blog | facebook | twitter
C'MON C'MON THE CLUB IS OPEN
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: finally, Columbus is getting a science+beer scene
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:48 pm 
Snarf

Hello All,

I don't know if anyone reading The Messageboard is interested in this, but I'm going to give it a shot and announce to y'all that the Columbus Science Pub is happening.

(If you're not familiar with the concept, science pubs/cafés are "live events that involve a face-to-face conversation with a scientist about current science topics. They are open to everyone, and take place in casual settings like pubs and coffeehouses." You can check out the website http://sciencecafes.org/ for more information, or just read the blurb that I've copied and pasted at the bottom of this message.)

Beginning in September, on the first Tuesday of every month, we'll be meeting at Hampton's on King for a bit of eating, drinking, and lively discussion. Our first speaker on September 7 will be Tara C. Smith, Assistant Professor of Epidemiology in the College of Public Health at the University of Iowa, Deputy Director of the University of Iowa Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases, founder of Iowa Citizens for Science, and very hip author of the blog 'Aetiology' (http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/).

I'm hoping to get as wide and varied an audience as possible. Anyone who's interested should check out the Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/ColumbusSciencePub or message me directly at columbussciencepub@gmail.com .

Thanks,
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------

What to expect at a science café:

A science café's casual meeting place, plain language, and inclusive conversation create a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere for people with no science background.

Who organizes science cafés?

Science cafés are spreading as a grassroots movement. The casual, open format readily engages the public in conversations about science. Many science cafés in the United States draw inspiration from café Scientifique, based in the UK.

No central organization controls all science cafés. As a result, each café has adapted to its own local culture and audience while keeping a focus on open, public conversation. Even the names of science cafés vary, including Science on Tap, Science Pub, Ask a Scientist, and café Sci.

-----------------------------------------------------