[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3184)
Donewaiting Friendship Farm • View topic - In the minority here, but....

blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:54 am 
King Ghidorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:04 am 
King Ghidorah

Here you go Denver, I'm sure they're completely innocent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:27 am 
Mechagodzilla

i find it funny when we (musicians) use our stage (or status) to proclaim the superiority of our views and then wonder why we only get the same people coming to our shows. we bitch about not getting on the radio or apathetic college kids or whatever, but we won't shut up when it comes to politics.

we deserve to be judged by our politics. it doesn't mean our music sucks, but if we put that out there as part of our image then it goes into the judging criteria. even with special effort to separate one's personal beliefs from those of the band as a whole, we're using status to put our views forward and get people talking about them; we deserve to bear full responsibility for our statements.

i am as guilty as any other musician in this regard.

i hope some of this makes sense. i'm drunk and just ate a "gut bomb" from taco ninja.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:19 am 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:31 am 
Donewaiting.com Staff

First off, thanks to all the people who have kept this discussion going in a pretty civil way. You're all niceys in my book. I know some people who think that message boards are just waste of time, but I think this thread once again proves that not to be the case. Smart discussions can happen, even on sensitive topics.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO....

If you no longer want to support the Whiles, you've also stopped supporting the Ramones for at least 2 years, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:21 pm 
Jet Jaguar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:58 pm 

Last edited by LLDrumgirl on Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:13 pm 
Snarf

Eh, the Ramones kind of came & went for me in the ’80s, so I guess I haven't supported them for at least the last two years.

One does have a choice when picking people/companies (and, by extension, bands) who deliver goods and services. I personally have been known to hold a grudge against places that I feel have wronged me. [I boycotted that Big Bear on High St. months before its demise, because I had had so many things ring up at the wrong price and was completely unsatisfied with the manager's way of dealing with it.] I have stopped going to restaurants where I've been treated badly. I would think twice before buying from a business if they had a Bush/Cheney sign in the window. But I would not stop or prevent anyone else from doing so. It's all a matter of choice.

So when I read that a member of the Whiles is outspoken enough in his beliefs to post them for all to see, they kind of go into the "avoid" column for me. Besides, it may not be about his band, but he did say in the first place that the band is "pretty split evenly as far as registered dems, registered repubs and indies" and that he's the independent! So one can conclude that there are one or more registered republicans in the group. He brought it up, whether the band likes it or not.

Joe's latest post really gives me pause. First off, I apologize for being harsh with the "no world view" comment--I misinterpreted what you were saying. As for embracing ignorance, sure that's a good place to start. But when I read the rest of your post, it just makes me really sad. Sad to think how many more there may be out there like you--JOE! You didn't want to vote for the president! I mean, you say "voting for Bush does betray a lot of values that I have"--with the exception of abortion (by your own account), it goes against pretty much everything you say you believe in.

You seem to be informed. You seem to have extremely moderate views on the war and social issues. But it is incredibly naive for you to think that this president's administration is not going to slowly erode civil rights. Roe v. Wade might not be overturned, but it will undoubtedly be more restrictive. The Christian Conservative stand on birth control (not only in this country, but also in the Third World) is appalling, and only compounds the problems that stem from a lack of access to safe and legal abortions. When you say "I am not trying to change any laws or anything," I say, yes, you are. You voted for Bush.

Like it or not, fear of gay marriage united 11 states to pass incredibly broad "same sex marriage" bans and with it, elect a president who should not (*in my view*) have been elected. And Ohio took it a step further, denying rights to heterosexual unmarried couples as well. It's sad, really really sad, that people voted on fear and hatred of "others" rather than fear and hatred of war and killing hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and thousands of US soldiers.

When the president said that he's looking forward to spending his new "political capital" and that he will "reach out to everyone who shares our goals," I shuddered with fear. It's going to be a long four years, friends, though I really hope I'm wrong.

I apologize for the long post....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:01 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:14 pm 
Mechagodzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:13 pm 
Mothra

Post subject: I might be in the minority here....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:52 pm 
Mothra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:43 pm 
King Ghidorah

Alcohol makes me more want to do, what it makes me less capable of doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:37 am 
King Ghidorah

Alcohol makes me more want to do, what it makes me less capable of doing.

Post subject: Re: I might be in the minority here....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:56 pm 
Friendship Farmer of the Year 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:46 am 
Godzilla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:52 am 
Godzilla

post the one with the collie instead, we've moved on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:13 am 
Godzilla

"The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other... involves orcs."
- Kung Fu Monkey

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5