing what I do and frowning upon what is going on up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:28 pm 
Godzilla

Kelly T@ylor wrote:
I was just posting interesting findings. I are a internet detective!

Sleuth:)

NBC is in town doing a story on Norwood, I will let you know when it airs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:31 pm 

annie oakley wrote:
Your security deposit.

I sleep great at night.

I have a bed like Kelly Taylor's, and to quote her, I wonder how I get up in the morning.

The point is, if this neighborhood is so blighted, the rents are cheap, as are the security deposits, but the costs of moving and a new apartment are not necessarily as cheap. But it's nice to know that displacing poor people doesn't bother you a whit as long as there's money to be made off of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:35 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

I was thinking of other columbus analogies for this type of development. Easton was basically farmland is not urban. Same with Polaris. City Center or Nationwide Arena didn't really involve residences. Anybody been around long enough to recall the details of the Lennox Center project? That was old industrial to strip mall sort of. Seems to have worked out okay. Were people pissed? Displaced?

Last edited by groundrules on Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:36 pm 
Mechagodzilla

20 million dollars is a freaking ass-ton of money to be able to afford to donate. 'tis interesting indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:37 pm 
Godzilla

Cookie wrote:
annie oakley wrote:
Your security deposit.

I sleep great at night.

The point is, if this neighborhood is so blighted, the rents are cheap, as are the security deposits, but the costs of moving and a new apartment are not necessarily as cheap. But it's nice to know that displacing poor people doesn't bother you a whit as long as there's money to be made off of it.

The rents in this neighborhood aren't cheap. A two bedroom goes for $800.

Blight not only runs on conditions of the property but economics as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:37 pm 

groundrules wrote:
I was thinking of other columbus analogies for this type of development. Easton was basically farmland is not urban Same with Polaris. ... Were people pissed? Displaced?

That farmland was owned by people, and yes, some were pissed. But you can't fight Les Wexner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:40 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Clever snipping of my post Cookie, I know that not everyone was happy about those projects. I was discounting them because they were not urban, and therefore not a great analogy for the timken project, not because they were free of conflict. Thoughts on the Lennox Center (which was the main point of my post)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:44 pm 
Godzilla

Cookie wrote:
groundrules wrote:
I was thinking of other columbus analogies for this type of development. Easton was basically farmland is not urban Same with Polaris. ... Were people pissed? Displaced?

That farmland was owned by people, and yes, some were pissed. But you can't fight Les Wexner.

yes, homes were bought out to develop Easton. You'll still see some boarded up vacant houses along Steltzer. It had to be re-zoned. And lots of buildings were acquired to build City Center. Actually, NYC's Central Park developers tore down acres and acres of homes and commercial buildings, too.

I would be a super unsuccessful developer because I am intensely interested in renovating historic buildings. No one makes money doing that. I would only have about $20.00 to donate to the James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:50 pm 
Godzilla

Kelly T@ylor wrote:

I would be a super unsuccessful developer because I am intensely interested in renovating historic buildings. No one makes money doing that. I would only have about $20.00 to donate to the James.

That is what I want to do after I get enough experience and make enough money doing this :D :shock:

Yup, workin for the city tax abatements :shock: Scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:51 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Kelly T@ylor wrote:
Actually, NYC's Central Park developers tore down acres and acres of homes and commercial buildings, too.

You mean recently, or when the park was originally planned/constructed? I'd have to check my history again, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot up there in the 1800s.

okay, you're right. thanks google.

http://www.centralpark.org/history/

Quote:
An irregular terrain of swamps and bluffs, punctuated by rocky outcroppings, made the land between Fifth and Eighth avenues and 59th and 106th streets undesirable for private development. Creating the park, however, required displacing roughly 1,600 poor residents, including Irish pig farmers and German gardeners, who lived in shanties on the site. At Eighth Avenue and 82nd Street, Seneca Village had been one of the city's most stable African-American settlements, with three churches and a school. The extension of the boundaries to 110th Street in 1863 brought the park to its current 843 acres.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:55 pm 
Mechagodzilla

the whole god-damn country was taken by eminent domain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:56 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Kelly Taylor wrote:
You'll still see some boarded up vacant houses along Steltzer

This may be worth noting that some of these houses were bought by M/I or Dominion (sorry, can't remember which) Homes, which are developers, but ones that may be separate from the commercial shopping developers. From a housing perspective, some of the homes were purchased with the intention of making more houses. I know that in one case there, about 8 single family homes on acre+ lots were purchased to make room for condo units. So now you can have 1500 people occupying the same space that 20 or so did previously.

Last edited by groundrules on Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:57 pm 
Godzilla

yeah I saw a show about Central Park one time on the tv.

Paris was developed the same way. They displaced a lot of poor people out to the suburbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:59 pm 
Godzilla

groundrules wrote:
Anybody been around long enough to recall the details of the Lennox Center project? That was old industrial to strip mall sort of.

Lennox was just a huge industrial/factory/warehouse...for Lennox, of course...it was abandoned a while before the gigantic building was torn down...I don't believe any homes where displaced, nor "Eminent Domain" imposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:03 pm 
Godzilla

groundrules wrote:
Kelly Taylor wrote:
You'll still see some boarded up vacant houses along Steltzer

This may be worth noting that some of these houses were bought by M/I or Dominion (sorry, can't remember which) Homes, which are developers, but ones that may be separate from the commercial shopping developers. From a housing perspective, some of the homes were purchased with the intention of making more houses. I know that in one case there, about 8 single family homes on acre+ lots were purchased to make room for condo units. So now you can have 1500 people occupying the same space that 20 or so did previously.

Residential developers are no different than commercial but they are viewed in a more acceptable light. Developers make money off of condos, too. Ask Ken Wrightman of Prudential. Little bastard is splitting up the Victorian & Italian Villages into a sea of condos.

While I take issue with the abuse of eminent domain for commercial use, I support development over deterioration. It's just how it's done. Whether they buy people out directly or through eminent domain, it's how land gets developed. I'm not going to apologize for something that I don't partake in, but I understand why it needs to be done.

Bennett, did you get anywhere with Randy Black?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:06 pm 
Donewaiting.com Staff

Bennett wrote:
the whole god-damn country was taken by eminent domain

no man that was Manifest Destiny :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next